HybridZ

Got OIL?

BillZ260

I got the Camaro radiator I won off of ebay in the mail, great right? Yeah, so I open the box and there is used engine oil in the box, weird, ok. Pull out the rad, looks to be in GREAT shape, exelent, BUT! The inside has lots of BLACK used engine oil. It's not milky at all, so it is like some on poured it in there? I email the guy and he said he had it stored and shouldn't have had anything spilled into it.

I am sure it's fine, just needs to be cleaned...

SO What should I do, take it to a radiator shop and have it cleaned up and preasure tested just to make me happy or can I clean that oil out myself? What would that cost?

Any suggestions, ideas?

Thanks!

The first and last time I had something pressure tested, the shop gouged the inside fins badly. It wasn't a radiator, it was an IC, but I was PO'd. I'd just run some Simple Green through it, rinse well and install it. If there are leaks, it will become obvious quickly.

Flush it with some Simple green or whatever and warm water THEN pressure test it. I think a pressure testing kit can be rented from Auto Zones loan a tool program. By all means test it BEFORE you install in.

I took my heater core down to the rad shop the guy tested it and found no leaks, didn't charge me a dime. I threw him a fiver for his time anyway.

As far a the oil in it well maybe he was running it as a HUGE oil cooler :D

ds