HybridZ

Baddest Z

I am having a lot of Ideas for putting my car back together, I keep thinking just put it back together the way it was, but with 600hp handling isnt even a concern anymore so I think **** I might as well have it tubbed, that brings me to the ideas I have for it, I would like a 4 link rear end with 345 drag radials tucked underneath, a 2 speed powerglide, turn the boost up and run some nos for about 800hp, just make it the nastiest fat tired 8 second pizza cutter's n' parachutes all black, somthing you could drive on the street, maybe even with 20x10 tucked in and 19's in the front, I want my car to look like this but black without the monster motor zcarbigwheelsblown.jpg

Darius, if you want to build such a radical Z I'd recommend getting a new car and starting from scratch!

The entire Z community is enthralled with your car - basically you are our super hero. The reason I personally love your car is because it's not that extreme. You've got those gorgeous, wide custom wheels and that awesome suspension and the amazing drivetrain with the LSD and the custom brakes everywhere, all tucked under stock bodywork - why would you want to hack up all that beautiful work to cram in an ugly 4 link? Why divide your speeds by three?

Basically you have the baddest STREET Z in the world. you'd be CRAZY to destroy it in the process of making the baddest RACE Z!

my two cents ;)

mr darius-i checked out your website -its very good but since i am cheap and only have a dail-up modem i will wait and watch vidoes at work on compant t1 line.the video of your z racing the r1 stopped the shop at the ford dealer where i work.since i am a gear head with a dirt bike i will have to get the new crusty video.going dirt bike riding in san felipe in march to prerun the 250 course and watch the race.if you want to go for a ride on a 100+ mph 18' tunnel bottem outboard boat send email.

Why not ask a strut expert if he can make 2 complete custom struts that moves the shock/spring 3 inches inside for 315 dragradials but keeps the stubaxles (maybe corvette stubs) at the same position. That way you have the possibility to use bigger stubs and bearings but keep your rearend setup. A good welder could move your innerfenders so it looks stock. Or maybe a custom bearing housing with bolt on struts like many new cars uses.

with that kind of power, i wouldnt hesitate to put a solid axle in your car. yeah, your car is beautiful, but it can be done so that your car is still streetable and has the look that everyone will still appreciate. i agree that your car is an inspiration for a lot of us, but at the same time, your goals can be met and you would definitely benefit from having more tire underneath. i probably wouldnt go the 4-link route myself. there just isnt really enough room under there without doing a lot of surgery behind the seats. i'm about to cut the spare tire well out of my car to add a fuel cell. if i decide to do the 12 bolt route down the road, i dont want to have to do too much more hacking inside my car.

that's why i like how mikekz put his 12 bolt in: mikekz 12 bolt setup he's got a really cool installation that didnt require too much hacking of his interior. for the tubs, he just cut the inner rear tire wells, moved them in about 4+inches and filled in the gaps. it's a great job and he's running 15x10's. you could do the same and run your 20x10's on the street and 15x10's with slicks at the track. i've had thoughts of doing similar as i want to run 17 or 18 x 10's on the street and have the backup 15's with slicks for the track.

i've got some pics of his car in the process. i can email them to you if you want.

ya I know, I have full road race suspension, coilovers camberplates, everything!! It seems more logical to just get a beater z thats stripped and tub it and make it a drag car with stock suspension in front, ok I just keep dreaming about a fast z, I got a buddy with a mustang with a t-100 turbo and a intercooler bigger than my radiator, supposed to be 12-1300hp and run 8's, I was thinking about smokin his ass with my Z!! But man I could probably buy a 8 second car for cheaper than it would be to hack up my Z, so maybe I will just keep putting it back together the way it is, damm you guys keep talking me out of my crazy ideas to hacking up my car nono.gif

Guest Z-rific

You're Z is bad-a$$, but there are some purpose build drag Z's with blown motors running amaZing times.

What makes yours great is it is fairly stock looking. I think if you want to 1/4 mile it, get another 240, strip it, tub it, roll cage it, drop narrowed Ford in back, blown or supercharged big block, fiberglass fenders/hood, and run some 7's.

(Oh, wheelie bars too)

Then you'll have 2 amazing Z's.

