HybridZ

If I were to trade in my Z.....

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

ROFL... yeah well... it started this WAY before I ever painted it.

If cars really have personalities and this one is pissed off at me... it HAD to be when I put the turbo motor in it...

Why don't you store it away for a while and buy yourself a small econobox. That's what I did. And when the times get better you can start with renewed (sp?) spirit. A bonus about this is that when you get back to your datsun you will love it to bits because the econobox is so bad.

Having some money left over at the end of the month is a great stress relieve too.

I hope it all turns out well in the end' date='

Xander[/quote']

He has a really good point. Buy yourself a $300 spectrum and wait a month or two. You will be loving your Z. With the money you save you could create a nice Hybrid!!! Good luch either way.

The late 80's style Supra's are pretty cheap, and pretty reliable if you don't mess with the turbo setup. Better yet, get the NA version. The engine and drivetrain in those cars is as close to bomb proof as you can get, and the suspension is pretty stout as well. Personally I'd still stick with the Z though :D

Mike

Guest bastaad525

Dont get me wrong guys I'm not on the brink of getting rid of it as I have been in the past... really I would definately much rather keep it if I can. But just wanted to get some ideas of options if this thing does get the best of me. If I can work this loose-crank issue out w/o spending a fortune, of course I'm going to keep it. I mean I've fixed so much already... until I found out about the crank the only things I had left really to do on this car as far as I was concerned were to get an adjustable FPR, get my I/C installed, replace all my bushings, and put a new gasket on the differential, flush the radiator, put a new thermostat, and replace my brake master cylinder (which has suddenly started working fine again???)and that was it. Of course I have a list of 100 other things I want to do, but these were the only ones I considered really essential. It really is close to being 'done' though.

Well I may still get a beater even after the point Tim240z made. I am still waiting for a half decent car to clear at my job (I work at a towing/impound place... anything that doesn't get picked up goes up for auction... sometimes some really nice cars come up... NOTHING lately though) so I can get a decent throwaway beater for like $300-500. If it breaks, I'll sell it to someone else and maybe even make a little profit (the cars auction for way less than going value).

Without seeming overly preachy, old cars require work. No way around that. And any car that you could get licensed will cost way more than $500. And of course, there is what you want and what you can afford.

The best of both worlds is to have a daily driver and something else to play with. I bought a Toyota Tacoma 6 years ago, and with exception of all the accidents I have done nothing but routine maintenace to it. Smog has never been an issue. Most new cars are that way now. You can get the base models pretty cheap. It is only when you start adding a bunch of stuff that the price spirals.

But I hear you. Can't afford a new car and an old one at the same time. My advice is to not try and experiment too much with your daily driver, and the only way to get a really cheap car is to get one that not many people want. Start adding restrictions like reasonably fast, good handling, nice looking and the price goes up. But if you hunt the obituaries and buy a used Crown Vic off some old guy's widow, then you can get reliable transportation very cheaply.

May not be what you want to hear, but reality often isn't.

You want an option? How about this:

Trade your V8 Z for a stock one.

I know, it seems like you're tossing your money down a toilet, but think about it this way: You're selling a car for,oh, let's say $4,000. For that, you can buy a refreshed Z with roundtop SU's that's dead nuts reliable, fun to drive, and moderately economical. You won't be breaking parts the way you have lately, and you already know how to work on them. The best part is, if you ever get a stiffie to do a hybrid again, you've got a good starting point waiting in the garage for you.

Am I a genius, or what?

I think a stock 1986 Mustang LX 5.0 would be a good ride. Sure, it's nearly 20 years old, and the rubber bits will all be toast, and the interior is likely to be trashed, and the rings will be on their last legs.... wait a minute, we're back where we started, aren't we?

Can I talk you into a nice, late '80's BMW 325is? SOLID engineering without a lot of bells and whistles to break, and they wear like iron. It's not uncommon to see them in showroom perfect condition. Easy to fix, too!

Don't like emissions? What about a 1970 Boss Mustang? Goes like stink, looks like Satan's Squad Car, and easy to work on. 12mpg? Well, that is a problem, isn't it?

