HybridZ

LS1 Motor Mount options

I purchased John's kit. I have no complaints. Gonna drop the motor in this weekend. Soo far everything fits like a glove just like John states. I agree with Phantom' date=' talking to John, gotta know where he is coming from. He has been help full. The kit is well designed and thought of! Spent around 1,200. What I didn't get was a/c(non a/c car), radiator(have mine recored locally) headers,(using Sanderson in S.S.F like mas280). This project is gonna work and fly!! The cool thing is the amount of information on this website. When i get stuck it's nice to have mas280 close. I'll be calling you Mike!! Thank you!

JOEY [/b']

Joey,

Glad to hear there is another JCI LS1 in the making. I hope all goes smoothly with the install this weekend. Let us know if you have any problems with the Sanderson headers fitting with the motor in the JCI position. How much are the Sanderson headers, anyway?

Are you using an Auto or manual trans.?

Please try to document as much as possible of your swap to share with the list. We all need your help.

Best of luck!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking forward to seeing how the LS1 conversion kit goes and what your opinoins are after the car is up and running in stable form.

I also need to state that I am sorry that it appears that I ruffled some feathers out there. I can say that if someone is trying to sell a product that they should not kill a sure sale inside of 5 minutes. It might be that John (at least I believe that is the person I spoke with) was having a bad day or something. I don't know and that should not matter to a person that is about to buy. He had the sale with me before I called and I was just calling to ask a few quick questions. The first question was does his kit work with the LS6 also. His answer was what is that? (I just figured I would call Gm and ask the differences directly). The second question I asked was how much is the total complete kit price so that I can put a LS1 with an automatic transmission with AC, headers, and have the gauges work. HE said go to my website and add the numbers together, then he paused and said 3000 or more. The third question I asked was is it better to do the LT1 kit since it is proven or would he say the LS1 is going to be better. (His shortness and lack of wanting to say what the kit cost made me think he did not care for the LS1 kit for some reason). His answer was for that kind of information and advice I would need to pay for. At that time I said okay I guess I should re-think what I want to do and thanked him for his time and said bye. That is very close to the exact conversation that went on and it took under 5 minutes to go from where I was going to buyu the LS1 kit to making me wonder if that was the right kit and finally to saying I don't want to give this guy any of my money for his stuff. But just to be perfectly clear, I 100% was going to place an order with him that day and he made me start looking for other options. I even called JTR and Motorsports and stated that if they would develope a kit I would supply the car the motor and transmission and pay for the kit if they wanted to test things. IT seems they are busy working other angles at this time. In any case it may have been a bad day for John when I talked to him that day but if he is really just out to make a buck he lost that day. I will wait and see how things go with some of you with his kit and other home grown kits and try to figure it out again within the next few months. Once again I am sorry to have ruffled some feathers out there but as you said he is out to make money. He just needs to realize how not to miss out on a sure deal that he had in his hand. I hope that John (or whomever it was that I spoke to that day) reads these forums and realizes that they should concider every person that calls to be a potential customer and no matter if they are having a bad day or not that is how they should look at it. Like I said he lost out on making his buck that day with me. I will probably call again since many of you are supporting his product, which is a positive note and I would love to have the same positive feelings, but I might wait to see how it goes with others first.

Also if others are concidering a group purchase, I would like to have a chance to concider it myself.

Robert

To All:

When you call JCI be sure you are actually talking to John. There are others that get on the phone. Once you have John also be sure to let him know that your calling based on my recommendation (Bill Davis). Be patient, be polite and it will work out. You will just have to warm up to each other. LS1 conversion kits constitute about 1/2 of 1% of his business. In other words, at this point, he really doesn't care if he sells one or not. If the numbers increase and he realizes it has potential it will get better. I know that he already has a 280Z, 280ZX and Z31 chassis on his property to be able to do more development at a future date - if the business warrants it.

To answer some questions????? If qwik240z or others are interested on what the project has costed me so far. I will start a new topic with numbers and info. If I can figure how to post pictures I will do as the project comes along. The trans is a auto-4l60e

To Phantom so far so good. I will have questions. Johns manaul is not the greatest. It makes you think and he has revised alot of it. I just have to get ahold of him and get the revised addition.

To Mas280. The swap is being done at my shop. I work 6 days 10 hours a day repairing everybody elses car's but mine!! Not alot of free time. I will be here sunday. Gonna clean the compartment, remove the trans supports from the tunnel and in she goes! Soo you still have a set of test headers?? Maybe they will fit. Gotta bring your Z by!! I have your number and will be in touch!! Thank you very much!!

