HybridZ

LT5 into a Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Has any one tried to put a LT5 into a Z? Because I found a wrecked ZR1 that is being parted out and I figured it would make a interesting car. What do you guys think it would take to make it work??

Guest Anonymous

Well I was thinking of keeping it stock for awhile. It would make a interesting Z. Because I bought a rolling shell of a Z. So I want to find a engine and transmission to put in. I figured use the ZR1 engine, transmission, and rear end.

They probably dont cost too much nowdays, I remember seeing them as low as 15k but I'm sure they are less than that by now.

The added weight of DOHC though, the added size, and the lack of power, as well as the expense, just makes it seem like the only reason to do it is wow factor but not for any practicality (not that having 405 HP is practical).

I know years ago Tim Allen had a nice LT5 in an Impy, but thats a guy with alot of money, and it was years ago. If I really had that kind of dough I'd go LS6, or maybe even something nicer, but I'm a Chevy guy for the most part and the stuff is 'cheap' to work with compared to a BMW engine or etc.

Guest Anonymous

Well the LT5 I found they want 8,500 for it. With the Suspension and Transmission the total comes to 13,200 plus what ever tax is. So I think it is a better deal to go with a used engine instead of a crate engine because I would still have to source the computer and what ever else I may need to put the LT5 into my 240Z

Guest Anonymous

Yeah it is a fairly good deal. Then get the frame like VETTETEK did from Morrison. So there goes about another 5,000 or so into the frame. Then the aluminum or steel needed to do the floors on the car. But me personally I think it would be a fun project to do. It would be fun to run against some Viper owners I think.Just to see the look on there faces when they get beat bye a Z would be all the satisfaction I would need.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I am a local boy. Central Washington near the Gorge Ampitheater. This thing maybe be a couple of years down the road though. Just because I want to see if the prices go down some more. I known I could build one heck of a V8 drivetrain that would beat the LT5. I just like the holy sh*t factor it would bring when you pop the hood.

I am not a bowtie guy so my question is. Is the lt-5 the motor that chev had lotus design for them to put into the vette in the early 90's?

My car looks like it could be a while to get it finished too, so when I get it going maybe I could show you how someone on the other side of the pass does it with a ford. tongue.gif

Don

Guest Anonymous

Yeah the LT5 is the engine Chevrolet Commissioned Lotus to build. Well I want to run against my dads bosses Mustang Cobra. I don't care what type of car it is as long as it is fast and not a Honda. That is all that matters to me.