Then comes a pure roadracer Z!

Guest Z-rific

Darius,

There was a guy a few months ago who put a thread in one of the lower boards (can't remember which) looking for his old red drag Z car. It was really sweet. If somebody remembers or can find that thread (I just tried for a few minutes) you can see one example of a tubbed/narrowed drag Z.

Guest JAMIE T

If you want it to hook(like a real drag car), then put a solid axle under it. I have knocked this idea around for awhile. Narrow a 12 bolt or 9" to just under the factory width. Fill it with the heavy duty stuff required to last under 600hp. Install it with a 4 link and coil overs. I promise you will set that thing on its bumper with a 10" slick. Get some nice wheels(17"-18") to drive on the street, of course with some drag radials. I have personally seen Mustangs with drag radials and WAY more power than you are talking about run VERY deep 9's on Drag radials. The beauty of our short wheel base and a set-back engine is killer wheel stands with solid axles. You may want to go with a 'glide and a trans brake, but I wouldn't. I would do the solid rear axle if you keep it in the stock wheel wells(small tubs are fine) and keep the tires 10"s wide. Just my 2 cents

Guest Night_rider_383

I say the same keep your car as is, and get another one to pro street.. I aint read all the post so i'm not sure if it's been said yet or not, but here goes

For your idea's I think the car would rip in half after a run good launchs. Get a full frame chassis from one of the many good chassis shops like C.A. chassis works, S&W race cars, or the likes..

Find a pretty good 240 z body. No worrys of checking for floor pan or frame rail rust. Cut the floor pans and rails out, gut the whole car. Fit the body onto the custom full frame using out riggers, put in a cut down solid rear like a chevy 12 bolt, ford 9'' or dana 60, coil overs, 4 link, etc.

Tub out the car body/wheel wells to fit the big meats. Then on front suspension do one of these, mod, and fab to re install the 240 suspension, or go with the pinto or mustang II front suspension. Then do the tin work on the floor pans, being sure to weld solid bar stock under where the seat(s) bolt.

Then put in your full 14 point cage, maybe build a fiberglass copy of the 240 dash or just make a sheet metal dash. Wire up the car, get your big bad blown engine mounted in useing motor plates.

Now you really have a bad ass car that weighs alot less than the pro streeted stock 240 type body/chassis. The car is stiffer, safer, andI bet will be much faster.. If you really think about it the way I listed above might even be easier too

Night Rider has the right idea. If you want to go drag racing get a old body and do a tube chassis. I have been the back half Z deal and tube chassis Z deal and the diffrence is day and night. If you want to go fast safe and easy go tube chassis. 8.46 with a sbc on gas no nitrous and the engine is built with off the sheft parts.

...Jon

Originally posted by nullbound:

that's why i like how mikekz put his 12 bolt in: mikekz 12 bolt setup he's got a really cool installation that didnt require too much hacking of his interior. for the tubs, he just cut the inner rear tire wells, moved them in about 4+inches and filled in the gaps. it's a great job and he's running 15x10's. you could do the same and run your 20x10's on the street and 15x10's with slicks at the track. i've had thoughts of doing similar as i want to run 17 or 18 x 10's on the street and have the backup 15's with slicks for the track.

Shortened 12 bolt Chevy, with 295-50-15 on 10 X 15" wheels that fit under the stock fenders. People say it has a Pro-Street look.

fced2127.jpg

I did not buy a BEAUTIFUL Z about 10 years ago because it was pro-streeted. Same color as your car Darius. It had Weld Suplerlites and a built 406. He was asking $6500 which was more than fair for such a clean car, just the 9" was the killer. Nobody else bought it either and not long after he sold the shell minus the motor for pennies on the dollar and let the motor go by itself. Something to consider... As I had noted in the past, there were 2 guys running in the 9's with the Nissan rear suspension and solid U-joints. Run 26" slicks, 280 stubs and Moroso joints and leave the line at a REASONABLE power level... Actually, you have CV's already with the R230, right? Just upgrade the stubs, bolt on the slicks and go racing! A little bit of tire spin can make a car leave harder than none, and is definitely easier on the hard parts assuming no wheelhop.