HybridZ

Non Z but REALLY need help...

I just bought a 90 Accord from a friend of mine. He had parked the car a few months ago and it was running fine when parked. When he tried to start it it would hardley run at all. It would not idle and he had a hard time getting it to a shop. They suggested changing the fuel filter but that didnt help. They told him that anything more they do would get into a lot more money so he decided to sell the car to me for $250. After a tune up, fuel system cleaner and a top off with 93 octane, I can get it to idle just fine but it still has problems wanting to get up and go.

when I give it gas it will start to shake and not want to acclerate. If I give it about 3/4 throttle it will pull off but very sluggishly. After I am moving it does okay but I can still feel it cutting out as I drive. Every time I stop and take off it gives me a hard time. I thought that driving it for a while would help things out but it really doesnt seem to be getting any better.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Guest 77vegasz

Not knowing your specif engine, but general fuel injection systems, I would check out the oxygen sensor, the mass air flow sensor, and the throttle position sensor.

I would check the entire engine for vacuum leaks as well.

Hope this helps,

Jon

I read the codes from the ECU. It is showing an O2 sensor. I unplugged the sensor and the car drives the same. I am wondering if...

A. The O2 sensor is not working and that is my problem?

B. The O2 sensor is not able to compensate for the problem and ecm is throwing the O2 code.

I wouldn't mind changing the thing out just to see but the dang thing cost $80!

Is the Accord a 5spd? I had an old Accord a long time ago, and it would do as you're describing. Actually happened on two different occassions. First is to check all your vacuum lines to make sure you don't have a leak anywhere. Hondas are speed density so the slightest vacuum leak makes them run poorly. The other fix was the clutch pedal sensor. It's a little harness at the back of the clutch pedal area that you simply unplug and it made my Accord stop bucking like it was starving for fuel. Hope that helps.

John 82ZXT

Well, I broke down and "installed" a new O2 sensor. I put "" around installed because I have a super secret way of installing them so that Autozone knows none the difference! :twisted: I guess it doesnt matter anyway, it has a 90 day policy.

Well, when I first put it in and pulled out I felt like it was doing better (still not right but better). I drove it for about 10 min and then the light came on. As soon as the light came on it started driving like more poorly again. I stopped, turned the engine off and restarted. The engine light was off and will stay off as long as I'm easy on it. I can pull out really slow and it will run kind of okay... As soon as I try to give it a little hell the light will come on and it will run even worse again.

I have used starter fluid to try and find vac leaks but have yet to find anything. I am kind of running out of options here?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Oh by the way, its an automatic.

Okay, I think I am narrowing it down... I disconnected the fuel pressure regulator and it did a lot better. This leads me to think that it might be an injector problem. The thing has been sitting for several months. I guess Ill call tomorrow and see about pricing for cleaning injectors?

is there any exaust out of the tail pipe t??? if iit is very slight pressure put a vaccum guage on the intake and let it idle it should read 15 to 19"of vaccum at idle, it you rev it it should go down and return to 15 to19" of vaccum almost immediately if it stays down at 5 or 10"of vaccum then your exaust is plugged or the converter is clogged, leave the oxygensensor out of the exaust and let it hang connected, and test drive it will be loud but your pep and power should be back it the exaust is clogged or the converter is melted, the oxygen sensor port lest out the restricted exaust

Well, I took the lil Honda home this weekend to my fathers shop in Knoxville. Thats a 4 hour drive in a car that I really didn't trust for a 4 min drive! No one ever accused me of being safe :roll: Anyway, after getting it there I decided to look to see what my dad had in his parts shed and what to my wondering eyes did appear but a 2.2 Honda engine just like the one in my car. I switched the whole fuel rail and all is well with the Honda. Well... Almost. I still have a SURGING problem. When the car is first started the car surges between 500 and 2000 RPM. It does this until it warms up.

Anyway, After fixing the engine problems so quickly my brother and I decided that it was time to fix the body. It was pretty straight but the clear was just about gone on the whole top of the car. $300 and about 60 man hours later and I now have a new paint job! In all I have under $700 in the car.

Guest bastaad525

my wifes prelude does that sometimes. When it's warming up the idle will fluctuate up and down quite a bit. that thing has way too many hoses and crap for me to even bother with it :-P

Hmm... my buddys Geo Storm did that... turns out the throttle body gasket was shot, causing a huge leak... And I guess the rest of the engine control system trys to adjust, but cant. Anyway, maybe that is your surging issue? EI: Once it warms up, evrything expands a bit and seals good... but when cold, there may be a slight air leak.. ?? Figured Id say it anyway.. :?