HybridZ

just bought 260Z and 5 miles later it overheats!! help!!

Just like the subject line says.

I took off the thermostat housing to check it out, guess what, no thermostat. To make my day even better, one of the bolts sheared off after putting about 10 lbs of torque to it. Then, I used an easy out to get the existing bolt stub out, but that sheared off flush in the housing body. So now I'm really having a bad day. So the housing itself has to come off the head, but guess what? one of those bolts is corroded thru and breaks also. After that, I quit for the day.

How can I get the bolt out of the head without having it go flush. (I have about an inch to grip, but it's pretty rusty) Next, how do I get that stupid easy out from the OTHER sheared bolt? Anyone in the Seattle area have an extra housing?

Thanks,

Grant

It sounds like it's time to drill and re-tap the holes. It may be best to pull the head and send it off to a machine shop. Making sure the drill is dead center of the bolt can be quite a task.

You could also try heating the remaining bolt portion red hot and then placing wax against it. I've read that the wax will run down the threads and free up the bolt. I haven't tried it yet, but I trust Popular Mechanics enough to try it next time I need it. What can you loose. Heat it up, try the wax and grab it with a big pipe wrench. Worst case is you still have to send it to the machine shop.

Almost forgot, Sorry to hear your problems, I know how frustrating it can be.

- Joe

My 260 was fine untill warm weather came and the previous owner had also removed the thermostat. SO you can do what I did, take the entire car apart and start over :) JK

I am scratchin my head on that easy out, never had one of those break. They are tool steel so it SHOULD pull out if you could get some vice grips on it. Of course it shouln'dt have broken in the first place! I was going to say you could try to shatter it like you can some taps that break but I dunno if that would work. If you know a local machine shop or know a machinist, most of them have dealt with this and can help you. Just be carefull with that aluminum.

Thanks for the replies.

The tap broke off exactly flush in the removable housing, so the easy out is basically screwed until I can get a better quality bit to get it out. As far as the head goes, there's a bit to get ahold of, so I was wondering about heat cycling the bolt to relieve some stress on it.

Last but not least, any clues on the overheating issue??

Any way I can check the water pump to see if its actually working? Any ideas on the radiator? Maybe its blocked? I'd think if there was a blockage, then a hose would have blown due to the pressure buildup from the pump.

Thanks in advance...

I've had the same bolt shear on me. If you have access to a welder, tack another smaller bolt on to the sheared off bolt, then unscrew. Good luck, we all have shared your frustration at one time or another.

Try this:

Heat up the aluminum around the bolt. Grab the bolt with a vise grip and then get a can of compressed air (for cleaning keyboards etc), hold it upside down and spray (with the straw attached) the bolt with a quick burst.

That will almost always do it. The aluminum expands and teh bolt shrinks with the cold....enough to break the rust free. Just don't spray the aluminum much, as it may crack....

Tim