HybridZ

convert to mechanical clutch with 327/wc T5

Anyone out there have a mechanical clutch setup in their v8 240z with a 5 speed. I have my 3rd hydraulic throwout bearing leaking with less than 300 miles on all 3 of them! I have given up and want a good old fashioned mechanical. Anyone help me with this process and what I will need.

Not being a mechanic or done this before I was hoping someone could tell me what I need in terms of specific hardware. Once I know what parts I need I am logical enough to figure out how to do it myself. When I installed the drivetrain the hydraulic was recommended so I purchased a McLeod. I have tried both the original design and the new design and both have started to leak within 100 miles. When I purchased the transmission there were no mechanical/hydraulic fittings or throw out bearing on it so I am not sure what I need.

IF you have a T-5 five speed, pick up a stock chevy bellhousing from an 84-92 Z-28 five speed car and you can utilize the stock slave cylinder. Its external and, in the slight chance you would have a leak, its right out there and easily accessible, unlike the "ton-of-work-to-get-to" hydraulic throw out bearing.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Other options are an 83 Z/28 bellhousing that used a cable clutch, or an aftermarket scattershield drilled for the T5 that will use a standard mechanical arm. But why reinvent the wheel? Just do as suggested above and use the Camaro slave with the appropriate master. Details in the JTR manual.

Do you mind me asking where the hydraulic was leaking? I installed a mcleod and it leaked around the swivels. I removed them and put in brake fittings and connected the lines to them and no leaks now. I am now wondering if I will have a leak problem down the road with the bearing cylinder itself.

Thanks

Dennis

Let me know if you need a t5 camero bell housing I have one extra with a cylinder.

Guest Phil1934

'83 was crossover arm, not cable. I've got an extra '83 housing, but I've busted one crossover arm so that's not foolproof either. I'd go with the external slave cylinder off a later model.

Not an answer here, but I've got to scratch my head on your hydraulic T/O bearing problems as well. The McLoed units appear to be well built, and the swivel leak problems should be fixed with the newer design. I've got the old style, and it eventually started leaking after many thousands of miles around the swivels. I instead replaced the O-rings in the swivels, and it was good as new again.