HybridZ

Calling all T-56ers

Guest racerzs

Guest racerzs

Hello Everyone,

Has been some time since I have posted here. I am looking for some input from some seasoned T-56 users. I am hoping to get an idea of what problems that anyone has had and, the solutions if any. Not in the installation process but in the drivability afterwards. I have just installed a 95 unit in stock configuration behind our 502 CI Z. So far I have not really leaned on it much except to try to power shift on the mat from 1st to 2nd with no success.( thank you rev limiter!) I have read that one draw back to these is high rpm shifting. Has any one upgraded to any after market synchronizer assemblies, and if so with what kind of results. I have talked to G-Force racing transmissions about their gears, shafts and synchros, their Horse power limits and such. It all sounds great except that price deal. Has any one used their products? I really like having the overdrives. There is something to be said about running along with the traffic at a reasonable rpm and having one more gear left to use if I choose. However I am a little gun-shy about side stepping the clutch right now. I wanted to test this deal out a little before I spent the money the aftermarket pieces. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brad Barkley http://www.ratsun.com

The T56 is a stout unit. I had one backing my 383 stroker. As long as you aren't launching on slicks, you should be fine with it. My only big problem was due to the cam selection or the possible internal engine failure that was looming. I could not use 6th gear unless I was pulling 1800RPM or more... Car would lug and surge otherwise.

I'll likely end up with a G-Force trans in my new Zcar project, and their stuff is pricey, but worth it. 8) In this particular case, you get what you pay for! :D

Mike :wink:

I've got the T56 behind my LS1 with 3.70:1 differential gearing. I have no problem with 6th down to about 1200 RPM on level ground. That's about 45 MPH. It obviously won't accellerate or climb much of a hill at that point. Above 1500 rpm (60) it seems to do fine in 6th.

Conversely, first gear is a real rush and is begging for more in the way of traction. I do not dump the clutch off the line as all I would do is a drifting exhibition. Probably not a good idea on a 1/4 track. Other than th e initial launch, first gear is useful and provides some fantastic accelleration. Be sure to have the rev limiter though as the shift point arrives VERY quickly and it's hard to be ready for it when you're concentrating on traction control.

Yup, In the Vette I can run the LS1 down low, less than 1000 RPMS lugging along just fine in 6th gear. I'll be interested in seeing how the 383 in the Z does with the new G-force though... The T56 is HEAVY!!!!

Mike :D

I have been using a stock T56 behind the V12. The transmission is the least of my worries. I have shifted hard at high RPMs with out problems. The motor runs at 2000 RPM at highway speed with a 4:11 rear. Keep in mind I run with a lightened fly wheel and street tires.

To be fair I have seen the Ratsun videos. The way the car launches puts your in a world that would stress even this transmission. But it is probably your best bet for a six speed.

The T56 is a stout unit. I had one backing my 383 stroker. As long as you aren't launching on slicks, you should be fine with it.

I couldn't have said it better but you guys need to take a peek at his website. That car has run a best of 9.22 and must be pushing upwards of 800 hp. The stock unit will never hold up to that kind of abuse and as you've already discovered it won't shift reving that hard either. I think a G-Force unit is probably your best bet.

I love this shot BTW. :D

227_2729_jpg.jpg

Guest racerzs

Thanks guys, G-force is probably the direction I should head. I have toned the car down from last year. Somewhat. I dropped the compression to 10:1 to run pump gas but, I am sure it will still have a touch of torque left. Low gear ratio was 1.76 with the power glide, so the 2.66 will be a little more aggressive on the bottom end. I don’t know if it will see slicks again for some time but the street tires we use are quite sticky. My goal is to still run a 9.80 or so on street tires, full exhaust, and drive to the track as well back home. I have a spare tranny apart on my bench ready to go back together. I just need to bite the bullet I guess and get the parts coming. I was hoping to talk to some one that had used or seen there pieces to kinda give me a warm fuzzy feeling about spending that kind of money. I'm currently fitting a larger fuel tank for more range but, once I get it back down on the ground I am going to experiment with running it up against a rev limiter around 55-5800 to see if I can shift it there instead of around 68-7000 were I had tried it before. I have heard some of the bike guys momentarily interrupting the ignition to shift easier. Some of my future posts may be of experience in just what will break ':roll:' That might "G-Force" me into ordering some parts... Huh?

I pulled my T56 after around 150 or so drag launches on N20.The front input shaft bearing was very loose and 2nd gear had begun to grind.When the tranny was dissasembled by the rebuilder damage was found on 2,3rd gears.He had a Viper internal upgrade kit for my T56(out of a 98 Camero) and replaced the front input and main shafts with stronger one`s and all syncro`s with Viper style synrco`s with steel shift forks and carbon fiber blocking rings.I was told that this rebuild should handle 600rwh.He had mentioned the parts supplier ???,if you want I will ask again.