OOh! I've got it! Get a 1972 Datsun 510! COOL CAR! Easy to work on, thrifty, fun to drive, and you can even make it cool looking, if you admire the retro look. A BMW 2002 does the same thing (but a little better) for about the same money. Repair parts are going to be fractionally more expensive (not as expensive as you might think, though) but would be more available because BMW Mobile Tradition tries to ensure that all rebuild parts will be available for classic models.

I'd steer clear of Supras, for the most part. They're not the easiest cars to fix or keep running, especially the MkIII varients. I'm helping a friend get his back on the road, and EVERYTHING is electronically controlled. It's a real pain in the butt when trying to trace a problem.

Good luck -

Guest bastaad525

!!! should I be offended?!?! :D Heheh... I wouldn't consider a turboed 240 to be even relatively stock.....

There's some confusion here I think, between the two possibilities I'm explaining here. It's like this. If I were going to sell my Z or trade it for something else, then I'd want a car that met at least most of the requirements I listed. If I get rid of this Z after so much has been done to it, and it is a quick car, and a good handling car... I just wouldn't want to trade down for a piece of junk. $5000 can buy a lot of car, these days. Most cars older than the mid '90's can be had for that much. And I just dont think I'd have to settle and get some crappy slomobile. Hell my wifes Geo cost us $2500, it's a '94, and is LOADED, and actually is pretty fun to drive (in a different way than the Z) man I LOVE that car.

But if I were just going to get a beater, a daily driver, whatever... something to drive to work every day, but still keep my Z, then of course all those requirements go out the window. I'm not expecting to get anything fast, good handling, or problem free for $500-1000.

I know old cars need work just par for the course of being old... that's why I finally made the decision I should have made years ago, to NOT keep driving the Z to work every day. It was so much less of a big deal when I worked a scant 6 miles away from home.... Now I work more like 25mi away. However, I've only put just a tick over 10,000 miles total on the Z in the last two years. That's not a lot of driving, and nowhere near proportionate to the amount of repairs I've had to do! But it's a moot issue now... the car will only be my 'weekend toy' or whatever, and hopefully the time between repairs will be greatly extended.

Reality doesn't bother me :) This is why I come here and ask questions like this, actually. You guys have many times saved me from bad decisions, or helped me make good ones, with sometimes much needed doses of reality or better perspective. I dont think I've ever been angered, upset or offended once since I've been posting here... you guys do your best to tell me like it is, and that rocks :)

I don't want another stock Z... while I wouldn't mind having a SECOND Z as a daily driver, and keep that one stock... I would never start again from square one. It's taken me a long time to get this Z where I wanted it (minus the problems) and to 'correct' the things I wasn't thrilled about (speed, handling, condition of the car)... and of course I wouldn't be happy with just a stock one. If I would have been I'd never have modified this one. The Mustang 5.0 was just a passing thought... I would only be drawn to one for the reputed ease and low cost of making them very fast cars... the speed addict in me can't help but be interested. But I wouldn't want one of those for a daily driver either. I wouldn't mind having a 325... but I thought they were problematic and expensive to fix? I've always liked beemers old and new. I used to daydream about fixing up a Mach 1 or Boss Mustang... I could care less about gas mileage... you dont drive a fast car for gas mileage :) I've actually been considering getting an old muscle/pony car if I sold the Z.

And lastly, I would LOVE to have either a 510 or BMW 2002... but good luck finding them around here... most people are smart enough not to get rid of them!

And Pop'n'Wood.. why do you say any car I'd get licensed would cost way more than $500??? You'd be surprised how many good cars get sold at my job for less than $500. A few months ago there was a '94 Eclipse GS, the non turbo one. 120000 miles on the clock. Fully loaded. Minor body damage on the hood, and it had no keys. Car went for $550. I WOULD have bought that one but I never saw it until it was too late, sold and awaiting pickup. This is my best hope at present, that a good car will come up at work for me to snatch at a cheap price. Of course now that I'm actually looking full time, there has been nothing :(.

You'd be surprised how inexpensive mainainence items are for an older BMW. I just rebuilt my entire front end in a weekend using common hand tools, and the total cost of parts for upper and lower control arms, bushings, tie rods, strut mounts, and the steering center link was about $320.

