HybridZ

UNDERCOATING

Man I thought scraping undercoating was bad!! I finally finished scraping the chassis and made my way inside the car to prep the floor boards. To my superise the sound deadaening mats that are put down are some sort of thick tar paper!! With the car on the rotisserie and my limited reaching abilities it was quite a chore. Luckily or noy Luckily the stuff came up pretty easy where the floor was rusted. Which was about 1/3 of the total scraping I did. I decided to do all of it like the trans tunnell etc to get a nice new surface for when I paint it. I will post some pics after I get my camera fixed. :roll:

I did find two spots on the drivers side that will require a little welding. Not too bad considering that it looks like some idiot did drive it during a couple of Buffalo winters!! :evil:

How are you removing your undercoating?

I spent some time last weekend doing the same thing. What a PITA! Even though it came of FAIRLY easy with a 3M stripping wheel I am going to invest in a butane torch... melt the stuff right off!

Whoever sprayed the coating on my car must have had a hard on for it... that stuff was THICK!

Keith

[b']How are you removing your undercoating?[/b]

I was using some stripper from POR-15 I went through 2 gallons and at $40 a pop it wasn't cheap. It worked pretty well though.

I am going to invest in a butane torch... melt the stuff right off!

I tried this approach and dont recomend it. It makes the undercoating gummy and although it starts to come off easy it turns sticky and is a real PITA to deal with. Plus it burns and stinks the garage up.

Whoever sprayed the coating on my car must have had a hard on for it... that stuff was THICK!

:lol::lol: Yea I thought the same thing. I kept the pile I scraped off and I estimate it to weigh at least 50 to 60 lbs!!! Not to mention it was UGLY and actually seemed to hold moisture in some spots and help the rusting process.

Check out my website to see some pics of the process, and good luck with yours. Keep us posted on your progress!!

Rufus

On the interior sound deadener if it is hardened like mine an air chisel pops it right off. At least most of it, you can clean the remnants up pretty easy. Someone posted that a while ago and I tried it in my hatch area and was pretty amazed how easy the stuff came up.

Jon