HybridZ

SBF over SBC

Hitman47

All you guys please shoot your opinions my way. Im thinking of using a 5.0 liter ford instead of a lt1 because

1.Its more original

2.They rev like bastards

3.Better efi

4.I plan turboing it and there are barely any apps for lt1

5.Lighter

6.cheaper

This is just an idea im kicking asround give me your opinions lt1 vs 5 liter

Chad

No swap is easy, but the Chevy swaps have become too “cookie cutter†for me. The Ford swap will require more fabrication skills, and lots of trial and ERROR. I went with the 94-95 5.0 because of the increased hood clearance, but the wiring, EGR, and short production run, make it a harder swap. If you decide to do the Ford, please don’t hesitate to post questions here or email me.

• 3 weeks later...

Smaller engine that gets worse MPG and an older EFI setup is somehow better?

I would agree the ignition is better than the Optipuke but no way do I think a virtually unprogrammable EFI setup that is older, is somehow "better." I dont think the horrible aero of the Mustang was completely responsbile for the gas mileage disparity, and the fox body was certainly lighter to boot.

The intake on the 5.0 should also be replaced, where the LT1 intake does not need replacement. Either one could benefit eventually from a larger TB.

I still want the 5.0 but I dont believe at all that the EFI is "better." If you are allergic to computers then you can get a timing adjuster and larger injectors along with a "re-tuned" MAF for the 5.0, in which case for someone non-techy then yes its "better" because there are bandaids for you if you scream when you look at timing and fuel tables.

Guest Rick Merrifield

I've been thinking the same thing. I like the front-mounted distributor and the compact size of the Ford SB. They also seem lighter and smaller than a Chevy, but I've seen some conflicting information regarding the relative size and weights of SBC's vs. SBF's. A book called Crate Motor Buyers Guide (John Baechtel, Car Tech Books) notes that a SBC is smaller in all dimensions except the stock exhaust manifolds. Having owned both types of engines (but never actually having measured them), this surprised me. The Chevy is probably easier and cheaper to hop up and the front oil sump of the Ford also seems to be something of an issue. Does anyone out there have some good information comparing the weight, dimensions and relative advantages of these two engines?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stickaz

the 302 is definitely smaller and about ~100#'s lighter, apples to apples on engine dress and iron vs. aluminum heads/intake, etc.

I personally have a garage full of 302 parts :oops: , you may not.

I own a vortec-350 in my chevy truck and I'm sure somebody can just look the size up online but the 302 is narrower for sure. Yes they share the same bore, but the Chevy has an extra 1/2 stroke and is taller and wider because of it, very similar dimensions to the ford 351w, notwithstanding main journal size.

• 3 weeks later...

Its in there now but I got tired of the whole deal and I've always intended to eventually have a V8. The only way I'm going to get myself to do it is to give away the L6 and just DO IT.

This will also give me a nice spot to prep the engine bay and such before hand, I actually have a garage to work in now. I'd go LS1 if I felt like spending more time and a lot more bread, but I like cheapish toys too much. I got rid of the Camaro also awhile back so I've been pondering a bike or 99/00 FRC C5 (hardtop)...

Saw your LS1 vid, very nice! Got tired of the old LT1 eh? Me too :D

I put in a 302 in my old 280 before, good motor. I like the LS1 alot more than the LT1. The best part about the 302 swap is the price. Put on a set of heads and a good cam in the 302 and then you will love it. I am also looking for a FRC 99-00 corvette, I test drove one last night but it was junk.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cptn60
Smaller engine that gets worse MPG and an older EFI setup is somehow better?

I would agree the ignition is better than the Optipuke but no way do I think a virtually unprogrammable EFI setup that is older' date=' is somehow "better." I dont think the horrible aero of the Mustang was completely responsbile for the gas mileage disparity, and the fox body was certainly lighter to boot.

The intake on the 5.0 should also be replaced, where the LT1 intake does not need replacement. Either one could benefit eventually from a larger TB.

I still want the 5.0 but I dont believe at all that the EFI is "better." If you are allergic to computers then you can get a timing adjuster and larger injectors along with a "re-tuned" MAF for the 5.0, in which case for someone non-techy then yes its "better" because there are bandaids for you if you scream when you look at timing and fuel tables.[/quote']

Actually, the EEC-IV processor can be "Intercepted". Check Anderson Ford Motorsport, they sell a PMS used to change parameters. Verrry easy to use. Curious as to why you would want to change intakes? Stock intake should be good to 350hp. The cyl heads are a different story. If someone is non-techy they could always go carb'ed. I agree with everything else you said, btw.

I really don't think the LS1 is that much more than the Ford 302 - especially given the difference in the technology levels. It also is lighter than the L28 or the 302, develops more HP and torque, and gets better fuel economy than the 302. Aftermarket parts are becoming plentiful and pricing is no worse to better than the 302. It's kind of a pay me now or pay me later thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally... I think you get what you pat for with a 5.0 motor.

It's easy to find a "decent" donor car to scrap a motor from. But it's also very easy to get a lemon of an engine.

So if you look at crate prices then the 5.0 isn't totally cost effective. I've always thought of them as a mid-priced engine. Nothing really cheep about it. I've seen some really cheep crate 5.0 motors but you gotta question the quality. A good 340 Fly wheel HP 5.0 will cost about 3500. Then you need a tranny. So that right ther is a pretty penny.

The REAL beuty of the 5.0 motors is that there is no lack of parts and aftermarket support is plentful. I've seen people get 800+HP on the stock short block. And with a good build you can hit any HP amount you want.... But same could be said about a SBC.

Personally i didn't know that the SBF was lighter than the SBC. Always something new to learn :wink:

I think i'm going to go with a SBF hybrid because of the SOUND. I hate the sound of LS1 motors. Sorry chevy people. That's just my opinion. Some of them can be made to be bearible (to me) but the sound of a carbed ford is like nothing else to my ears.

Well, that's my 02 cents. Oh yea, the 5.0 motors DOES rev like a monster, expecially once force induction is installed. A stock 5.0 motor revs faster than any low HP V8 I can think of. Hope i didn't make anyone hate me.... :o

Gotta agree about the sound of the Ford 5.0 vs the LS1. I've got 8,000 miles on my LS1 conversion and I'm getting ready to redo the exhaust - engine sounds like crap - nothing like the throaty rumble of the Ford motor - but then again - what motor sounds better other than maybe a Ferrari V12?

• 4 weeks later...