HybridZ

California is beginning to suck more than

auxilary

a hoover vaccuum

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=32931

California Emissions Exemption Repeal Bill Passes in Assembly; Moves to Senate - June 2004

Thank you for your enthusiastic response to our previous messages regarding A.B. 2683, the California legislation that would repeal the state’s current rolling emissions test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older. As you are aware, A.B. 2683 would repeal the current pro-hobbyist exemption and replace it with a law requiring the permanent testing of all 1976 and newer model vehicles. Despite thousands of your messages in opposition, the bill passed in the California Assembly and will now be considered in the Senate. We must now focus our efforts on the Senate Transportation Committee!

Call, Fax or E-mail members of the Senate Transportation Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to A.B. 2683

Our arguments are the same:

Existing law in California exempts all vehicles 30 years old and older from emissions testing.

California’s current emissions testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of vehicles 30 years old and older on vehicle emissions and air quality.

Vehicles 30 years old and older constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

Antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (about one-third the miles each year as a new vehicle).

Legislators and regulators are feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat. The old car hobby should not carry the burden of their mistakes!

California Senate Transportation Committee

Senator Kevin Murray (Chair)

Phone: (916) 445-8800

Senator.murray@sen.ca.gov

Senator Tom McClintock (Vice-Chair)

Phone: (916) 445-8873

senator.mcclintock@sen.ca.gov

Senator Roy Ashburn

Phone: (916) 445-5405

senator.ashburn@sen.ca.gov

Senator James Brulte

Phone: (916) 445-3688

Senator.Brulte@sen.ca.gov

Senator Liz Figueroa

Phone: (916) 445-6671

Senator.Figueroa@sen.ca.gov

Senator Dean Florez

Phone: (916) 445-4641

Senator.florez@sen.ca.gov

Senator Betty Karnette

Phone: (916) 445-6447

Senator.karnette@sen.ca.gov

Senator Bill Morrow

Phone: (916) 445-3731

Senator.murrow@sen.ca.gov

Senator Don Perata

Phone: (916) 445-6577

Senator.Perata@sen.ca.gov

Senator Jack Scott

Phone: (916) 445-5976

senator.scott@sen.ca.gov

Senator Nell Soto

Phone: (916) 445-6868

Senator.soto@sen.ca.gov

Senator Jackie Speier

Phone: (916) 445-0503

Senator.speier@sen.ca.gov

Senator Tom Torlakson

Phone: (916) 445-6083

Senator.torlakson@sen.ca.gov

A.B. 2683 would repeal the current pro-hobbyist exemption and replace it with a law requiring the permanent testing of all 1976 and newer model vehicles.

Am I reading this right? 1976 and up? Glad to see they're leaving older cars alone, and since our current cutoff is '74, nobody will have to smog their cars who don't already. I can live with this much better than the idea discussed earlier about mandatory tests for all cars.

Well, they really CAN'T repeal the already exempt car since there would be no way for 30+ year old car with swapped engines to pass smog according to CA vehicle code. If you had a car that suddenly couldn't pass smog due to the repealed law you could sue the state and win quite easily as they are in breach of contract, even if the law is repealed it was an existing contract at the time of the swap. I've studied quite a bit of civil code and business law and it would be illegal for them to change existing changes, they could only prevent further changes. It still sucks, but at least the 29+ crowd won't get screwed :(

that's the point. force people to either upgrade to smog compliant, or make them get rid of vehicles. It's a way to get rid of old cars and reduce pollution.

why do you think Smog check II was implemented? although I hope you're right about the civil law codes

I don't think swaps were ever "legal". Smog was not required, but that's not the same as saying swaps are kosher.

They are legal if you swap in all the smog stuff that is appropriate for the new engine and pass the smog regs associated with the year of the engine you install (and it has to be newer than the original car).

Cancelling your Sierra Club membership or not donating to any of the other environmental charities or associations would do more than protesting to Arnold. Maybe next time around CA guys don't vote for Pelosi or Boxer. Arnold is after all the governor who swapped a Vette engine into his Hummer...

Jon

I know *my* swap isn't legal, but hte loophole is that I'm not forced to have a smog check, and therefore, no requirement for a smog station official to look under my hood and tell me what equipment I'm missing. ie. I can't be busted for not having a cat, since 240Zs never had cats. Because I don't have to be at the smog station

I'm definitely not condoning the above action, but if you look at this logically, older cars do pollute (in general) a lot more than the newer ones. Statistically, it makes perfect sense to try to clean up the older vehicles. Stop and think about it logically, and you will agree (once you take out your own personal agenda and emotion).

That said, I will also (and have in the past) fight tooth and nail to stop this. If this was more about clean air and less about legislation and politics and money, then why in the world wouldn't they just create a 'emissions banking' system, like the RECLAIM program for large stationary sources (in the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) jurisdiction anyways). It should be completely irrelevent what engine you put in your vehicle and what emissions system you keep or do not keep. What counts should be what is measured at the tail pipe.

So, under that philosophy, if you were to undergo a swap, you would actually get credit for the net decrease in emissions from what the maximum allowable would be for the engine that was removed, compared to the new engine....make sense?

For instance, my swap.....I will be dollars to dimes, that my LT1 (without EGR, CAT, and air pump) emits less than the L6 2.4 with all the crap that it had on it......

It would make everyone happy....less emissions, more $$ into the economy (more people would likely undergo swaps thereby pumping money into the aftermarket and JY and replacement parts market), which means more tax dollars going into the State's coffers.

OK...so it would still mean a smog test (1 time), but I think it would be a no-brainer!!

Tim