HybridZ

still no boost !?

evildky

the wasteagte looks fine, I had the down pipe off, used a little mirror to peak in and see the disk it looks fine the arm swings and closes just fine, covers the hole like it's supposed to, as for vac leak, I used a can and a half of carb/choke cleaner spraying everything with mass amounts, no leaks found

OK, so now I am gonna tell you all the solution and show just how stupid I am, the problem got worse happeneing at lower rev's with more vacume, it got so bad it was not allowing me to free rev it was shoving up with no load, once it got this bad I was able to see that when it bogs, my fuel pressure drops to nothing then kicks back up

the fuel pump I guess was sorta maxing out and shutting down when the reg saw a loss of vacume causing the fuel pressure to rise, I guess it over loaded the pump and it shut down, I replaced the pump with a new aftermarket unit I had planned to install before al the drama, problem solved, thanks for all the help guy's

although I now fel like an idiot :evil:

Guest bastaad525

so a new pump and it's working fine now? Don't feel stupid bro if that was it... dont think any of us thought of that one either. That's kinda odd though for a fuel pump to fail in that way, usually they either work or they dont.

Cool for you if you found it though I know how hairraising it can be trying to track down problems like this!!!

thanks again for all the help, I feel about half past stupid, it's the first I'v seem one go like this as well, bad thing is when the problem started accouring it was only at zero manifold pressure, I had no way of tracking it till it got so bad it would do it while free reving in neutral and I could actually see the guage, I am thinking of adding an in cab fuel pressure guage to help diagnose any future problems quicker, although another fuel pressure problem is not too likely with a new pump, got the big fat msd pump

An idiot would've gave up. Glad to hear you found out your problem! Thanks for replying what it was. Just ran through a lean/ping problem on my cousins 280ZT we just built that also has the MSD-2225... turned out to be a partially clogged fuel filter. It wouldn't allow more than about 42psi to the fuel rail. Go figure, earlier today, i won a bid on ebay on an Autometer electric fuel pressure gauge like you mentioned :D

004463_s.jpg

Guest bastaad525

I HATE the stock-style fuel filters for these things!!! I miss my SU's with their nice see-thru plastic filter... never any doubt when that thing was getting dirty.

Does no one make a see thru EFI filter that will work on the Z? Or even better a see-thru reusable one??

I can totally see it being an electrical problem' date=' I can be in second gear, slowly accelerating get up to around zero and it's just a nothing, I'l be at around 2500rpm and it's just dead silence, the tach holds position, there is no exhaust noise for that moment no anything, no engine braking that you'd expect with a dead car just nothing, it's as if someone hit the pause button.[/quote']

Sounds like TPS adjustment to me - idle contacts closed (or wiring issue that replicates this).

Just try going for a quick drive with the TPS unplugged - there is no full-throttle contact on the ECCS system, so don't be concerned that you'll damage anything.

Guest bastaad525

actually... I once tried an experiment, where I put a jumper wire in the end of the TPS connector to make it be always 'closed' and believe it or not the car ran MUCH better!!!! However, it would start to detonate above 4000rpm at WOT. I guess this is due to the fact that the TPS being closed causes the car to run on it's leaner, idle fuel curve. But otherwise the car ran fine and very strong.