HybridZ

Sound System and Door Locks

Guest dvlax28

Guest dvlax28

While in the process of restoring my '73 240z, I have been worrying that even once all my work is done, my car will still be so easy to break into and steal. My friend's dad is a locksmith and he used his little wafer pin tools in a matter of 4 seconds and had the hatch open. No exaggeration.

So Z cars and I know most older cars are easy to break into because of the "wafer" style locks. My same friend is leaving on a mission and is giving me a mini soundsystem; a nice 12" with 2 10s and a new deck. So I figure all i need is some high end speakers in the front probably 6x9s and I will be content.

So once I get this sound system setup after the car is painted and all, I'm looking for some suggestions to what I can do/use/buy to make the locks better.

Right now I'm thinking one of those little universal alarms with sensor, ringer, and ignition kill, with the little remote controller. But even so, someone could steal my speakers or just cut the alarm. I realize that if someone wants to get in they can just break the window...but my friend made a suggestion to "do what all the hot rods do" and shave the door handles and go all electric with the claw-release locks.

Any suggestions from lock guys, people who have any more ideas? Just brainstorming. Also any help with my acoustics would be cool too :P

Jason

AIM: dvlax28

dvlax28@yahoo.com

'73 240z L28 F54 5-speed 4.11 R180

Rear suspension all shiny now!

Guest steveo

Where are the 6X9 gonna go in the front? I would go with some 5 or 6's with a custom kick pod in the foot well. Just my opinion.

LIke you said if some one wants your stuff they will get it. Go with a good alarm/Kill switch and maybe a window coating to make it harder to smash. Then shave the door handles cause it looks so sexy!

I know that you can swap in the 80's Maxima door locks (I don't know what wafer style is) or you can get aftermarket locks that use those cylindrical keys like on a bike lock.

You can shave the handles or do what I did, unhook them. Either way you're gonna end up using door poppers. BTW, I heard that some tracks require outside access to a car in case of emergency, so you might want to think about that.

I'm interested in learning about the claw release locks, any info you can give would be great.

Stevo,

What is this coating for the glass and where can I get it?

Owen

unfortunately, protecting your investment is a game of who wants it more. So the question becomes, what is a potential thief is willing to do to steal your stuff or your car. Keep that in mind while shopping for locks and alarms.

APC makes a cylinderical lock set that will drop into the factory locations and is your best bet for an easy bolt in situation, but that wont stop a tow truck or slim-jim.

An alarm is a very good idea, get one with a battery backup siren. It is easy to defeat most alarms in a Z by drilling a hole in the bottom of the battery and draining the electrolite out, thus killing the battery. This will give the thief plenty of time to steal what ever they want because your alarm will be dead.

Also, parking your z in a secure garage vs on the street is a big difference too. Playing your stereo (loudly) close to where you live is another great way to have someone follow you back to your house and steal your car or stereo.

Ultimately, you will need to look at how you want to protect your car, from a break in, or the theft of your Z and decide how to protect best protect it.

unfortunately, protecting your investment is a game of who wants it more. So the question becomes, what is a potential thief is willing to do to steal your stuff or your car. Keep that in mind while shopping for locks and alarms.

APC makes a cylinderical lock set that will drop into the factory locations and is your best bet for an easy bolt in situation, but that wont stop a tow truck or slim-jim.

An alarm is a very good idea, get one with a battery backup siren. It is easy to defeat most alarms in a Z by drilling a hole in the bottom of the battery and draining the electrolite out, thus killing the battery. This will give the thief plenty of time to steal what ever they want because your alarm will be dead.

Also, parking your z in a secure garage vs on the street is a big difference too. Playing your stereo (loudly) close to where you live is another great way to have someone follow you back to your house and steal your car or stereo.

Ultimately, you will need to look at how you want to protect your car, from a break in, or the theft of your Z and decide how to protect best protect it.

One word? Lo-jack. For 4 to 5 hundred $ (depending on who does the install) then sleep well every night. 1-800-456-5225. A few years back here in San Diego, a Monster-Miyata (hybrid) was recovered just South of the US/MEX border. They were striping it inside a house in Tijuana.

