HybridZ

Another LS1 swap is under way!

Well I couldn't wait any longer. I kept seeing the LS1 sitting on it's pallet begging for attention. So today the swap started. My son and I took the Z for one final cruise this morning and then after it had time to cool off a bit we pulled it in the garage and got started.

We got everything ready to pull the L28 motor and trans today. We disconnected everything for removal as per the Datsun service manual and all we need is a hoist and it will be out.

We went to Sams club to buy one but they are out of stock. To bad cause the motor would be out already. Boy is it easy to pull an L series. We had it all done and ready in under 3 hours. My son is only 10 but he is turning out to be a good helper. It would have been hard to remove the hood by myself. Also, it's nice to have someone fetch the right sized tools while you are on your back under the car. I am going to see about renting a hoist this week and get it out. I want to get it packed up and shipped out so I can have more room to work.

I plan to keep a full journal about the swap and I am taking pictures of everything too. I will get some posted soon.

I am still looking for a 6 speed trans setup for the swap so if you know of one please let me know. The 4L60E is for sale or trade.

I can't wait to feel some real TORQUE!

Congrats on the start!! Are you getting just a chain hoist or a actual engine lift? I ask because I hate the fact that every time I use my lift I have to assemble and disassemble it because I can't stand how much realestate it takes up!! My buddy has a folding one that I wish I had. Folds up into a tight package and tucks into a corner. Something to think about.

It is cool to hear about your son helping. I have twin boys 3 1/2 years old but I already have them help me. I can't wait till they are a bit older and I can show them how to wrench..keep us posted.

Future%20Mechanics2.jpg

You really should consider buying a hoist - the folding kind. Chances are very good that you will be pulling your LS1 out at least once. I mean, I guess you have the kit, but still - I'll bet I pulled my LS1 in and out at least 4 times for various reasons. I got my hoist for $160. Doesn't take too many rentals to pay for that. I recommend getting a tilter too. I made one, but they can be purchased for <$50. Makes things much, much, much easier.

Yeah deffinetly get a tilter! I know Im glad I spend the $48 on mine. I dont think I could have got my engine/tranny combo in and out with out it! Of course you guys with the Z's have three extra inches to play with due to the longer engine bay! :wink::D

Guy

Congrats on the start!! Are you getting just a chain hoist or a actual engine lift? I ask because I hate the fact that every time I use my lift I have to assemble and disassemble it because I can't stand how much realestate it takes up!! My buddy has a folding one that I wish I had. Folds up into a tight package and tucks into a corner. Something to think about.

I am going to get a folding type of hoist like you describe. I figure I will need it a few times and then I can sell it when I am done.

David' date=' good luck on the swap. Let me know if I can help you. Are you going to make your engine mounts?

Mike[/quote']

Mike,

I am still undecided on the mounts. I am highly considering the JCI kit. Once I get a hoist I will drop the LS1 in the engine bay and have a look for myself to see just how little clearance I have. Once I see that, I can decide on if I will try to keep the stock exhaust manifolds and the stock A/C.

For now I plan to get the engine bay cleaned up and ready for the install. I will keep you all updated.

Yeah, there are two of us in the DFW area too. Lone Star 1 over on the east side of Dallas and me on the east side of Fort Worth in Arlington. I think the word is slowly filtering out. I also know that Zfan has his 383 powered 240Z up in the North Dallas area. A lot of folks still think the cars are turbo-charged (sport compact mentality) but they still know the cars a fast. I majorly embarrassedd a couple guys in an IS300 this weekend. He tried to keep up but I pulled him in 3rd (60 mph start) and then just vanished when I hit fourth.

Guest Lightft01

Hey guys im new on the board, I live in lewisville which is north of dallas, and i go to school in arlington. It's nice to know there are a couple of guys around here that i can bother, when i get started on my z project.

Update:

Rented a hoist ($25) and got the motor out today. Thankfully no damage to the car. The end of the trans did get hung up on the edge of the brake lines at the bottom of the firewall but I saw it was snagged before it did any damage.

Since I have the hoist I might try a test fit of the LS1 tomorrow if I can make some time.

Next step, I will start to clean up the engine bay and decide if I will paint it to match the car or just redo it in black.

More pics posted soon!

I have evaluated my swap and the time required to get it on the road and I have decided that I too will use the JCI components for my swap and I ordered them today.

I am sure I could have fabricated the mounts but it seems that the JCI stuff is a no brainer and I will have enough to keep me busy with the fuel system, wiring, exhaust, etc. I already miss having the car to drive so I want to get it back on the road sooner than later.

I ordered the front mount kit, trans mount kit, driveshaft, speedo drive unit, vital fluids kit and the A/C kit. I have a 4 core radiator already and I will wait to see if I will go with headers or maybe be able to use exhaust manifolds from another LS1 equipped vehicle. The Hummer and the GTO manifolds look like they may fit. Once the motor is in the engine bay I will measure and see how much space there is.

I have also decided to install the 4L60E auto trans that came with my motor. If I am unhappy with it, I will swap to a 6 speed later.

I have posted pics of the old motor and engine bay at the site below. I will continue to update with more pics as available.

Thanks for everyones help so far. All of your input helped me decide on the JCI kit.