To all.... When I bought my LS1 and trans from Emerald Coast Engeering from Merv Cray. E-mail fuelinjectionman@cox.net. He offered me adapter plates for what I remember 50.00. To use older style small block mounts. I got off on the wrong foot with John cause he kept on telling me what or you don't need plates with my kit. I didn't know he already designed a kit just for the LS1. No his kit doesn't use adapter plates for older style mounts. I was also aproached by Mike Knell (the god that wrote the JTR datsun v8 conversion manual) to use my car as a mule. He never got back to me and thats where I'am today!!

Thanks for you people!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOEY

To answer some questions????? If qwik240z or others are interested on what the project has costed me so far. I will start a new topic with numbers and info. If I can figure how to post pictures I will do as the project comes along. The trans is a auto-4l60e

To Phantom so far so good. I will have questions. Johns manaul is not the greatest. It makes you think and he has revised alot of it. I just have to get ahold of him and get the revised addition.JOEY

Joey,

I would love to see what it cost to for your project so far. Please let us know. Also, you can set up an account with the classiczcars.com to post pics.

http://www.classiczcars.com

What do you mean by "Johns manual is not the greatest"??

Thanks for paving the course for use with the JCI kit.

The only way to get John's manual is to buy the engine mounting kit, and the manual pertains only to install his kit. It does walk you through removing the old set up. basic wiring, torque specs and alot of step by step. Don't skip steps! He did revise it, just gotta get it faxed to me. I'm sure all would agree is to get the JTR book. Even though it doesn't menction the LS1, It is a great book!!!

The only way to get John's manual is to buy the engine mounting kit, and the manual pertains only to install his kit. It does walk you through removing the old set up. basic wiring, torque specs and alot of step by step. Don't skip steps! He did revise it, just gotta get it faxed to me. I'm sure all would agree is to get the JTR book. Even though it doesn't menction the LS1, It is a great book!!!

I own both the JTR Datsun Z V8 manual and the JTR TBI/TPI swap manual. I have read Both of them several times. They offer good info on the swap as well as info on adapting the trans to drive a speedo, exhaust systems, fuel systems, cooling systems, etc. They are well written and provide most of the info in terms that a moderately knowledgeable person can understand.

I guess I still want to know what you meant when you said that

"Johns manual is not the greatest" .

I am still highly considering using the JCI kit and I want to make sure that a person with my level of skills will be able to understand and follow the manual.

Seeing that the cost of the Sanderson Headers are so much ($700) the JCI kit is looking more attractive.

I wish I was closer to your guys so I could come and see the LS1 Z cars upclose but I guess I will have to live with the photos and info you provide for which I am extremely grateful.

Best of luck with the install on Sunday, Joey. I'm sure it should go smoothly. And with Mike close by you have extra help. Please try to document as much as possible for the rest of us and post some pics asap.

Thanks!

I purchased John's kit. I have no complaints. Gonna drop the motor in this weekend. Soo far everything fits like a glove just like John states. I agree with Phantom' date=' talking to John, gotta know where he is coming from. He has been help full. The kit is well designed and thought of! Spent around 1,200. What I didn't get was a/c(non a/c car), radiator(have mine recored locally) headers,(using Sanderson in S.S.F like mas280). This project is gonna work and fly!! The cool thing is the amount of information on this website. When i get stuck it's nice to have mas280 close. I'll be calling you Mike!! Thank you!

JOEY [/b']

Joey,

Did you get the motor in the car? How is it going? Please give us an update.

Thanks!

I looked at the car today but He was not there. He has the motor and trans in. I took the Sanderson headers over for a test fit, but I will have to try when he is at the shop. JOEY your car looks good, looks like only a few more weeks for the swap?

Mike

Came to the shop on Sunday with a mission!! Had to redo the left mounting bracket cause I had two spacers mixed up. Took alittle time. I also had to remove the trans mounting brackets from the tunnell. Then I cleaned the engine compartment with simple green and a small pressure washer, looks good. I used a tilting device to get a serious angle to drop in as recommended by jtr and johns. The tool atatches to the four corners of the heads. Problem there came when the rear chains hit the fire wall with about a inch to go. That sucked. Sooo I had to go to the old chain method to get that one inch. I broke the oil pressure switch on the rear of the motor on install. rec. removing. I also had to remove the alternator to get the long mounting bolt in on the drivers side. I installed the motor with no intake. I've been waiting for my LS6 intake from ebay, arrived yesterday. I still have to install the trans bracket, ran out of time.

QWIK240. I saw pictures of your motor. My motor looked indentical to yours. My set up is a 00 LS1 w/ 4L60E with 18k. Yours being a 02 motor you already have the LS6 intake!!

