HybridZ

Does your Z have a fever? find out with this cool little Gun

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

http://www.tempgun.com/rc.html

they can be used for just about anything. even measuring your skin temperature.

I was bored today and decided to use my temp gun on the my turbo L28 engine while it was idling. here are the numbers that I measured

temps in Fharenheight

exhaust tip 100

intake over turbo 105

intercooler in 80 out 77. Porsche 951 intercooler

valve cover 134

turbo 314

down pipe 254

280z radiator - 159 entrance 146 pass side top 90 pass bottom 96 drivers side bottom

fuel rail stock 100 in 150 to return

thermostat housing 140

oil pan 150

exhaust manifold 1-6 runners 326 334 414 414 330 390

front of head plate 142

oil housing turbo 177

02 plug 220

just thought I shared. All of the temps were recorded in minutes.

fabulous tool!

Hopefully it hasnt been beat to death already. I would like to take measurments now after ripping it up a little and watching it cool at idle and at 10mph . There are so many variables to keep me busy for a Day!

only cost me 20 at my local hobby shop.

thanks Juan

Juan - I have something very similar, I bought it off eBay brand new and is made by Craftsman. It is also an Infrared Temp gauge but has a laser pointer so you know exactly what you are pointing at, plus it has a few extra features like Peak hold etc etc. VERY handy tool and I bought specifically to measure engine temps (similar to what you have listed below). Pocket sized too.

I paid $35 for mine incl. shipping.

Here is a pic:

03482327000-dlv.jpg

Yasin

I sold Yasin my last rail (which was on my Z) but we be making one of my own on shortly.

Bill Z, Just being an avid Z fan and Hybridz member my parts tend to trail with me so it just works naturally when I make posts.

Im just surprised I didnt come across this tool until recently. Yes I have heard of them but they were always like 100 bucks or so even more and never came across my mind of needing it.

I havent seen any of these on the posts so I made this one.

Thanks Juan

Guest comeandzpa

exhaust manifold 1-6 runners 326 334 414 414 330 390

Is it bad that 3 and 4 are way hotter than the others, and 6 is fairly warm too? I don't know much about engine mechanics or layouts, so maybe those cylinders produce more heat somehow?

the 3 and 4 runners meet together. i guess 6 is warm because it collects in the turbo. thats where all the heat meets. temps raise as all the heat expells on one side of the exhaust mainfold. Sounds like a resonable guess.

Juan

the Crafstman one is O.K. for general use, but beware as it's not the most accurate.

I have one I use for general stuff that I keep in my travel bag since it's cheap and if it goes away it's not big loss.

The ones by Raytek are very good, and have a MUCH tighter focus spot at a distance.

Also beware of using them on polished surfaces, they don't emit the same as a rough surface.

Similarly Stainless Steel does not emit hardly at all without painting it.

Been using one of these for years, and they are great.

"In the beginning" they are about the size of a Dirty-Harry Special, and cost $800! Now you get better resolution on a unit that costs $90!

Cool, huh?