HybridZ

LS1 carburated

Guest emo236

Guest emo236

Has anyone used the new Edelbrock intake for the LS1? It allows you to use Carburation on an LS1 instead of fuel injection. Any reviews on this?

But if you're starting from an LS1 block, it really simplifies things. Wiring isn't my strong point, and this would REALLY simply things.
Save yourself some money and get an older small block. Carbs are for drag racers (WOT) or people who want the easy way out. The strong piont of the LS1 is the OBDII control, timing and fuel. Once you take that away on a street driven car you take yourself back 25 years in time. Send the stock harness to LT1350.com and Dana will do the harness work for $300, including VATS delete, installing relays, and other things. He has done 3 for me and all have started the first time. This $300 you spend will save you that much in fuel in the first year. the harness is extremely easy to hook up, and includes instructions.

Guest emo236

My intentions for this car are to use it as a DD and maybe once a month, take it to the track(drag). How much is a carb going to affect gas mileage? Is it going to be drastic? It would definitely be an easy way out and would be alot cheaper to work with when coming to mods. I also really like turbomiester's TT setup!

Doesn't the LS1 also have a computer ignition? How are you going to back fit a distributor? Guess you could install some type of crank trigger unit, but then you are back to wiring and fabricating some type of bracket for the trigger unit. Doubt you will find many aftermarket intakes and ignition units for an LS1.

How is that the easy way out?

Guest emo236

You all bring up good points. I'm new to this whole V8 american engine scene, so I'm still learning and getting plans sorted out in my head. I've noticed some SBC and ZZ4 blocks around for pretty cheap, and that's becoming an option as well. Thanks for all your info, it helps on making decisions.

My intentions for this car are to use it as a DD and maybe once a month, take it to the track(drag). How much is a carb going to affect gas mileage? Is it going to be drastic? It would definitely be an easy way out and would be alot cheaper to work with when coming to mods. I also really like turbomiester's TT setup!

If you are building a daily driver what would be better than a modern day, powerful, computer contrilled drivetrain?

I like you am doing a V8 swap and my original plan was for a carburated crate motor. I am not too good with the wiring either but after reading up on the LS1 and the benefits of fuel injection and the computer controls decided to go for it. If you get the harness modified it really won't be too hard. There will be like 6-10 wires you will need to hook up to your current wiring. You can buy a painless harness for $700 or Speartech and others sell them too.

LS1 is the way to go!

Let me make a few observations.

The LS1 has coil on plug ignition so it has no distributor nor any provision for one - that means you have to keep the ECU to fire the plugs. If you have to do that then you might as well keep the fuel injection. If you aren't keeping the electronic part of an LS1 then you are losing most of it's benefit. A standard, carburated SBC with aluminum heads and a bit of a cam can make as much HP and only be a bit heavier. It will get around 17 mpg vs the 21 mpg of the LS1. With a good overdrive and the right differential ratio it will probably do even better.

From a day to day reliability standpoint you can't beat a fuel injected vehicle. I've driven both over the past 40 years and I'll take FI every time. THe other really sweet thing about the LS1 is the OBD II port. If it starts to not run right you take it to th elocal auto parts place with a reader, they read the error code(s), determine the malfunctioning part and you change that part out. It is generally just that simple - short of a swallowed valve, blown head gasket or some other catastrophic event.

I love my LS1. :oops:

To expound further on the benefits of FI: the purpose for FI is to maintain a perfect balance to the air-fuel ratio and to do so at any rpm.

This is why a FI engine will get better mileage. Another added benefit to the perfect air-fuel ratio is your oil doesnt get sludged up as quick as a carb'd engine: this also means your cylinder's last longer...short of oil starvation due to high rpm drag runs :roll: In the old carb days you were lucky if your engine's life expectancy made it to 100k; now days it is rather normal to see an engine go the 200k...providing its owner kept the maintenance up.

Once you read up on FI you will see that the LS1 w/an adapted harness & ECM is the way to go for your Hybrid. I've done a lot of reading in the past few years on carb'd -vs- FI and have made my mind up if and when I make a swap it will be the LS1 in its FI format.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest emo236

Alright, well you guys convinced me that LS1 is better. Any places you nkow of to get inexpensive LS1 motors and T56's? Other than ebay. Even if it's got some mileage on it, that's cool. THanks for all the info!

Guest ylwtrbo280z

"This is why a FI engine will get better mileage. Another added benefit to the perfect air-fuel ratio is your oil doesnt get sludged up as quick as a carb'd engine: this also means your cylinder's last longer...short of oil starvation due to high rpm drag runs :roll: In the old carb days you were lucky if your engine's life expectancy made it to 100k; now days it is rather normal to see an engine go the 200k...providing its owner kept the maintenance up.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)"

There are plenty carb'd engines that make it well over 175,000 miles. I currently have a 350 in my chevy truck, it hauls cars and trucks all the time on my car hauler and is passing over 130,000 right now. I agree that carbs make for better mileage but i disagree that it has a lot to do with engine life. Carbs maintain a pretty good fuel ratio if tuned properly, but are definitely crude compared to FI.

I have read the comments about carbs sludging up the oil before also. The articles I have read claim it is primarily during warm up that the over rich fuel condition causes unburned gas to blow by the cold rings. So over 100K miles is common, but a lot of it has to do with how you drive. Long trips, warm climate (Lambeu Field, baby!) proper maintenance and there won't be as much fuel contamination.

Just makes sense. On the average FI cars will live longer.