What next?!?!?! Gonna get the trans adapter installed, Call Dynatec about my harness and ECU. They have had it for about four weeks, I've heard they are slow. No biggie. Send my radiator out to get the four cores. Look into some kind of shifter. Want something small that will fit into the stock consul. A accel cable. And get a hold of Mike to see if his headers will fit. Let me get the trans mounted and I'll get a hold of you Mike. Thanks for stopping by on monday. Sorry I missed you. I'm off every other monday.

Will be doing a post on cost soon running out of internet time now!!!!

JOEY

P.S. On exhaust manafolds, I can't see how any cast manafold will fit. Not much room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might want to use a camaro or a griffin radiator. They will cool better than a stock 4 core radiator. I have used stock 4 core radiator and they work ok but not as good as a griffin. You will not need the oil presure switch.

Mike

Joey,

Sounds great. It's good to hear that it is going in relatively smoothly. You mentioned a trans adapter. Is that to drive the speedo?

Please, Please, Please (I don't like to beg) take pictures. If you don't have a digital camera go buy a disposable one. You can have it developed onto a disc. I will even chip in to pay for it and I think that others interested will too.

Try to docummet the process for us that follow the trail behind you.

Thanks for all of your help.

MAS280 - Are you sure about not needing the oil pressure switch? That is tied into the ECM and is one of the things it monitors and will alarm you on through the engine warning light. I made sure it and the engine temp switch are functional on my system so I have a redundant idiot light in case my cabin gauges fail or I forget to look at them often enough.

JCI sells an adapter that will take an input from the electronic output of a T56 or 4L60E and use it to control the speed on an electric motor that will drive your stock speedomenter & odometer. I believe, however, that some of the older 4L60E's can be set up with a mechanical output that would eliminate that. That is the way Lone Star 1 has his car set up.

The 4 row Datsun radiator with the Camaro fans & shroud have handled 105° Texas weather with the AC on full bore on my car in stop 'n go traffic with the engine never exceeding 195°F. Can't really talk down that combination with that kind of proven performance.

Those truck manifolds that qwik240z posted (in another thread) may fit.

Stock oil pressure switch is entirely separate from the ECU - it does not use that signal at all. You will of course need some kind of oil press. sender there though. I used the Autometer sender (with an adapter, some fittings, etc. - the autometer sender is HUGE) with an autometer guage. The ECU does use the signal from the water temp in the driver side head though. I put my autometer sender in the pass. side head - the heads are identical, pass side has a plug. Adapters are sold in a package. Got mine from a Yahoo shop ("barn" something?).

Was the intake off the motor when you dropped it in then? Must've been or you would've also broken the MAP sensor housing. Mine was broken. Nevermind - you did mention getting an LS6 manifold.

That speedo adapter thingio is a bit of an expensive Rube Goldberg. An electric speedo costs about half as much. I guess if you truly must insist onstock guages, it's the only way to go.

By trans adapter I mean the trans mounting bracket and mount. Yes I've been taking pictures all the way with a Cannon a60 camara.

I'am sticking with all oem gauges. Johns "vital fluids" package came with adapters for temp and oil pressure. He list it as the set up coming with sending units but all I got was adapters. Know anything about this Phantom? The oil pressure is a housing that goes in place of the oem one by the oil filter, for use with the datsun sender and the temp adapter goes in place of a brass plug, left front of the block. I also purchased the speedo adapter from johns. Phantom!! does your Z use this and if so where did you mount it? One more question??? Do I need to send my tac to Johns to get converted or can I follow JTR'S book and get it to work????? O.k. Haven't done a search yet.. What brand and model shifter will fit in my center consul?

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!

JOEY

By trans adapter I mean the trans mounting bracket and mount. Yes I've been taking pictures all the way with a Cannon a60 camara.

I'am sticking with all oem gauges. Johns "vital fluids" package came with adapters for temp and oil pressure. He list it as the set up coming with sending units but all I got was adapters. Know anything about this Phantom? The oil pressure is a housing that goes in place of the oem one by the oil filter' date=' for use with the datsun sender and the temp adapter goes in place of a brass plug, left front of the block. I also purchased the speedo adapter from johns. Phantom!! does your Z use this and if so where did you mount it? One more question??? Do I need to send my tac to Johns to get converted or can I follow JTR'S book and get it to work????? O.k. Haven't done a search yet.. What brand and model shifter will fit in my center consul?

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!

JOEY[/quote']

Joey,

I can't wait to see the pics. I am also planning on keeping the stock guages.

Is the trans mount similar to the JTR mount? Does it have provisions for the exhaust to run beneath it?

Thanks!