HybridZ

supercharger update

280zedx

I guess i put it all back together right! I fired it up stock (no supercharger) and ensured everything worked, all the new belts and fabrications lined up great. The supercharger was belted up but had no piping yet. Blows like a champ! Just mounted the new 10 inch fans and the thermo and they worked like a charm. 1 leaky injector but that's ok as i have to pull the whole rail it off now anyways to put in the turbo injectors. I should have put them in to start but i chickened out and decided to "break in" the motor first. Now after running it up to temp a half dozen times it's time to ditch the afm and do my megasquirt homework. Bernardd was kind enough to donate the required throttle position sensor and I'll hopefully have the harness spliced in in the next couple weeks. I'm cutting up the intercooling pipe this weekend. That has definately been an eye opener, both aquiring and the price of steel and alluminium mandrel bends and pipes!

Bernardd and myself have also gone splits on a LM-1 from Innovative Tech that should give us the required wideband readings to fully tune. We'll hopefully be testing it on his turbo this upcoming week.

As far as the MS&S goes, Tony D, do you or anyone else have the non turbo reluctant pickup type up and running? The plans that Mobythevan proposes (awesome sticky -thanks) seem straightforward but i would appreciate any assistance with this part.

ok, it worked (posting a picture) sort of...the picture is a bit big. I'm assuming that his has to do with high resolution.

anyways-

here's another couple pics. I finished mocking up the intercooling pipe and mounted the adjustable thermostat for the new fans. gotta put the fuel rail back on with the new turbo injectors, rebolt the supercharger back down and it'll be ready for some MS&S management.

P0001391.jpg

P0001392.jpg

Guest znow white

thats nuts nice fab work! :-D I like the setup dont see too much supercharged inline 6s especial the l series! can you tell us about the bottom end work has it been bored, head...?

• 4 months later...

Not to sound like a pesimist but, those have considerable pressure drop on them. I tried one and lost several psi. Sorry I don't remember the exact amount.

Also not that it can't be used but, I just wanted to let you know incase you don't get the desired result from the combo. This would be one place to look for some free power. :-D

No dought the workman ship is looking very good.

My understanding it that both Sims 76 and Xander used the non-turbo Dizzy for the trigger.

Matter of fact, Sims has just turboe'd his, and give seome details on using the signal straight from the reluctor in the stock ZX Dizzy.

It's on this page or fairly recently.

I used the 81 Turbo CAS for mine, and most others with turbos used the 82/83 CAS unit for triggering. I had no trigger problems with mine, it was all laptop related. I just have had ZERO time to revisit it in the past three months.

Matter of fact, I am replying to this sitting in an office building in Taipei Taiwan right now...

Looks good thusfar, though! Great Work.

• 1 month later...

hi guys, sorry, i'm not good at keeping up on the forum here...

Tony, i put the MS&S on hold and am presently running MS with great results with a 47k resistor in line from the coil with the stock '83 NA distributor. I will probably end up trying to pull the signal directly from the reluctor pickup (ala Sims76) when i upgrade to MSII (which has the spark control)

Cody, you're probably right about my intercooler, my calculations show 8.7lbs but i'm getting around 6lbs...bit of a dissapointment.

Sho-Z, the crank pulley came off some minivan at the junker, and i centered, drilled and bolted it directly to my stock crank pulley (covering the outer one)

The car is running great, i haven't tweaked it enough yet tho and the accel/dec enrichments probably require more tuning. The other weekend was my first time at the track and i had some low 15s and a 14.917 @ 73.6mph and my 60 was 2.202. My wideband readings are safely in the 11s (for now), i'm pretty new to this and i really need rubber but it sounds respectable for 6lbs boost.(?)

I can't help wonder what a M90 supercharger would feel like....

Winter is upon us here in Canada, the licence plates expire next week and the long hibernation begins.....damn, i just got it on the road!

• 3 weeks later...

I can help all you guys looking to get a pulley...

I've had a CNC shop make a pulley that fits the 82-83 damper...

The shop is small and I "think" I could have a few more made for around $175 each...

If we ordered a larger quantity the price would obviously go down.

The pulley is 6.75 inches and other sizes could be done to fit your needs.

Check it out at the following link or email me at ken280z@hotmail.com for details...

Click here to see the pulley

I think you'll like it!

Ken

That kind of pulley would be ideal because it would be very easy to changes sizes to spin the SC faster. For me to change mine now i would have to remove the crank pulley assembly in order to perfectly center a new bigger 6rib pulley.

The only drawback - the cost!

mine was 5 bucks!

Hey guys...

For what you'd spend to get that pulley adapted to your damper I kinda like my solution better...

What I did was calculate the "range" of RPMS that I wanted to spin my blower and then found the optimum size crank pulley that would put me in that range. I have several pulley sizes that I can put on my blower to change boost. Why would you want to change the crank pulley when you can more easily change the blower pulley?

If you do a search you can find that there are MANY companies that make aftermarket pulleys for almost any blower made... buy a few of those and change your boost that way...

Hey 280zedx,

How the heck are you going to be able to change your spark plugs? Just curious...

I love what you've done! We'll have to compare notes soon... I just started mine up yesterday...

The MP62 blower has an intoxicating whine to it that I just LOVE!

Ken

changing the plugs was the design "flaw" i had to compromise with. I did design it so the SC comes off very easily, studs welded into the support frame, and the "intake plenum" sits into this frame under the SC. It takes about 15 minutes only to have the assembly removed and access to the plugs, not ideal but still usable.

As far as the sound...you're right, INTOXICATING!

-do you have any pics of your project? how far along are you?

I'm presently looking for a 2" pulley and they seem impossible to find. Most SC (mostly M90) have the larger pulleys with lots of options but the stock 2.55" pulley for the M62 (series 1) doesn't have many options it seems.

Pulleyboys used to sell 2" pulleys on demand but are presently down.

Any ideas where else?

Guest 240zJake
It takes about 15 minutes only to have the assembly removed and access to the plugs, not ideal but still usable.

Thats not bad considering that on the new car my mom bought,an Acura MDX, the spark plugs seem impossible to reach without crawling inside the engine compartment. I dread the day the factory free service period expires and I have to change them, even though it will be fun to figure out how to contort my wrench to get to them :D