HybridZ

Carbon Z Hood

mustard-z

Guest Joe17

very nice job... i hope the hood isnt too bit now that you have used the old hood as your mold. i guess its not too thick. well.. goodluck with your project.

Yeah, i could do a write up. Basicly the steps that you see there are exactly how you do it. Wax the part untill it is a slippery nipple(for me that was 4 coats) then we used this stuff called PVA witch is also a mold release agent. Then you spread a light coat of resin on the part, then lay the first ply down, work the bubbles out and add more resin to completely wet the cloth, work the cloth into the corners and such. Then add more resin to the cloth and work around, then add the next ply of cloth. Just repeat for the number of plies you want, for me that was 3. Then to finish we did the same operation with the resin, just added carbon cloth to the top.

Now, this isn't a true carbon hood, being 100% carbon but it will be fine. The cost of carbon cloth is extremely expensive, somewhere close to 30 bux a yard, and you would need maybe 6 yards to do a somewhat flimsy hood. Mine is only for racing and therefore wouldn't be suitable for street use, so an additional 2 plies would be good. just FYI carbon is about 3x stronger than glass.

Well, install should be by next weekend, the parts are curing this weekend, as I sprayed some clear over them.

As far as what I have in materials, it is somewhat hard to tell. My buddy gave me 1gallon of resin and hardner and the glass/carbon to do the hood. However, I decided to do the fenders too while I was there.

The hood and each fender took 6 yards of glass and 2 yards of carbon to do 1 ply carbon and 3 plies of glass and took 1/4 gallon of resin/hardener.

The carbon costs something like $30/yard

The glass costs something like $15/yard

The resin&hardener costs something like $70/gallon

So for my two fenders and hood I have 150 bux in it with leftover carbon and resin for small projects.

The hood/fenders are definately too lite for street use, the hood weighs like 5-6lbs and isn't tremendously sturdy. There is no structure for using hinges either, just pins.

The finish is kind of up to you, and how well the lay-ups are. If there are a ton of bubbles then you will see small bumps. The one dissapointing thing is that we changed the orientation of the 3rd glass ply in the hood and had to make some joints and unfortunately those can be seen through the carbon. If i did it over I wouldn't have changed the orientation and just run 3 plies of glass in the same orientation. The finish is somewhat unique on mine. I didn't build up the clear coat so the texture of the carbon weave is still evident, but it's got the shine of the clear coat. I will have to get some pictures to show it. The effect is absolutely stunning.....I think.

• 2 weeks later...

haha. That dash is actually 1/8" ply wood with a .025" thick brushed aluminum laminate over the top. It's mounted so far forward that it is actually pretty tough to touch it. I guess I will see the good/bad/ugly at the first race in Medford in a few weeks. :D

Just about everyone that i've shown the pix/car to is gaga over the dash. I think the carbon stuff is TOTALLY cool. Thanks for the nice comments.

Aren