HybridZ

I feel ripped off by Borla

auxilary

Auxilary - I bought a Dynomax Ultraflow for my turbo setup. 3" in/out, all the way through. The non-stainless part cost me $65 from Summit. I researched it first, and it flows 2 to 3 times what most "performance" mufflers will flow. I got it on the car, with 3" pipe from my downpipe, and it is quieter than what I had before; a full 2.5" system with a chambered muffler. I highly recommend the Dynomax.

I have an APEXi N-1 turbo model. 3" inlet no tapering inside (3" straight through)with a 4" tip. I've got straight pipe and it really isn't that loud until high RPM where it sounds like a GT race car. I love it. Would like to turbo the engine, it would clean up the idling sound (sounds like a harley at idle). Supposedly these are top of the line. I paid $150 for it. Watch for curbs though. The rear weld is coming undone though. I hate when My mom drives my car. It only sits like 4-5" off the ground and the car needs new springs so she bottoms out going up the curved curb to the driveway and scrapes the muffler even when it's sitting as high up as possible. Thus breaking the rear weld. I need to weld it back together. Only like a 3/4" separation.

Hey Alex...

I don't know if your remember the sound of my ZXT... I agree with SleeperZ and I believe TimZ is using one also. From research from what I had found at the time was that Dynomax Ultraflow 3"in/3"out Race Magnum straight through had the least amount of back pressure. It's has a deep throaty rumble rather then a raspy sound like some do.

Donna

PS.. Good to see ya at Blackhawk!!!

rotaries make ~1400-1500 * F at the exhaust ports. This is why I can't use a regular muffler with fiberglass packing.

That sounds comparable to most engines. Your exhaust temperature will be considerably lower after exiting the turbos. Turbo cars are much easier on mufflers, less heat, and typically less pressure, if you pick the right muffler ;)

A turbo "muffles" the exhaust tone slightly. In essence it greatly reduces the magnitude of the pulsations from each individual cylinder, and as a result you get many smaller exhaust pulses travelling down the exhaust system. What this does is change the frequency of the exhaust tone, as well as modify the resonant frequency of the exhaust system so that the resonant frequency is outside that frequency range achieved by the engine during normal operation.

The result: Typically no exhaust drone, a "quieter" note (ie: most of the noise has moved outside the audible range) and best of all... POWER. :D

• 1 month later...

Man that is a fart cannon. Recently cut the fart cannon (HKS muffler) off my 83zxt before I sold it, and I was suprised, it doesnt sound very loud at all, sounds like a TPI with flowmasters, quieter though, took some of the tone away from the exhaust note, but not that loud.

• 4 months later...

on my 77 turbo i put the muffler under the heat shield for the cat convertor.i used a 19" long oval 3" magnaflow.just the right tone-low and gets quiet under boost.no drone on the freeway.dont need no muffler at the back of the car-it looks cleaner with out it.after the muffler there are 2 3" 90 mandrel bends and a piece of straight pipe.