HybridZ

Half-assed to first class... i hope, whatcha think?

Guest V8Z-TEK

Guest V8Z-TEK

Well, I picked up a set of california Z rear fender flares and promptly glassed them to the car. I mainly did this to obviously gain a couple inches in the tire, but to cover up some serious non-structural rust. The problem is these fenders leave a pair of gaping holes in the rear of the car, what's a guy gonna do? Well, here is a current pic and my computerized revison. Any ideas on how i could do this? Ive heard that really thin plywood that is cut and riveted into place is a great jig for custom fiberglass panels. Im at a loss here but i am determined and it WILL be done!! Thanks guys! Note: the little saying on the new rear "facia" is "got rice?" its gonna be there too!!!!

well, the pic used to be there!! Here's the link: http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=829254

normal_californiaz.jpg

I've never really noticed what people do with those huge holes on the sides, but this guy stuck a bumper on to cover it up.

I always thought that was a sweet kit (only seen 2 in person, both very cool looking race cars), but it seems to me you'd want the front fender vented and the rear not, and the kit looks to be built the other way around...

I had a 240Z back in the 80's that had that complete kit +the whaletale, looked sharp. The only cars I saw completed had metal mesh in the cavity... looked ok, but I would like to see it a little more finished. Also, the airdam that came with mine (HUGE) had break vent intakes, and I have seen the Fender vented thru the side with three thin oval vents, looked very sharp, but I have no idea how effective it was. The owner swore it made a huge difference, but he was running stock breaks, so..... lol, who knows.

I do know that before I switched to SBC and a turbo350 tranny, the car was FAR better mannered at 130+mpg than my 280Z felt with a good suspension. Unfortunately, I had a neighor back into that car twice in 3 months, which is why I developed some experience with glassing.... cheapest repair estimate I found was over $1000....

I have the same fenders and am going to use the vette rear end as well. I havent got the rear end yet, but i can imagine why they are there, if you see all the air ducts in the front, it does make sense why they left that part open so it doesnt cause as much drag. I am hooping the vette end cover up most though, the rest i think I will just put a grill in. Just by chance what size tire/rim combo are you useing, if you don't mind some off-topic talk?

Guest V8Z-TEK

Wow, i really like that smoothed out look, DaleMX! The thing is that i have no idea how to go about making that rear "roll pan" (trucks) Ive heard that very thin and felxible plywood can be a structural basis for fiberglass work. Has anyone done this? Plus, how well would doge charger lights fit in there. If it were just a little "off", i think i would look really wierd. Anyway, this is a bare-bones bracket drag-racing car, super custom body work in not really needed, but hey, if i get really radical i might have to retire the 12 sec Z to street duty, and spray it in black primer!!! As for the cat, i havent caught it snoopin around the car too much, if it decided to crawl into the interior, oh man, that will the last thing it does.

I havent found any wheels or tires, but i do have a random mag-wheel with some cheater slick mounted up, it seem to be a good size/backspace, a 15x10 inch wheel on approx. 285-295 rubber, but they are 5 lug, boo hoo!

I havent done anything to the headlights, thats the Cali Z front fenders, i just have to install the passenger side. For anyone that wants a set of these Cali Z rear fender-flares, i have an extra pair (kinda rough, but hey, its fiberglass) along with just a driver side front fender (this one is in REAL good shape), so just missin one front, and someone could score a Cali Z set for cheap!

A side note, i got my full set only with that other partial set for.......175 bucks!!! So im not gonna lose much money on a dirt cheap sale!

I definatly like the look of the new lights in the rear. A new roll pan would not be necessary. I would stretcha stock bumper with out the sides and then a flat sheet of steel would cover the original tail light aread. It needs a custom bumper or something to break it up. Also would need to be wider in the front I think in order to not look like the car is a triangle shape i.e. huge rear to skinny front.