HybridZ

NormThe12secondSUdude visited/checked out the supercharger

kj280z

Hey all,

I thought you'd be interested in hearing about the latest Z guy to come down to Florida to visit us.

Norm and his wife came down and spent the last 2 days at our house. We had a barbeque with Rick Bowers (Speeder) and got to see several videos of Norms car blasting down the track. We had a great time and Norm and his wife are great people.

Norm has literally boxes full of time slips and a log book which helps him track his changes and driving conditions.

It was a great time and a blast just hanging out.

I know a lot of people have been curious about the supercharger project. Norm and I talked quite extensively about it. I'm sure he'll chime in about what he thinks now that he's seen it.

We had a running joke about all the stuff that I'll start breaking once the motor is running.

The picture below pretty much says it all... Norm is standing by the motor with his broken crank and exploded clutch and a SEG on his face.

I'm going to run the Supercharged Motor with an Electromotive Tec2... Should be fun...

In addition to talking to Norm and several other Z guys about the Superchargers promise... I had a long conversation with Steve Millen about it today too...

I personally think it's gonna be a total rip to drive... I'm sure Norm and others will chime in... Our goal is to run 10 psi of boost.

Hope you enjoy the picture...

Ken

Sport Z Magazine

DSC02273.JPG

I believe I'll have plenty of clearance in my 75 280z. I hope to have the engine in shortly so I'll let you know once it's in and the radiator is installed.

Since I've already received a few emails about this, the gap between the pulley and the motor is because the timing chain cover is not installed. I just put the pulley on so Norm could see how it all fits together.

I still need to make a tensioner plate in the next few days.

Also, since I already have received a question on the inlet housing for the supercharger, I'll elaborate...

The supercharger is a Magnuson MP62. It is the same supercharger that Stillen is using for the 350Z. I bought the inlet directly from Stillen. I had originally made an inlet for it, but this alumunum casting is going to work perfect.

More information can be found about this supercharger by Clicking Here

Keep in touch if you'd like an update

Ken

Guest Loose_Screws
how close is that crank pully going to be to the radiator

The pulley looks to be in the stock location, don't see a problem with it hitting the radiator. Notice the timing chain and cover are not installed. The belt driving the supercharger on the other hand and the supercharger itself looks like they may get close to the radiator shroud. That's easily fixed with an electric fan and some work with a sawzall!

I do like that looks of that supercharger!

Looks great Ken. Sounds like that Stillen inlet tube is going to work great for you. Is that the one that is in the picture? I remeber the discussion with Steven Millen at the Convention track day, and he seemed to think that SC was a good fit for a 2.8L (although he didn't seem to know what an L28 was :shock: ). It was also real cool to get some pointers from Steve on the Streets of Willow too :D !

BTW, I'm installing an AEM Wolf 3D V4 in Brad's (roostmonkey's) car in the next few weeks, I'll let you know how it goes. The Electromotive systems are nice, but not so easy to program from what I've heard. That's what I like about the Wolf, its pretty darn easy to get up and running. We're shooting for 300HP at the wheels (T04E/T3, stock L28ET long block).

Pete

Pete,

Yo! Yes the Stillen inlet is the one pictured.

Come on Pete... Steve had to show you how to turn off the DSC in your Mini Cooper at the track he sure knows what an L28 is! :) <kidding> He is a great guy and has been a great help to me. He shared some specs on the supercharger rpm on the 350z and how much boost it was making with different pulley sizes and talked about the project with me a few times. I think he "digs" it :)

Now... I've either got to find a 350Z throttlebody or do some more mods to fit on a different one...

Check this out... Take a WILD guess what a 350Z throttlebody costs new from Courtesy?

My cost was $664.00!!! Retail is over $900 bucks! WHAT a RIP!

Drive by wire.... what a joke... I suppose in 10 years when that item fails we'll have quite a few unhappy 350z owners! GEEZ!!! I only wanted the throttlebody and didn't need the electronics but it only comes as a package. I need to use a different TPS with the TEC2.

Also, the TEC2 is a breeze to tune when you have the wizard Rick Bowers at the keyboard <grin> He da man!

Cody 82 ZXT wrote:

how close is that crank pully going to be to the radiator

The pulley looks to be in the stock location, don't see a problem with it hitting the radiator. Notice the timing chain and cover are not installed. The belt driving the supercharger on the other hand and the supercharger itself looks like they may get close to the radiator shroud. That's easily fixed with an electric fan and some work with a sawzall!

I guess I should have been more specific.

Supercharger belt and crank pully assembly..

Is that better?

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

In case you're wondering, I was holding my destroyed clutch and old broken crank to show Ken what he has to look forward after he drops the clutch at 6000 rpm on slicks with all that Supercharger TORQUE!!

The whole project is extremely ZWEEETT !!!

I can't wait to get a ride!

Ken is a great guy! I got to meet Rick Bowers as well and he is just an outstanding fella as Ken.

Anyone who goes to Florida needs to stop by and see these Zuper Cool Z Dudes!!

Later,Norm

Cody 82 ZXT

Hey...

The pulley I'm using has 2 standard type V Belts and the Serpentine pulley (6 rib) adds another inch in front.

Most likely your 280zxt has 3 V Belt pulleys... but either way you would need to determine if adding an inch in front would cause you a clearance problem in a 280zx... I honestly think it would be ok.