This is what I paln on doing do my Z soon' date=' these secure locks are about as good as you can get, without shaving door handles/locks.

http://zccw.org/Tech/General/SecureDoorLocks.html[/quote']

I tried contacting those guys 4-5 years ago, no dice. As Ron mentioned, APC makes some, this is exactly what I was describing in my first post. What I didn't mention is that they suck. Something in the cylinder breaks and the keys don't fit no more. But hey, APC quality right?

Owen

What everyone says above is true, and I especially agree with Ron C's comments on prevention.

You can't keep someone from stealing your stuff. If they want it badly enough, they'll get it. Over the past twenty five years and two dozen cars, I've learned the following:

1) Your best defense against theft is to keep them from knowing you have anything worth stealing. A flashy stereo that you play loud in your own neighborhood screams "Oh, PLEASE! Steal me!!!" Keep the volume down except when on the freeway, and you'll increase your chances of not getting it stolen.

2) Tint your windows. Out of the cars I've had, the ones with tinted windows got broken into about a third as often as the ones with clear glass.

3) Hide the stereo. My old Sony in my first Z had a fake A/C grille that fit over the faceplate. From outside the car, you couldn't tell the car had a radio in it.

4) Hide the speakers. Cars with big subwoofers and fancy speakers in the doors also have amps and head units worth stealing (or so thinks the thief.)

5) Install an ignition cutout switch that does more than disable the starter. Hide it somewhere other than in the driver's side footwell. One guy wired his ignition through the cigarette lighter. When it wasn't pushed in, he got no juice. Brilliant.

Anyone with half a brain can steal an older Z. The locks are wallered out, and the ignitions are easy to bypass. Your best hope of security is to keep your Z from being a tempting target.

Guest dvlax28

hey thanks guys, and Pathogen, i am very very interested in the star locks you linked to, thats exactly what i was looking for. anyone have a site or number since that one doesnt work apparently, right Owen?

and as for the speakers, i am thinking about a 12 around the spare tire area, with 2 10s in the normal speaker areas, with 2 6x9s behind the seats and some high end/tweeters in the front. where can i put the cd player/radio/deck? i have never seen a stock radio and i just have hole, is there a best way to set up the deck?

I was also going to use this kind of Perspex glass stuff on the hatch, windows, and 1/4 glass and tint it, possibly with louvers on the back so it will be hard to see and impossible to break.

jason

Guest dvlax28

hey thanks guys, and Pathogen, i am very very interested in the star locks you linked to, thats exactly what i was looking for. anyone have a site or number since that one doesnt work apparently, right Owen?

and as for the speakers, i am thinking about a 12 around the spare tire area, with 2 10s in the normal speaker areas, with 2 6x9s behind the seats and some high end/tweeters in the front. where can i put the cd player/radio/deck? i have never seen a stock radio and i just have hole, is there a best way to set up the deck?

I was also going to use this kind of Perspex glass stuff on the hatch, windows, and 1/4 glass and tint it, possibly with louvers on the back so it will be hard to see and impossible to break.

jason

Jason,

yeah, I tried a long time ago and never could get a hold of them. Do we have any Hawaii members here???

RPMS gave some good advice, hidden kill switches, taking the important fuse with you, etc. are all good ideas. Best idea is, don't tell anyone your tricks! :D It's like telling people which rock you hid the house key under.

Owen

Guest steveo

Stevo' date='

What is this coating for the glass and where can I get it?

Owen[/quote']

Sorry just got back on the board after a couple days.

Not sure of the name. Its the same stuff they use to make bullet proof windows. Its a thin clear layer of film that goes on the outside. ITs very pricey if a remember correctly. Call around to local glass places. A company here in Ottawa Canada scored big contracts world wide applying this film to windows of high rises to help reduce flying glass in case on terror attacks.

• 3 weeks later...
HAHAHA! Curb finders! I actually have some of those in my garage' date=' thought it would be better to look dorky than to knock my alignment out of whack or damage my wheels! they'll be painted black tho!

Owen[/quote']

OMFG!!! :shock::shock:

First the fart can...now this! :twisted::D:D:D