There are support groups similar to HybridZ for fixing whatever problems might arise. Most of the issues are small, well documented, and easy to fix. If you're the kind of person who runs to the dealer every time you blow a fuse (and I know you're not) they can eat you alive in labor cost, but if you don't mind doing 30 minutes of work every month, they're pretty bulletproof.

Modifying the hard parts of the engine can be quite expensive, but other upgrades (struts, springs, engine chips) are equal in price to any other manufacturer. As it stands right now, with an engine chip and K&N filter, my car puts out 220 horsepower at the crank, which is good for a 7.2 second 0-60 sprint and still gets me 28mpg on the freeway. Over the past year (25,000 miles of driving) I've had to replace the muffler and catalytic converter(~150), rebuild the front end(~320), and replace two $12 temperature sensors. Call it $600 in maintainence, and you'll not be far off. I don't consider $50 a month bad for a car with 300,000 miles on it! Insurance is cheap, too.

Owning/driving my BMW has given me immense satisfaction over the years, and I hope if the time comes to consider something other than (or in addition to) the Z, you'll look into the 3 or 5 series.

Guest bastaad525

Owning/driving my BMW has given me immense satisfaction over the years' date=' and I hope if the time comes to consider something other than (or in addition to) the Z, you'll look into the 3 or 5 series.[/quote']

Now that you put it that way, I will :D Never knew they could be so reliable and low cost.

Even if you buy a beater for say $500:

Figure on about $100 in oil change and filters, hoses etc

Registration and title: ~$100

Insurance on an extra car: ~$500

Maybe other maintenance items, like tires, brakes, etc

So you're looking at another $1500 or so. You could put that into your Z and have just about everything sorted out.....

Tim

I say get a beater anyway. The initial sorting out and registration costs will be alleviated by being able to just jump in and drive without the worries, and it will allow you to jump into your z and dog it to kingdom come, and when something should happen, you always have a commuter to drive around in.

For that kind of money you could get a 125 cc shifter cart. It's doesn't have to be a Honda, you could get a Yamaha motor. It's reliable and doesn't need much maintenance. Gas mileage is awesome too. The handling is out of this world. I doubt if there is a stock or even modified vehicle that could beat it. It wouldn't do that well in a crash, though (I'm just guessing here cause the feds have never tested it). On the other hand, if you were in a head on collision with say, a MINI cooper, it wouldn't hurt for too long. :!:

Guest bastaad525

Well, still thinking on this one a lot. My train of thought has changed directions though. It has occured to me time and again that for the money I've spent on my car up to this point, over just the last two years, I could have paid off a substantial chunk on a NEW sports car... I could own half a 350z by now, for instance. Of course, I can't take back time and that money is long gone... but that makes me think... how much more money will I need to put into this car just to keep it driveable? Probably enough that considering buying a NEW car and making payments is still a viable option.

Well... in keeping with my criteria for the kind of car I would need to 'step up' to, so as not to feel 'cheated' by getting rid of the Z... there is one car in particular that seems to offer most of what I want (fast, good handling) for a way-low price point: The Dodge Neon SRT-4.

Clocking it at around $20,000, I could easily sell my Z and have a large portion of that as a down, knock my monthlies pretty low, and end up with a car that is just about as fast (with HUGE untapped potential over the stock configuration) and fun, way more reliable... something I can drive every day. My wife probably wouldn't go for it anyways, but IF I do end up selling my Z, I'm 90% sure this is what I will go for. There is simply no other car that comes close in the 'bang for the buck' department. A couple hundred dollars in mods and it'd easily be a 13 second car. Yeah so it's wrong wheel drive... I can live with that :)

EDIT: Holy crap... nevermind... just looked up the JD powers ratings for reliability on the 2003 neon... got 2 out of 5 stars for build quality and mechanical quality/reliability... no thanks! Maybe a WRX then?

Guest bastaad525
id say get a 510 trust me you wont regret it id swap my z for another one in a second

Yeah I probably would too if someone offered :) I love those cars. Well I'm still stickin with it for now... but I think it's just a matter of time before I stumble upon or someone offers me another car and the Z will probably be gone. Maybe I'll do like Yo2001 and look into a 1st gen DSM.