HybridZ

SBC w/S&S header clearance

I put my S&S headers on when I dropped the motor in my car, and just got the car back on the ground with the wheels on it. With the flange at the bottom of the rockers at 6", my normal ride height, I have a whopping 1 3/4" ground clearance. This looks like a wreck waiting to happen.

Is anyone else running these? How high is your car and how much clearance do you have? Can you get the car on & off a trailer? How often do they hit the pavement?

To say I am pissed is a huge understatement, especially since I have spent about $500 on these and they appear to be unusable.

Back to the block huggers....

John

Tim, how do they adjust them? I've looked them over quite a bit and don't see how to improve things. The bottom of the bend where the downtubes go rearward to the collectors is about 1/4" lower than the collectors. To make any significant improvement, the tubes from the bends coming off the cyl head flanges would have to be shortened before they get to the bends going back to the collector. To my mind, that's not adjustment, it's major surgery. You can't just whack them in two, cut out a piece and weld them back, cause the angled tubes aren't going to match up with out rotating the tube in the cyl head flange. And, I had them ceramic coated inside and out, so any welding is going to be a problem.

I appreciate your input, but I don't understand how they could make much of a change.

My engine is in the JTR position; are these headers for the scarab/hooker position? S&S's website doesn't specify, but only shows one header.

John

I'm not really sure to be honest, but I've read about a few guys on here sending them back and having something done to increase the clearance. Hopefully they will chime in, or try doing a search?

Sorry, my info is anecdotal, not imperical

Tim

Tim, I apologize for the short reply. I was really in a bad mood yesterday evening.

I recall some members have had the collector welded on at a 5 deg angle to help out with the floorboard clearance. Mine have that mod incorporated in from S&S. My collectors are close to the floorboards, but they are workable.

I'm going to give S&S a call today and discuss it, but after some thought I'm pretty sure these are intended for the Hooker engine position. If the engine was forward and higher they would fit pretty nicely.

Nullbound, do I recall you posting you had a friend who used the S&S's? If so, can you get some details on his installation?

Anybody else with a set of S&S's?

John

i know that a few people here are using them with jtr out of the box, but some had complained a bit about the low-hanging passenger-side like tim mentioned. mikelly had posted some pics recently of his installed in his car.

i had not heard of s&s modifying them, though. i do recall, however, a thread where some members were trying to get s&s to make/modify the existing ones to fit with the jtr kit.

i do have a friend that is using them in 2 cars currently, but with the scarab/hooker kit.

from what i understand, they were designed for (as listed on the s&s webpage) 'Long Hugger 1927-34/ 1935-48 Fat Fenders with Rack & Pinion /1962-67 Nova'. and someone along the way figured out that these headers fit with datsuns with v8 conversions, though they were not specifically made for this conversion.

let us know what you hear from s&s...

Guest tony78_280z

I used the kit from motorsports..umm.. zcarparts.com. I bought the short headers they offered there also. Where as I could NEVER recomend that pathetic kit (i could go on at some length with the problems) The headers fit perfect.

I had pics on here somewhere showing the clearances I had... And based on my ride height, I was gonna have about 3 inches of clearance with my coil overs set about 1.5 inches between top of tire and bottom of fender (running 45 series 17s up front and 40 series 17s in the back). It really depends on how low you want to go on your settings... Mind you, Mine is just mocked up as I do NOT have the trans assembled to the motor and didn't when I had the motor in the car... this was all kinda guess work.

However, based on my mock-up, it looked pretty darned good IF you can live with three inches. Otherwise you would have to chop them up like Tim did and make some try Y units.

Mike