HybridZ

Oxygen spool.

So i hear alot of guys talking about how they have problems with rubo lag and spool times. I was thinking about this and have come up with this BASIC idea. As i have limited knowledge of the physics of forced inductiong id like you guys to help me if this is a stupid idea or if it just cant be done.

If you drilled a hole into the casing of a turbo and then made a port so that you could run a hose to the turbo and inject a burst of pure oxygen directly into the turbo at low RPM forcing it to spool, does this seem like an effective way to help a turbo to spool? I think that it would shoot vrey cold air into the turbo and then into the intercooler and this would also help your intercooler a little since the turbo would be getting a mix of hot gasses and the cold oxygen. if my post isnt clear tell me pleaxe, im on allergy medicine and might have jumbled some stuff up.

Roman

Well basically you would have more air than fuel in the system with the additional Oxygen, it needs to be measured by the MAF so the computer can add more fuel.

If Anything you would want to run that to the exhaust side of the turbo to make it spool faster......then you might have some possibilities.... but hey isnt' that why they have Nitrous???

Boost On,

Guest Cronic

There are a couple flaws with your theory...

1st, a turbo is extreemly hot under load. Injecting pure o2 in there would cause a nice fire.

2nd, even shooting a compressed inert gas in there... compressed gas causes an indothermic (cooling) reaction, and would prolly freeze the housing to the point of possible cracking and other bad things.

There are a couple flaws with your theory...

1st' date=' a turbo is extreemly hot under load. Injecting pure o2 in there would cause a nice fire.

2nd, even shooting a compressed inert gas in there... compressed gas causes an indothermic (cooling) reaction, and would prolly freeze the housing to the point of possible cracking and other bad things.[/quote']

i didnt think about that. should have, its pretty obvious. Oh well maybe i can come up with something else.

couple of problems:

1) O2 does not like to stop flowing quickly at high pressure. It will most likely cause an "oxygen fire" at teh point of the rapid shutoff.

2) Injecting pure O2 into the exhasut manifold WILL cause an oxygen fire.

Oxygen fires are not cool. You do not want one.

Some industrial engines use compressed AIR to pre-spin the turbo up to speed in conjunction with the air-to-head start system. But this is impractical for anything but a single run down the track, and to get it installed in the car, Tech will have to approve a 3600psi air cylinder somewhere on the car...

Guest bastaad525

small shot of nitrous, maybe 25hp shot, set to kick in at WOT and only go up to about 2500rpm... perfect way to get the car off the line and on boost faster. I really want to do this myself.