HybridZ

Should I spend big on a fuel pump?

Hey guys,

I'm doing a turbo swap 350-400hp application. I have a friend selling a good used fuel pump for $215 bucks $300 brand new. Are there any JY alternatives I could look for? I don't want to go cheap but if the high price fuel pumps aren't necessary I don't wanna spend extra. One more thing, when using the 240sx TB is there any modifications that need to be done to the linkage to make it work? I also heard that the Ford TB's would work. What year/model fords will work? And last, is 50-75 too much to pay on ebay for a TB? Thanks a lot

Dave

Guest bastaad525

Agreed, that walbro is just above $150, and will be more than enough for the power numbers you are shooting for. Actually, quite a few of us are using the MSD fuel pump, part #2225, which is rated up to 500hp for turbo applications, and is even cheaper, at about $75 to $100.

Sleeper Z uses a Porsche/Bosch fuel pump, which he picks up from junkyards for like $15, if I remember correctly. I THINK it was from the 944 but I'm not sure, but I know he's putting down like 300hp and 400ft lbs of torque running that pump.

Guest 81na ZX
Agreed, that walbro is just above $150, and will be more than enough for the power numbers you are shooting for. Actually, quite a few of us are using the MSD fuel pump, part #2225, which is rated up to 500hp for turbo applications, and is even cheaper, at about $75 to $100.

It still flows a bit less than the 255lph Walbro ;) MSD: 43gph = 160-ish lph. If you can find a walbro for about $115, I'd buy it for the insurance/room over the MSD. (I got a 255lph In-Tank with an install kit for my talon for around $95)

Walbro has that 190lph fuel pump the GSL394. I noticed it is about the same price as the GSL392, though. I would think that would serve most peoples needs well. I was wondering what most guys are using for fuel lines. I was thinking of using the stock lines in my '77 280Z but I am not sure if they are large enough for higher hosepower hybrid turbo motors. What are most of you using? If you did switch lines, are you using solid lines or flexable, or....? I am especially interested in what fellow 280 car owners are using. Sorry for Hijacking this thread, but I figured it kind of went along with the fuel pump issues.

3/8" feed, 5/16" return for me. Plenty of fuel for 99% of the L-series turbo's out there.

I'm using the factory hard lines - 5/16" feed and return. I used a 12mm feed to my pump, and -6AN lines after my fuel filter and before my FPR.