HybridZ

I/C install questions

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

ragz - ROFL man I was lookin at that pic and like... "yeah that looks good... why didn't it look that good to me?? Oh HEY somethings missing there!!!" :D:D:D You're pipe has also got a lot of curve in it... I can't really afford to do all that in mandrel, just looking a pipe straight across. Yeah I'm still running the stock dizzy so that's no good for me. I'm already running a spacer on my mech. fan and it's placed pretty close to the radiator. I probably could get a smaller pipe thru there by just removing the shroud. About reclocking the turbo... if fabricating a new WG bracket is necessary than that's out for me. Unless I can find a place to make what I want w/o spending more large sums of $$$$.

I'm hoping I can get this thing installed w/o spending too much money. I'm looking at getting some of the premade mandrel U-bends from Summit or whatever and some straight sections and hopefully get in in with as few cuts and welds as possible.

distributor

bastaad525 -- A note on the i/c pipes, you should be able to do it relativly cheap i did mine like your hoping to do with mandrel exhaust tubing. I have a total of 3 welds in my plumbing. Its just a pain to get it all to aligned just right. Someday i hope to go to a set of nice aluminum pipes, but that will have to wait till college or somthing when i can get some time on a tig.

I made my wastegate mount with a piece of sheet metal from home depot. Total cost about 5 bucks. I mocked it up with a piece of aluminum flashing which was easy to bend and cut with sissors. Then i took to it with the steel.

i put a lil snibit about it on the bottom of my turbo install page

http://www.geocities.com/datsun260zt/t3t4

Guest bastaad525

240hoke - cool thanks for that link. Well then so not so hard to make a bracket, still something I'd have to pay someone else to do, but at least it doesnt look like it'd be too pricey :-P

I still think that may be the best and easiest option, for ease of install and keeping the pipes short. I can see how I could do it with 4 bends, which is just two of those prebent Ubends from summit, works fine for me.

yeah forget aluminum I dont care I just want the thing in there. I'd use PCV piping if everyone here hadn't talked me out of it (more than once!!)

• 1 month later...

I just finished mock up on my spearco. I didnt cut any metal off the Z and I have an AC compressor, an AFM, turbo distributor, and a cold air intake from under the left headlight bucket...It took me HOURS upon HOURS of head scratching to make it all fit without slicing or mutilating any part of the original body. I did run the "cooled" air tube back behind the radiator but I plan on insulating that section of tube.

Oh by the way the rad. overflow bottle and vacuum can are under the I/C just behind the spoiler.

76Z-IC-1.jpg

76Z-IC-2.jpg

Guest bastaad525

JEEZ that's nice.....

I wish I wish I wish.....

Thanks for the pics :) need to wipe up some drool brb .....

okay... yeah that fits perfectly... I will probably go with both inlet and outlets going thru the rad support on the driver side... I could do it this way but would have to remove my fan shroud... no fan shroud + I/C blocking airflow to me seems like too much possibility of overheating in traffic. Otherwise I really would rather do it this way, looks much nicer.

By the way cygnus are you using one of those universal pipe sets that are floating around on ebay right now? There are a lot of different ones... the prices are very nice on them. Did you have to do any cutting, bending or welding or did they just fit perfectly?

Yeah the pipes and connectors came from the "ebay" kit. I actually used about 2/3 of the pipes that came in the kit. No additional bending needed but I did use a hacksaw to cut lengths. I was very worried about this part because I don't have access to a mandrel bender or welder. This kit made my day. I have to still clean the pipes and hit them with steel wool to shine them up but they worked out perfectly. I dont think that the pipe blocks air flow through the radiator very much but I haven't driven it yet.

here is the kit pic from ebay:

intrcoolerPipeKit_large.jpg

Guest bastaad525

yeah I've seen that one... one of the nicer looking ones for sure. So you only bought one kit and used 2/3 of it? in the pic I only see one of the large black 90* hoses, but in your pic I see you're running two, where did you get the second one? How much did you pay for the kit?

Problem for me is my Z is already having problems running a little too warm at freeway speeds... odd it can sit in traffic on a hot day ALL day and be fine, hit the freeway at a nice steady not-too-fast cruise and temp climbs up 20-30 degrees... get on boost a bit and then I get to REALLY worry.

With all the info I've been given on the forum I've boiled it down to either a) air is not flowing thru the radiator at speed due to Z's poor aerodynamics and I need a belly pan or something like that, B) the lower radiator hose may be collapsing, killing coolant flow (it's a brand new hose, however it does NOT have wound wire in it, which everyone suggests to use... but WHERE do I get a hose that will work that DOES have the wire in it?), or c) my very restrictive exhaust is causing cylinder temps to rise when held at a constant rpm when cruising... installing the I/C would help nicely with that I think... but if that's not the problem, I think the lessened airflow over the radiator might be enough to cause me real problems.

well... I'll find out soon enough... my I/C been sitting gathering dust for months now, and I'm itching bad to get it installed... probably the next thing I'll do after replacing my crank bearings.

The second black elbow came from a truck supply place. airflowonline.com I think it was. Although the guy from ebay will do anything you want you can add stuff to his kits. I think the kit was around $250 or so which is cheaper than trying to peice it together most other ways without a bender and welder. In my 14 years with my Z I only had one time where it ran hot. The problem was air-lock in the cooling system after flushing the system. It got real hot on the highway but ran OK at low speeds. I was baffled for a while. I finally figured it was and air pocket and parked the Z with its nose up a steep hill and with it running, I slowly poured water into the radiator to allow the air to come up to the radiator cap and out. It worked.

cygnusx1 - Wow that looks fantastic. Nice and clean!

Here are some not so clear pics of mine:

29827847.jpg

29827840.jpg

29827834.jpg

29827827.jpg

Here is Afshin's set-up:

54101113.jpg

When I went to MSA in 2002 I photographed every intercooled L28 and could post pics of each install but I do not want to put the pics up without permission? I know this is kind of a touch issue with certain owners.

Regards - Yasin

Guest bastaad525

cygnus - yeah I've tried jacking up the front of the car and running it while topping off the radiator to get rid of air bubbles... while I've seen some bubbles come out of there on a couple occasions it never seemed to help the temp issue. And I have verified the accuracy (or rather the inaccuracy) of my Z's temp gauge using a meat thermometer. I've tried just about everything under the sun other than installing a belly pan.

slownrusty - similiar to how I"m thinking of doing mine... I may end up running the outlet pipe from the turbo under the radiator support so I can just leave the AFM and the stock boot in place.

cygnusx1,

Is that kit specific to the Zcar? $250 sounds like a good price. Are you saying that with a little hacking the kit just hooks up? Is there any advantage of piecing a mandrel bent kit together opposed to using this one? Who is the retailer of this kit on Ebay? I'm probably going to start intercooling in a few weeks and this kit looks pretty good. Thanks BTW, slow n rusty, do you think the owners of those cars would mind you emailing me those pics? That would be much appreciated. Thanks

Guest bastaad525

violacleff - that's a universal kit, just do a search on ebay... intercooler kit and you'll see lots of different ones. I'd have one of these in hand already except it still leaves me one big problem, the I/C itself needs to be modded to work... it's a Buick Grand National intercooler and the inlet and outlet are kind of weird. LORD I want this thing in my car already....

Top End performance quoting me about $400 for custom install... thinking I may do that, I've seen some of their work and it's not too shabby.