HybridZ

LS1 build up

Guest ac260z

Guest ac260z

This may be kind of a novice question, but since I am still a novice I figured what the hell. with all of the info on the board about the LS1 vsLT1 I am neing swayed towards the LS1. To get this motor to produce net rwhp of 375 or so and torque of equal or greater numbers what would have to be done to it. Since I am looking to buy a donor vehicle for this swap can I get the power realatively easily or would it need a complete rebuild with a lot of aftermarket parts? Is a donor vehicle necessary or can a EFI swap be done without one?

I can tell you that it is very easy to get 374 to 400 rwhp from an LS1 setup using stock heads. You will need a good set of headers and a free flowing exhaust, an aftermarket cam of 224 to 230 duration (Thunder racing has some nice setups with dyno sheets) with matching valvesprings and retainers, hardened pushrods, an LS6 intake, and some tuning. Optional would be a ported TB, Smaller crank pully, kaytec chain set, ported oil pump. Same setup with aftermarket heads can pull 425 to 450.

First of all - go to http://www.LS1tech.com and ask the same question. The LS6 intake and a good set of heads with an oversize throttle body and good exhaust will pretty much get yo what you want. My car is runny 365 HP and 325 TQ at the flywheel - essentially stock except for K & N and headers - and not very good headers. If you get a 2001/2002 LS1 - it comes with the LS6 intake.

If you read a previous posting by Savage42, the experts on the LS1 do not recommend porting the throttle body - just go ahead and buy an 85mm one.

DaleMX,

Sorry guy - didn't intend the "go to LS1tech.com" for you. It was meant as a friendly suggetion for ac260Z to have a source to get a lot more info on the engine. You're obviously versed on the engine.

Also, if you go to the the thread started by Savage42 on the article in Superchevy Magazine on Do's & Ddon'ts for building up the LS1 you'll see there was no recommendation to port the throttle body - I assume you mean 'match port'? - unless you are going for 600+ HP. It also recommended not porting the MAF - just to go to an 85mm one. Interesting read. That is the reference I was using for my comments.

Phantom I went 11.7@114 at the track. The next week I went I ported the TB and put on a underdrive pulley, I was able to run 11.4@117 with these mods. My 3rd week at the track I went 11.5@119mph I spun the tires this week. Everyone that I have talked to said that the ported TB is worth 5-7 rwhp. Next month I will take it out with some slicks to get some real times. Right now I am working on the inside of the car--installing dynamat.

Those already sound like real times. I can't wait to see what you do with slicks. Auto tranny looks like a winner at the strip for the LS1. Fastest Z06 at the track last time I went was an automatic. . .he ran 10.9. Maybe you can beat that with a little more tweaking. By the way, he had 2 stage 150 shot of NOS., you don't. You go boy!

MAS280 - Who am I to argue? Just repeated what I read that I thought was reputable. You go guy! What's involved with porting the TB? Did you actually open yours up or just clean it up and match it to the intake?

Has anyone heard about "removing the screen from the MAF"? I haven't even pulled mine apart to look at it and determine if I even still have one. Just too busy working on other things that it hasn't gotten on the radar screen yet.

Phantom, That is good info, just not up to date. LS1 stuff changes all the time and by the time they print it it's outdated. 400 RWHP is old hat now.

By the way, just leave the screen in, your tuner will thank you.

I had Janzer port mine and powder coat it at same time. I'll post a pic later, it's a nice unit.

Edit:

Here it is.

http://www.circuitflex.com/Janzer.jpg

Dale

maichor - That auto must have been swapped because no Z06 comes with an automatic trans. I think that would be a pain to do with the trans being in the back.

As for removing the screen, it's worth a few hp. I've never seen any tuning problems related to it and you can remove the screen in a few minutes with a sharp object. The MAF should be polished to remove any roughness left after the screen is removed.

