HybridZ

Death toll rises - Detonation kills another...

Guest bastaad525

You're kidding... Jersey is that from you're 240zt??

Or from you'r cousins ZX? What happened? Just running it on the ragged edge too long or did something fail? (I mean like fuel pump or something like that... obviously SOMETHING failed :D )

It's from my cousins '78 280ZT we just finished building about 3 weeks ago. So far he's ripped the R200 mount in half and now blew a hole through the side of the piston! lol. I think it was from the partially clogged fuel filter that made him run a bit lean on the top end of 15-16psi of boost.

It's from my cousins '78 280ZT we just finished building about 3 weeks ago. So far he's ripped the R200 mount in half and now blew a hole through the side of the piston! lol. I think it was from the partially clogged fuel filter that made him run a bit lean on the top end of 15-16psi of boost.

Ooooooo, that's scary! I'm bringing out my Z from it's winter nap this Friday - now I'm thinking I'll replace the fuel filter, just because!

Guest bastaad525

How often is a good interval for replacing the fuel filter? I replace them usually once a year or so... fuel tank was cleaned recently as well.

I still say someone needs to make a good seethru fuel filter compatible with the high pressure EFI setup.... I LOVED that with my SU's I could always see at a glance if my filter needed replacing or not.

That's what i think happened to his, 525. He had just had his tank "professionally" cleaned and lined and i think it may have flaked off a bit and partially clogged the filter. I think the only way to be safe is to have an onboard fuel pressure gauge to always monitor all components concerning fuel feed. That's why i just picked one up :) We started the rebuild tonight around 9pm and his Z was back on the road by midnight - new piston, rings, 1mm metal HG (thanks Joe - ragz - if you read this... came through big for us tonight with the HG) Seems to be running great. Just going to take it easy for a bit to let those rings settle in.

Glad to hear it's running again, Jersey. Now you and Nick have to bring it over so you guy's can help me drink all the beer you brought me! Did you find out anymore about "Ed's" car?

Joe

I'll make sure Nick orders the replacement HG on Monday. Thanks again. When it comes in, we'll hook up again and see what we can do about the beer situation ;) I hope to stop by "Ed's" house in the next few days to see what he's got hiding in his garage. 575hp '71 240? Hmmm... Sounds verrry interesting :)

Guest bastaad525

Man you guys suck....

wish I could rebuild my fuffing motor in a day!!!! Every little problem for me means parking the car for one... two... three weeks... who knows??

You guys make it sound so easy.

Well, Friday after next, I'm HOPING to get a crack at taking my motor out and seeing just what's up with the crank bearings, hopefully it will be a simple matter to replace them and eliminate the back and forth play of the crank.

I really really want to get back to really being able to drive my damn car :cry:

In Jersey we have to work on them ourselves. There are only, what, 6 or 7 running early Z cars left in the whole state and I have 3 of them!! J/K but they are few and far between and there really aren't any Z specialty shops around.

Joe

In Jersey we have to work on them ourselves. There are only, what, 6 or 7 running early Z cars left in the whole state and I have 3 of them!! J/K but they are few and far between and there really aren't any Z specialty shops around.

Joe