HybridZ

Looking for LS1 advice related to exhuast

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

First off I put this in the chevy forum because the LS1 if it should be moved sorry for the trouble.

I just found out that in my county(Kitsap) there is NO emissions testing required!! :D

So what can I elimante from the LS1 to make more power and not screw up the CPU?

Can I have a company reprogram all that info?

I am planing on running 1 3/4" headers, LS6 intake, ported or tuned 85mm TB, and a C2 cam 224 .581 112lsa single pattern cam, cold air, and an underdrive pulley. I am looking for 450hp at the crank.

I am still trying to find out if I need to jump throuh any hoops for just putting a LS1 in the Z, but I havn't got anywhere with the WSP yet.

Thanks

Guest iskone

update:

I just heard back from the WSP(washington state patrol) and it's good news.

They told me the only thing that will matter when I put the LS1 in the Z will be emissions!

Since in my county that means nothing it's all ace's for me!!! :D:D:D

I also talked with the guys at MTI and they said delteing any error codes won't be a problem, and having no EGR and AIR won't effect anything either!

No I'm just waiting to hear back from the exhuast shop.

The good news is that you can probably eliminate the catalytic converters - hard to find a place for them anyway. That also eliminates the second set of O2 sensors. You'll need the first ones for the engine to operate properly. Make sure when you have your ECM edited that they input the 2001-2002 settings. They are a bit more aggressive than the older ones. Everything else is basically not worth trying to fool with. It's a great engine. Lots of power and decent fuel economy.

The year of the motor doesnt matter... The "Burn" or program on the PCM is what you need to be aware of... My 99C5 blew 296 at the wheels through 100K mile old cats and dual straight pipes. I know of two other guys with less "Mods" who turned 312 and 310 respectively... And their cars had the 2001 and new programing. HUGE difference.

Also, I just found this out myself, but be aware that two of your mods are hit and miss. The underdrive pulley kits throw error codes spradically and the TB (Depending on who did it) MIght be a huge issue when it comes to making it idle... I just picked up a Shaner TB and was told it may not work for these reasons... How soon are you in need of a LS1? I'll have one available hopefuly in July sometime!

Mike :D

Mike

Guest iskone

I'm hoping to get a 2001 because it already comes with the intake I want.

If a 2001 wil be more than $500 the cost of a 2000 then screw it, It just depends on the deal I can get.

July is too early for me I won't be ready for the motor until late December early January by my best guess.

I read that thread you posted about LS1 do's and dont's(that was your post right?), another reason I'd rather have a 2001+ motor is the TB.

I would rather spend the money on a TB that is larger and tuned correctly befroe I port the stock one.

How large is the Shaner you bought?

Well don't be disappointed if you don't find a complete motor for that price... I paid $450 SHIPPED for a complete Z06 intake/ TB/ Injectors/ Fuel Rails...

There are deals out there, but I'm seeing most LS1 motors sell for $1000 and up.

Mike 8)

If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me:

Years ago after the LT1 engine came out there was a discussion about eliminating EGR. Someone came back and said that the use of EGR at part throttle allowed more ignition advance and better gas mileage. They further stated that since EGR doesn't work at full throttle, there was really no reason to remove it.

I would suspect the LS1 would fall in this same category - the degree of control the computer has on the engine is what is responsible for its' good power and mileage performance.

JMHT - FWIW

Guest iskone

Mike, I wish I could find a motor that cheap!!

I was only talking about the a $500 difference in price, not $500 for the complete motor.

Brad, That's the sort of thing I was worried about and why I talked to the guys at MTI.

They didn't mention MPG at part throtle, I think I'll do some more research, thanks for the heads up!