HybridZ

2000ccm in 280zx

Guest triv280zx

Guest triv280zx

I own 1980 280zx 2+2, with 5-speed manual gearbox.

I want to do an engine swap, and put in a smaller engine with up to 2000ccm capacity.

Reason I want to do this is strictly of money nature.

In my country registration and insurance for 2800ccm is about 4 times more expensive then for 2000ccm, and fuel consumption of 2800ccm engine is quite heavy :) (price of fuel is 1 euro per liter).

I thought of some options and did as much research on Internet as I could, and narrowed my choice to few engines.

Ca18det and sr20det engine from 200sx, which can be bought used for quite fair price, and deliver a lot of power from small capacity.

One of the other options was to use BMW 6cylinders 24valve 2000ccm engine from 320i or 520i, or Opel 4cylinders 16valve 2000ccm. They both have 150hp.

For now my first choice is ca18det because of it's price and availability.

I must add that I am not interested in doing any special modifications on new engine, because car will be used as a daily driver.

I searched this forum and few others, but I found no info on things that I am interested in.

"SR20DET in a 240Z, problems????" thread hasn't answered my questions.

I would like to know few things:

Is ca18det a good choice?

I found lot of cars with ca18det for sale with broken down engine or turbo. Is that engine durable enough?

Has anyone done this swap and would like to share experience?

I read on few places that ca18det can be bolted directly to 280zx gearbox. Can it?

Does 280zx's gearbox has proper gear ratio for ca18det engine?

Is it cheaper and less complicated to use ca18det's gearbox and connect it to 280zx's driveshaft?

Is it possible to connect 280zx's wiring with ca18det's ECU and rest?

Do I need anything else from donor car beside engine, gearbox(?), ECU and engine wiring (like radiator, fuel pump and stuff)?

Am I going to ruin car's balance by using lighter engine, and is it going to affect handling of car?

What kind of suspension changes will I have to do because of a lot lighter engine?

Thanks.

Vladimir

ps. In my country 280zx is quite rare. There is no more than 5 of them :).

Hi - You are asking alot of good questions. However...you are taking on an engine conversion that I have never seen in my 10+ years messing with Datsuns.

I have seen LOTS of engine conversions but never a CA18DET into a 280ZX. The CA18 engine conversions are popular into the 510 and 1200 Datsuns.

My thoughts is that it would be easier to take the CA18DET with its tranny and mount that in your car.

-Or-

Look at the back of the CA18 block and see if the bolt holes match your ZX tranny bellhousing. Nissan had (and still has) alot of compatibility, so don't be surprised if they do fit together. For example, I bolted up an FJ Turbo engine to a 280ZX tranny with no problems (sat at a slight angle) but the shifter still came through the hole in the tranny tunnel perfectly.

If you do attempt the CA18 swap you will need the full EFI, ECU etc and engine harness for the CA and mate that to the 280ZX harness. You will need the full wiring diagrams for both cars to make life easier and I hope you have a good understanding and aptitude for electricals as this can be a the very frustrating part of an engine swap.

Plus either way you will need to make fabricate new engine mounts to mount the CA engine into your ZX, which is a little tricky too, unless you are a good welder (or know someone).

The CA18 will not upset the handling of the ZX and might infact improve it, as the ZX is nose heavy to begine with.

I have seen CA18DET pumped up to 300hp, so there is alot of potential, espcially if they are built right and strong! Many people consider them the baby brother of the Skyline's RB26

As an aside you can get lots of performance CA parts from England

Good luck!

Yasin

Guest triv280zx

Does anyone know are back of ca18det block and 280zx tranny even similiar, or I will have to find nissan 200sx and ask owner to pop the hood :)?

As much as I could figure out ca18det and sr20det use same transmission bellhousing?

I think that (when and if it comes to that :) ) making of engine mounts will have to be left to a professional.

So, Yasin, you think 280zx's shock absorbers will not be too strong for new and light engine?

To solve problem of height I guess it will be enough to shorten springs a little bit.

Vladimir

Couple things. I don't believe the 280ZX is nose heavy. I axled my '83 model and it was 1430 lbs on the nose and 1450 lbs. on the rear.

The difference in weight between the engines is probably only 100 lbs. Also, the springs and struts on the 280Zx, if they are original, have probably lost some of their spring. Take a look at tyour car from the side. If it looks a little low in the rear then your springs have definitely sagged with age. I'd do the drive train conversion and then think about new springs. Once you know where it sits you can decide on the route you want to follow.

You may want to consider the stock 2000cc engine used in Japan Market, the L20E or the L20ET.

The L20E is fuel injected 6-cylinder identical in your configuration. Bolts right in. Has about 130HP in the stock form.

The L20ET is similar in configuration, and makes the same Horsepower as the stock L28E you currently have in the vehicle, but produces much more torque.

This swap (L20ET swapped for L28) was VERY popular in Japan in the late 80's and early 90's due to the exact same reasons you state: governmental taxation on vehicles with engines larger than 2000CC.

The L20ET will give you better drivability than the original L28. Many of the Specialty Magazines in Japan actually showed the 2-Litre engine to be superior in acceleration & fuel economy steady state due to it's turbocharged configuration producing more torque.

It is something to consider, as it required absolutely no re-engineering of the chassis or mounting points. It literally is a drop-in affair.

The most I could see having to do is swap oil pans and fabricate a rear-sump pickup if you happen to get a front-sumped engine out of a Skyline or other vehicle. Z, Cedric, and Gloria Sedans all were available with the L20ET and had rear sumps. I believe the Skyline was a front-sump engine, and am not quite sure what the Leopard had, but it too was available with the L20ET.

Good Luck on the Swap. Hope this gave you an easier alternative.

Guest triv280zx

Thank you.

Story of l20e and l20et is very useful. It sounds like a perfect swap for me.

BUT I did a little research on Internet, and found that they are extremely rare in Europe.

There are some of them in Asian part of Russia...

I think that shipping it from Australia or Japan, and paying import taxes will be more expensive than doing ca18det conversion.

And there is still matter of parts for that rare engine...

Vladimir

You could try to contact Frank Poll in the Netherlands, I believe that he has an L20E from a ZX, then the standard turbocharging bits are easy!

E-Mail me off-list, and I will get you his e-mail contact information. he doesn't know what he should do with the engine, so you may be able to get it for a reasonable sum! :D

• 1 month later...