HybridZ

A little different....82 'vette rear on 78 280z

rytherwr

I thought the same thing about a later rear at first, but the later model turned out to be too boxy and doesn't lend itself to the contours of the rear quarters. As you can see, the fiberglass Z rear quarters can be conformed to the outside contours of the vette rear. The pictures you see with the exhaust holes in the valance show the rear as it is attached on sides, top and bottom. Never seen one before so thought I'd try it. Now that you mention it tannji, you're right. At first glance, it looks like the Maverick. When you see the whole car with the G-nose front and cowl induction hood, it brings a different perspective. Wayne

Guest iskone

I've been thinkning about doing that for several months, I liked the idea because it would elimante the need for a rear bumper.

You got to keep us updated with this :D

How much wider is the Vette' bumper than the Z rear?

Well now that I look at it closer I was thinking I would use a 75'-79' rear bumper.

That looks really good. I am looking for something to do with the rear end because with the wide body kit i have it makes it look odd, too bland or something. Does that rear end come off just like in 1 peice? It looks like a fiberglass replica. Looks like i might have to take a trip to a junkyard soon.

Hey, glad it piques some interest. Ikone, it is 1 5/8 in wider on each side than a 78 280z at its widest point. Datsunboy77, it is a reproduction piece out of an Ecklers 2004 spring/summer catalog, no. 204. They have most any vette fiberglass piece part you could want as well as a lot of other stuff too. I chose the 82 over the older models because of the built in spoiler. For the wide-body kit, a more boxy look might be a better fit such as a gen IV or V. For sure, it brings a different look to the rear and is not too difficult to manage. Go for it! :burnout:

Guest iskone

Another thought I had when I was working out plans for the "Z vette" was to move the gas filler location to the center of the bumper and use a chcrome filler door to cover it up.

I thought this would fill the empty space in the middle.

Hey that's cool! Love the way the exhaust lays out. Are you planning to "blend" the bottom of the rear piece with the quarter panel?

It looks nice and clean, if it were me, I would keep the rear the way it is and not put a gas filler there.

Nice job!

Thanks for the kudo's, folks. Long way to go yet. Considered the gas filler option and decided not to clutter up the rear. Not sure what I am going to do with the empty space yet. Maybe nothing.

Yes, going to go from the rear of the wheel opening to the apex of the outside corner of the bumper and blend in. Just came in from permanently afixing the left rear quarter and will get a full side shot tomorrow of the entire g-nose will show also. Still ugly as all get-out, but you will be able to see how the pieces fit together. Obviously got some filling to do, but not bad.

Got all the fiberglass from Canada at a place called Showcars-Bodyparts. Here is the info: http://Http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/240z.html . e-mail is Showcars@idirect.com and phone is (905) 857-6345. Now, having given the info, I must tell you that they are a bear to deal with. I had to keep on them about every week to get my stuff to me. For instance, I ordered two front fenders, G-nose and cowl induction hood around 7 Dec 03 and didn't get them until April 04! Not good :evil: Deal with those folks at your own risk. The reason I dealt with them was because I couldn't seem to find the bulged fenders I needed to give me the look I wanted for the 10.5 in wide rear tires.

Later :)

Tim,

Thanks for the kind words. I see you've had some experience with Showcars. I can't say anything good about them and thought I would give warning. :evil:

H-m-m-m-m..........if I could just find some R230 inner cv joints :o)

Wayne

Guest Drewz

Looks like it is going to blend in real sweet. Creativity and "just doin it" is what comes to mind when I saw those pics. NICE!!! :D