HybridZ

How do people smog RB's, single turbo Supras in CALI??????

cyrus

How do people smog RB's, single turbo Supras in CALI?????? Living in the People's Republic of California with smog Nazi, flamin' liberals, and a tree huggers is tough. I spend so much time trying to have something smog legalish. Everyone else seems to build what ever they want. Everyone says oh don't worry about it, but maybe they dont understand this is for real. All the magazine feature cars all day long which would be laughed right off the smog referee's station. The idea of not having the original rear end gear here is considered punishable by death to smog nazi. We even have 1 800-2snitch hotlines to bust polluting vehicles. So come clean people and tell me what is going on, how do these car pass smog.

To the best of my knowledge it is impossible as the engines were never CARB, or Federally approved or sanctioned. Without that as a starting point, I can't see that it is at all possible to have it certified. Maybe if they are somehow certified through Motorex or some other import house? I dunno.....

Guest Zachb55

YEah, hes right, if it wasnt a "california car" to start off with or you dont have every little emissions thing on there now there is no way your gonna get it to CARB status, not without a lot of money to make it weaker.

-Zach

Guest bastaad525

people must be doing it somehow. While I haven't seen a lot of RB engines, I HAVE seen a lot of SR20DET's in 240sx's and sentras, and as far as I know that motor was never imported here legally either. This is in souther CA by the way... so guys are getting away with it some how, legally or not I dont know... guess I"ll find out when I drop one of those SR20DET's in MY sentra :flamedevil:

Well according to California Smog laws, if your car is a 74(maybe 73?) or older you don't have to run a smog test. But be forwarned to transfer title of any car, i.e. you buy or sell it, it has to pass smog! AND the SELLER is responsable for all the smog equipment, NOT the buyer. So if you are going to keep it go for it. :shock:

Guest bastaad525

actually you don't have to smog a '74-or-earlier EVEN WHEN YOU BUY IT. When I bought my '72 I did not have to smog it, this was just last year. It never would have passed if I had, as I immediately put an L28 motor in it, and left all the smog equipment off (smog pump and PCV system), and it used to run super rich as well.

BUT, that still doesn't explain guys with 240sx's and sentras running around with non-legal motors, nor does it answer the single-turbo-on-a-supra question.

A friend of mine recently registered a skyline gtst as a 240sx kit car in nevada, and drives it around whenever he wants with nevada plates on it. Dont ask me how I dont know. RB and SR motors cannot be smogged nor refereed legally. A supra engine can be refereed, an older car is exempt from emissions testing, but this assumes you keep it how it came stock with the smog pump or other emissions equipment, be careful.

$upra crowd is loaded, they can smog anything..... but to be legit they have to put the cats and other smog stuff back on and detune a bit, stock they smog pretty easy. I guarantee if they come single turbo without the right equipment hooked up, even with a cat, a good smog tech is failing them fast! There are ways around the dyno smogging of course but the ways to do it have advanced with the system of emissions testing and

if all of the oem smog equipment is hooked up changing a supra from 2 to 1 turbo would not effect the operation of the smog equipment.as far as 240sx swaps the people that own these cars know that they will always have a problem smogging the car.some counties in california are transfer only.that is the loop hole most people are using because at least the car has a california license plate.the populated areas of neveda have tougher inspections than california.so rent that po box some where else.i went to a smog update class to renew my license( ca smog license) and the instructor said the cars that got busted with jdm engines got impounded.but dont hang out where the street racers get busted.