Hope that helps

Ken

I don't know what you will break, but I would bet there will be a list of items in the drivetrain you will strain at a minimum.

Definately should be a big increase in torque. I just started a conversion to a supercharger gotta love what they can provide.

When is your target to 'launch' her?

Jack46

The target to "launch it" is coming up soon!

The things left to finish are:

1. Make the tensioner plate

2. Finish the assembly of the motor (I have to pull the head off one last time since I've decided to use a different head gasket

3. Install the throttle cable

4. Find a throttlebody

5. Get the crank trigger wheel mounted to my crank pulley (and balanced)

6. Install the Tec2

7. Install the motor

8. Tune it

9. Then as Norm would say... "Drive it like I hate it"! <grin>

None of those things listed will take very long so I hope I'm going to be done very soon. I try to spend 2 hours per day on it so it has been moving along steadily lately.

Ken

Guest 2slo4u

What are the advantages of using a supercharger besides lack of "turbo" lag? Do they last as long as turbo's? I rarely notice superchargers on production vehicles that come stock besides the ford lightning and a couple of pontiac's, which is one reason I wonder. :?:

I guess it really wouldn't matter though if someone has extra money to spend on their toys.

Also do you think the distance of the supercharger pulley to where it is mounted on that intake will cause issues with loosening manifold bolts? If so, are you going to make a bracket , close to the pulley, to the engine to stabilize it? :idea:

81zxturborusty but running hopefully recieving 300zxmods soon

It was great to meet the famous "12SSUD" - A drag racer extraordinaire and a cool guy.

Even though I'm a confirmed turbo type, some characteristics of a supercharger still fascinate me - Low end torque and simplicity foremost among them. We'll investigate these as this project progresses. Ken's philosophy: "Why be normal?"

Oh yeah, As I told Norm, Ken may be a little too easily impressed with my abilities. :D

Ken,

What will be the CR of the motor? What gasket are you using? Also, for a crank trigger signal, are you going to use the 83' turbo distributor as you did with the previous ECU?

Sounds like for the throttle body you just need to hit the junkyard with the bolt spacing, and look for one that is close. The other option is to machine and adapter.

Pete

KJONES

LOOKS LIKE A SWEET SET UP!!!!!

ON THE THROTTLE BODY SET UP WITH A 350Z THROTTLE BODY----

I WORK FOR A NISSAN DEALER IN TX----CHECKED ON THAT THROTTLE BODY

I SHOW A LIST OF $872.23 A LITTLE LESS THAN COURTESY PRICE

MY EMPLOYEE COST IS BOUT $575.00 + TAX

BUT CHECKED ON AVAILIBILTY AND IS ON BACK ORDER FROM NISSAN

TYPICAL NISAAN-----ALWAYS ON BACK ORDER

U ARE CORRECT IT IS A ASSEMBLY WITH ALL THE SENSORS

HOPE ALL GOES WELL WITH YOUR PROJECT

LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you are going to break anything actually... unless you drive like Norm! :D

Not sure where the misconception comes from that superchargers create all this torque... yes more than the same NA engine, but if you want torque, take a look at a turbo dyno sheet sometime. A supercharger might have more torque below ~3000rpm, but low RPM torque isn't what will break stuff, as it will often only be ~75% of the maximum torque the drivetrain will see. Pound for pound a turbo is going to create more torque than a supercharger. (if all else is equal of course)

There are enough high torque turbo setups running around here on stock drivetrain components, that i think you can get a significant baseline from those people of what the weak link is. Many of those people aren't breaking anything.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, the execution, and I can't wait to hear testimonial on how it runs. I just think that some of you aren't entirely grasping how a supercharger effects engine output.

Pete/All,

A lot of people have asked the same questions regarding specs...

Here's some info:

The specs are .040 over custom forged pistons made by Ross Racing Pistons

LD28 crank

240Z rods (magnafluxed and race prep)

3.0 liter stroker at 8.5:1 compression

1mm Headgasket (Probably going to use one from Arizona Z Car)

Custom (one of a kind) cam made to maximize the supercharger by Schneider

1 3/4" Nismo Headers (Ceramic coated by a great guy in Orlando)

Notice the stock Datsun engine color <grin>

P90 head with a minor port and polish

Will have an Electric Water pump by CSR Performance Products

MP62 Magnuson Supercharger which will make 10-12 pounds of boost (hopefully)

The intake is a HEAVILY modified Clifford Manifold that was originally made for a 4 barrel carb, drilled for port fuel injection.

Should make good HP with a ton of low end grunt if all goes well

Engine Management will be an Electromotive Tec2 with a 60-2 trigger wheel mounted on the crank pulley

42lb Ford O-ring style injectors with a custom fuel rail

And the list goes on....

Regards

Ken

That sounds like a very cool setup, and should perform well. My turbo setup produces major torque, and pretty low - my dyno graph got lost with the new forum setup - but the torque rises sharply to the peak, and tapers off gradually making a flat hp curve to redline. The numbers in my sig are corrected numbers taken at 5500' altitude, so they may be a bit high, but there's no lack of torque judging by the seat dyno. And aside from a custom driveshaft, my drivetrain is stock. No broken parts yet....maybe when I start hitting 60' times lower than 1.9 my halfshafts will break joints.