HybridZ

Megasquirt wiring harness!!

Tim240z

Haha, I know Rodney Sparks too. Anyone remotely related to FSAE will have crossed paths with him at one point or another.

Actually he was a member on Hybridz too for a little while, not sure if he ended up getting a Z in the end or not.

Tim,

Is the MegaSquirt for your new project? What are you going to be running in it?

If it's for the Z why are you switching away from the LT1 PCM?

My son is rebuilding a 305 that has one of those computer controlled Quadra-Jets. I have an old Holley Pro-Jection unit we've been considering using on it with a MegaSquirt controller, what do you guys think?

Wheelman

Wheelman,

Yes, this is gonna be for the 1940 Chevy. I will be running a 350ci from my old 71 truck (put another 350 in that). I am converting an LT1 intake to use a rear mount dizzy, and will use that intake with injectors and megasquirt system. I really want the simplicity of a carby with this project, but have the MS and want to use it. I also want the fuel economy that FI affords, since this project will be a family cruiser for long trips up the coast or to Vegas etc.....

I will use MS for fuel control only (IE not ignition control).

Tim

I have the 2BBL 670 CFM holley pro-jection TBI kit on my 350 in my 280ZX, and WOW is it smooth. I know it's analog and all, but it works great when you get it tuned in properly. Step on the gas and snap you're head back. None of the hesitation you would get from a carb, no secondary opening sound, just mad power, right now. I likey :).

One thing I do not like about it is re-tuning from day to day as the weather changes. With no closed loop, it starts running rich on really hot days (in Texas, I mean REALLY hot) and when it cools off or rains it leans out again.

The megasquirt is in the garage just waiting on a harness, so this sounds like the trick to get that up and running. That's all I need now, so I can't wait. Just got the O2 bungs installed, just wish megasquirt would work with both sensors at the same time, not just 1 or the other. I will have to wire them up on some kind of switch or something.

Anyway, wheelman, I think that would be a great idea, as that's what I'm doing. Need to get the 4BBL throttle body, though, as it dives really hard around 5k rpm (the 2 bbl version that I have only supports 300HP).

my $0.02

Bill

Labrat,

This is going on my son's 305 that is for an 81 Caprice Station wagon. Yeah I know, what's your kid doing with a wagon like that? :?: But he likes it, can haul around all his friends and if he ever gets hit the other guy will sustain more damage than he will.

The ProJection unit I have is the 670 CFM 2 barrel as well. I got it free from a friend 12 years ago and have never used it. I'll have to make sure the injectors work and need to replace the gasket on the bottom of the throttle body but other than that it is in great shape.

Wheelman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Rodney Sparks

Hey everyone!

I was told that this discussion was going on. I'm glad people like my harnesses! I should mention that they are actually just 'wiring kits', and are simply a pile of very high-quality wire, stamped with identifying text, cut to length, and stripped. However, to anyone who has ever wired up a Megasquirt, this saves a lot of time. 8)

Sims, I wanna see more pics!!!

About my getting a Z... I would love to get one, and someday I probably will, but at this point getting my career going, buying a house, preparing for the kid that my wife and I have on the way, etc. is forcing it to the back burner along with lots of my other projects... :wink: It'll probably happen someday.

It sure IS a small world! It cracks me up that there are people on this forum that know me from here, FSAE, BANEON, and msefi.com/the MS list.

I'm still learning the ropes when it comes to selling products online, and now that I'm caught up with all of my harness orders, I'm submitting a larger order so that I can keep a few on hand and keep people from being at the mercy of the wire harness manufacturer's inconsistent lead times. Tim240z knows what I'm talking about. :wink:

I was asked if a wire set is available for L6 engines... my answer is that you'll just have a few extra wires left over. Due to the pricing structure of the manufacturer of these wires, even a 50% reduction in the quantity of wire in my full wire harness kit (which is set up for 8 individually wired injectors and contains 418' of wire) would only result in a very small discount. I figure that having a few feet of spare GXL wire on hand wouldn't hurt anyone... the stamping ink can be almost completely wiped off with a little bit of gasoline (although a slight embossing is left behind), and the wire can be re-used elsewhere! 8)

About the completed MegaSquirt units: I'm going to have 4 of 'em ready by the end of the week, and only 1 is spoken for. I'll have pictures on the site sometime around Friday, so people can actually see what they're getting. FYI, I'm going to be offering a $20 discount if a harness kit is purchased with an MS unit. I'm not currently set up to offer stimulators or relay boards just yet, but I'm going to get on that as soon as the MegaSquirts start rolling out smoothly.

I'll watch this thread, but I don't really browse this forum anymore (I don't need the temptation!!! :twisted: ), so feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

-Rodney

• 3 weeks later...

Rodney, I received my harness yesterday in the mail. Nice work, Good documentation.

Guys this harness wire set is excellent. Everything marked, with documentation letting you know what size wire for what along with color code. Even lets you know which wire is or is not going to the relay board.