Well - the way I look at it right now - I need to do something about the single 2 1/2" exhaust before I worry about the MAF or TB. That's going to take a while though because I'm not about to give up what little ground clearance I have now. Currently I'm streetable but a larger diameter exhaust will reduce the clearance by that much and that just wouldn't be a good idea.

I'm currently building a LS1 motor for the 99 Vette I own and I also have one of the BEST LS1 Edit tuners in the COUNTRY who is aiding in the build. All I can tell you is what he has strongly suggested, and he tunes LS1 and LS6 motors for a living using a DYNO and his setup in his shop... Jeff Creech is his name and he goes by the name of Milk Man on LS1tech.com. Pete Paraska and I have been to his shop in Durham, NC. And he is certainly VERY knowledgable.

Jeff DOES NOT recommend using a larger MAF and he DOES NOT recommend removing the screen. He is a fan of the LS6, the BLACK WING, and the VARARAM. Jeff also likes the Thunder 224/224 114LSA cam kit, which is what I'm running. He also likes the kooks header set up.

Bottom line is there are TONS of options out there to make the LS1 run well... I've spent about $2900 to date on the new LS1 heads, Thunder Racing cam package, JE forged pistons, forged HBeam rods, Z06 upper induction (Intake, injectors, TB, rails, plumbing) and a new block and crank. We are running near stock bore, stroke, and compression.

We're building ours to Jeff's spec and using his data on what has worked with other cars he has tuned to well over 410 Wheel HP. I will NOT have more than $5000 in the engine, including a flywheel, clutch kit and accessories. And I plan to spend about $1000 on custom tuning and dyno time. The goal was $6000 for the motor PLUS tuning. So Jeff and Dave Williams have saved me a LOT of money through their collective wisdom.

Again, do your research, and make sure you know someone who really knows their stuff when it comes to the LS1.

Mike 8)

BigE, it was actually the other way around, the motor was swapped into a non Z06 FRC, so technically it is not a Z06, but has all the wheels, badges etc. to make it look like it. He was the fasted car there that night.

I rode with Gary- LoneStar1 before he went w/ magnacharger and my comment to him was that I could never shift that fast. I think Cyrus still has the fastest times for LS1 with t-56 in a Z. Anybody else running better now? I haven't been around lately.

After studying all the possibilities for about 4 months I decided on the following for mine. TR230/224 111 lsa, CC 918 springs and titanium retainers, yella terra rockers, CC hardened pushrods, Rollmaster double timing chain setup, LS6 intake, 30 lb. injectors, billet fuel rails, 225 lph fuel pump fed by ½†fuel line and a 3/8†return. Ported throttle body. I also purchased LS1 edit and EFI live for the monitoring and tuning.

The cam lift was in the .570 range so I shimmed up the spring’s .020 to get a little extra pressure. I know that Jason at Thunder racing has taken these springs (shimmed) and the 230 cam to 7000 many times with no problems. His new love it the Trex cam on stock heads. He has a dyno graph at the 450 RWHP mark with it, but no one else has duplicated it yet.

I went with stock heads but had an ASA racing shop put their 5-angle job on them. I did this because I am waiting for the results from the new AFR LS1 205cc heads (should be available in May). I would think my setup should make a good 400+ as is, but with the AFR’s I should be around 440 to 450. There was a car in Arizona owned by a guy that goes by VERBS over on LS1Tech.com that had a set of stage 2 TEA heads and the 230 cam and he was making 440 RWHP. He went to a bigger cam and different heads and was having a hard time breaking 425. He was very disappointed. I’m not sure if he has worked it out yet.

LS1’s can be touchy and attention to detail is very important for good results. Do a lot of research and go with a proven package.

I put LS6 heads, cam & intake, along with bigger fuel injectors, on my 99 Camaro LS1 and gained right about 100hp. All Chevy factory parts that will run for 100k miles. I bought a package deal from Pace Pontiac on an LS1.com group buy. $2200 bucks. If you have a 2001 or newer the price drops about $500 bucks. 100hp for $1700 is a pretty good deal. Lots of options with an LS1.