HybridZ

Cowl Induction CF Hoods for Z

johnc

I've had a few people ask me if I can make a carbon fiber cowl induction hood for the 240/260/280Z. I talked with Stan the Carbon Fiber Man and we figured the best way would be to use the existing 240Z hood mold and then blend in a cowl induction hood scoop. That brings up a few questions:

1. We will have to retain the stock hood's center bulge to clear the L6 'cuz its already in the mold. Is that an issue for you folks?

2. How much of an opening do you folks need under the hood scoop?

3. Which cowl induction scoop: L88, Z28, SS?

4. Any need for mounting tabs at the back of the scoop for ducting?

Alternatively, I can have a mold built from scratch, but that's over $1,000 and I would need some assurance that I could sell 10 to break even.

Guest Grenade300

I have always thought that the stock hood was good, but needed a little more to accent it. I have thought a lot about this. One idea that is not really cowl induction would be to take the stock hood and cut two small rectangles in the very front of the hood bulge. Turning the hood bulge into a hood scoop. Picture something similar to the Trans Am WS-6 ram air hood, just a little more subtle.

Also, check out the summer 2004 Sport Z magazine on page 24. I would lood a lot better if the scoop was molded to the hood. That hood scoop was some sort of aftermarket hood scoop that drew air out of the engine compartment like a cowl induction hood.

Both ideas keep the same basic 1st gen hood shape.

Thats my car on page 24 :D .That hood scoop is a factory nissan piece put out in 1974 to fix vapor lock problems on 260Z's.It required a hole to be cut in the hood underneath,just over the top of the carbs to vent heat away.Kind of a rare piece.Its listed with details in the "how to restore" book.Someone else here has one on a red car that he molded into the hood.I like the carbon fiber hood a lot,would love to have one,i just need some kind of engine compartment venting.(I still hav'nt cut a hole in my hood under it yet,still trying to decide how to best seal the air cleaner to outside fresh air).Cutting a hole in a 750 dollar hood would make my head hurt.

That hood scoop was some sort of aftermarket hood scoop that drew air out of the engine compartment like a cowl induction hood.

Actually, the only cowl induction hood that was designed to draw air out of the engine compartment was the L88 hood. It had openings at the front that were supposed to help the radiator exhaust air on the Corvettes. The rear of the cowl induction hood is designed to draw air into a sealed carb box using the high pressure area at the base of the windshield.

http://www.texastransams.com/ parts/fiberglass.htm

Scroll down, 3rd image on the left.

Wow Tim! That car is beautiful! What an amazing paint job!

FYI... the real race L88 hoods have the slot in the front of the scoop cut open on the backside to exhaust air from behind the radiator. The street L88 hoods had that area closed off.

Those are really sweet hoods... on L88/stingray vets!

That has to be the most reproduced hood scoop ever!

I think I have seen one on nearly every type of rwd chevy product(not to mention a few fords) I have ever seen! More than half the time it is a really poor install.. ie. zinc plated sheet metal screws!

There are just soo many of em out there! haha

Sam

John, the L88 hood looks great on the vette, i had a 70 LT-1 same hood style, i don't think the z car is wide enough to pull that look off.

the Z/28 cowl scoop with a 2 inch height, would be the way to go. opening at the cowling for an air intake, would be my choice.

some of the hoods i've seen, only raise the portion of the center bulge,i don't care for that.

i would prefer the cowl scoop to the standard Z/28 size in length, height and width. not, just the bulge being raised.

maybe bring the hood bulge up to the cowl scoop, ending there. eliminating the bulge, would probably change the character of the car, a bit too much. though, it wouldn't bother me, if the bulge were to go.

as far as under the hood, stock mounting, metal reinforced, direct bolt on with latch mechanisms. if possible an opening similar to the Z/28, clearance for the cowl induction system. tabs in the rear scoop area, would be a plus.

i am running a V8, so my wants lean that direction, Z/28 style cowl, all the way across, not just at the bulge, a functional open scoop, clearance for the air cleaner.

were you suggesting, that you need to get $1000 for a fiber glass Z/28 style hood, to break even ??

what would the price of a decent paint ready ( gel coat ??? ) street car, hood with Z/28 style scoop, solid, factory, metal reinforced, stock location mounts, with factory style latch cost, out the door ?

thanks, wayne

were you suggesting, that you need to get $1000 for a fiber glass Z/28 style hood, to break even ??

No. To make a mold so that I can make these hoods it will cost me about $1,000. Then, at the margin I'm selling them at (about $100 over my cost) I would have to sell 10 hoods to pay for the mold. I would make a profit on hood #11. From the discussion on this thread it looks like there's not a market for cowl induction hoods for the early Z.

Guest JAMIE T

I don't think there is NOT a market for a cowl induction hood. The Cowl hood is aimed at the drag racing guys to clear huge induction. There is probably NOT a market for a CF cowl induction hood. The drag guys cars are light enough with a thin pin down F-glass hood. FWIW, I must have missed the part about you build CF hoods in the first place. You make a stock replacement? How much?

Oh man i cant belive that vette is actuall car it looks like picture to me :shock: . I have one of those nissan hoods molded into 70 240z hood. My uderside has acutally been cut out so that makes the hood fully functional. I drove the car is Alabama summer and i had problems just trying to keep the car to run at normal temps but it usually ran about 10 to 15 deg. cooler so i think that hood was doing its job :D .

JohnC,

Every so often i get emails about people asking me where they can get hood like my at and unfortunelly sp i really can't help them out because i dont know of anyone making them maybe that could be something for you to look into? Here are few pictures of it

439204_7_full.jpg

439204_12_full.jpg

439204_9_full.jpg

Ivan

I had to buy a new hood, After looking at every different hood I desided I wanted a 2" cowl induction hood. Well to go and buy one, it looks like they run about $500 plus shipping.

I found a beat cowl hood with a 3" lift, I picked it up for $200 plus $140 to have it shipped.

I have put 15 hours into it so far and it needs 6 more.

If I had realized how much work it needed I would have but a new one...

Also the 3" lift makes it look inmature. I don't much like it and may just sell it later and buy what I want....

So if you are thinking about 2" I would buy one and I know another guy here that said he was going to buy one also, so thats 2...