HybridZ

Which trans do I use??????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I really don't want to spend a fortune but I would like to have a manual trans when I start this project. What, where and how to find a decent one? New or rebuilt?

How much more work should I expect than an auto trans?

T5 seems to be the most common. I am not exactly sure how much they go for but Im sure you could find one at the local pin 'n pull. I would think less than $500 but then you have the clutch to worry about. A TH350 auto tranny can get pretty cheap but its in the same ball park as the T5 price wise.

You can pick up TH350s for around $125 all day long! Only thing is you would really miss the overdrive. Here is how the tansmissions play out from strongest to weakest.

Manual:

T56 (Six speed, bullet proof, expensive)

WCT-5 (Stronger than a regular T-5 good to around 350 hp)

T-5 (Good to around 300 Hp)

Auto overdrive:

700R4 (Easy to find, kind of big and heavy)

200R4 (Getting old, more expensive to make as strong as 700R4)

Guest Anonymous

i'm not sure if you have one anywhere close to where you are but "u-pull-it auto parts.willhave either trans you want an i have got both kinds for $100 or alittle over.the flywheel for the stick isn't but about 20 bucks there too.that way you could get you whole set up out of the car with the trans pretty cheap.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for your replies.... I just picked up the JTR manual and getting ready to take this on.(can't wait!) How much more work should I expect with the manual and is it worth it?

Originally posted by pomnvpr:

...I just picked up the JTR manual...How much more work should I expect with the manual and is it worth it?

Umm, not sure what you are asking here. The manual will actually make less work for you, not more.

The manual is good for planning and discussing the various steps. Also, it is fairly technical and helps you get into the swap with confidence.

Davy

The TH700 auto trans has a MUCH bigger case than the manual trans (especially the T5) and requires removal of Datsun trans mounts. The TH350 is somewhst larger, but should fit without mods. The extra work comes with the clutch linkage not really any additional mods to the car.

Guest Anonymous

Its a 1980 280 zx.... I know that the car is a little bigger than the 240 but I don't know about the tunnel ....

I'm still undecided on scrapping the idea due to the smog constraints of the communist state of California. I'm considering buying a pre 73 to avoid the issue but its all about the $$$$$$$ if you know what I mean...

That's what I did: I bought a '73 240Z to skirt smog checks since it was something I really didn't want to deal with. Otherwise, an LT1/T56 swap would have been great in a 280Z or 280ZX. EFI is really the way to go IMO, but this is my first real swap and I want to keep to the K.I.S.S. theory as much as possible.

Just buy an LT1 & tranny of choice from GM Sport Salvage in San Jose. Thay way, you can keep your current car and do the swap on that.

Davy

Aerodynamically you are way ahead on the 280 ZX bodystyle.

Weight-wise you'll be about the same.

Weight distribution will not be as good because there is no setback on the engine. This can be alleviated somewhat by going w/the LS1 (if you can mount it) and putting the battery in back.

Ask Ross C what he thinks of his.

I have an '83 ZXT and I'm building a '75 280 Hybrid. I like this body style better.

Whatever floats your boat is the best choice for you!

Guest Anonymous

Do you know anyone out there that has done the swap on a 1980 or newer and if so what did they use? (motor - trans) hail.gif

Is the 1980 body style (size) an advantage or disadvantage?