HybridZ

Having wood and making stains

auxilary

you know, catchy title!

a few weeks ago I picked up an original russian mosin-nagant m44 carbine, arsenal reconditioned. The stock was relatively beat up, so I opted to fix it up a bit.

pics in order:

-rifle as it was dinged up

mosin2.jpg

-finish stripped from stock

mosin3.jpg

-sanded with 100, 150, 220, 320, 400 sandpaper

mosin5.jpg

-now stained in dark walnut to give it that old school withered look of old wood.

mosin5.jpg

mosin6.jpg

after it dries, i'm going to coat it with urethane. I have a can of satin clear coating. Should I use that for lo to no gloss, or use semi-gloss, or glossy finish?

I've used True Oil by Casey that works very well. I've also used linseed oil on military rifles, comes out great, but you have to be careful because it heats as it dries and can set rags on fire from spontaneous combustion, so put the rags in a can OUTSIDE when done.

- Joe

Guest Siddhartha

Linseed oil!! Friend's use that on their guitar (fretboard, neck) and they look fabulous afterwords. Like he said tho, be careful!!

Guest BigWhyteDude

hey is your Enfeild a MK2 or MK3? I have always wanted an enfield. Great rifles. Same with the Nagants though they kick a bit harder.

Andrew

It's No. 4 Mk 1. I was trying to replicate the original No. 4 Mk T sniper rifle that the British used in WWII. It kinda worked. Had to make my own scope mount and cheekpiece, although now they are available from different sources on ebay.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Bitchin! Looks awesome man. I've been thinking about picking one of those up in the near future, probably a 91/30 with the stoooooopid long barrel (It's like 35" :shock: ) Now the only problem is finding a place in California where you can shoot it :twisted:

Mike

Yeah, same for this thing. I called a few local ranges, and they'll let me shoot it, provided I use soft tipped ammo in an outdoor range. The M44 is the same thing as an M91/30 - just a foot shorter and with a bayonet

I did this same thing on a 1918 German 8MM Mauser Rifle that had been cut down for use as a deer rifle. I used a semigloss finish and it turned out very similar to yours, Aux!

Mike 8)

Bitchin! Looks awesome man. I've been thinking about picking one of those up in the near future' date=' probably a 91/30 with the stoooooopid long barrel (It's like 35" :shock: ) Now the only problem is finding a place in California where you can shoot it :twisted:

Mike[/quote']

One word, Mohave.

Go out past Palmdale and find an empty stretch of desert. Some of the best shooting I have done was in the California desert.

The last time I tried that was with my HK-91 (Back before they were illegal to own in CA). I guess we didn't go far enough out in the desert. About 1/2 hour after I got there the cops showed up, threatened to arrest me and a friend for not shooting on a designated range. Evidently helicopters were enroute as well, but were called off when we showed the police our military ID's. After that I don't really take chances anymore. This state is just waaaaaay to anal about firearms for my taste. There is a range just south of San Diego that lets you shoot out to 300 yards, with up to a .50 BMG rifle. The only problem is that you are supervised the whole time by a range officer, and sometimes they can be a little "Dick-ish". So pretty much the only time I go shooting now is when I go to Arizona or New Mexico

Guest BigWhyteDude

I guess im pritty lucky. I just have to walk out in my back yard to shoot. There is a pritty big dirt berm 100 yards back.

Andrew

Guest BigWhyteDude

Does any one know much about RC planes or cars? You could buy a 100 clunker car, wire it up to a remote control and send it on its marry way. Car hunting anyone???? :D

Andrew

BTW, its been done before :lol:

I have a small junkyard of old abused R/C cars in my closet :D "Who's it gonna be?......Eeeeeny, Meeeeeeny, Miiiiiiny..........You!" (RC-10T2 cowers in corner of cardboard box) I've actually given serious thought to this over the past few years, maybe make some kind of armored shell to prolong the cars life a little, put little rabbit ears on it maybe. You really need a semi auto rifle to fully enjoy something like that though, and unfortunately we are not supposed to own them out here. My brother and I once made a dummy out of an old pair of coveralls, a watermelon for the head, and lots of fruit and a large bag of spaghetti for "inards". That made for some fantastic gore shots with a bolt action 300 Win Mag :twisted:

Mike