HybridZ

Greeting, & a question about the 260z (turbo) in general

Guest Skiddy

Guest Skiddy

Hello hello salud from houston texas.

I have oft read through various topics on your fantabulous website and been infatuated with the old school Z cars since i first saw them. I am also mildly obsessed with drifting, as I had seen the Anime "Initial D" many years ago and recently witnessed a Formula D competition at the Reliant Park. It was killer.

So i thought, why not get something that is able to wiggle its tail and still look like a classic machine and surpirse the f*** out of the dude in the new vette at the stop light next to you. Now, I'm not so sure if the Z car is a very good drift car, but I've *heard* about it done before and seen the Darius Z video where he does donuts like a madman. I know donuts and drifting are too different things, and that was a blown lt-1 i believe residing in the engine bay...but I digress.

Really I'm looking for a "budget" speedster. I was thinking, 240sx with silvia conversion was the way to go at first, but there are just no decent coupes anywhere close to my 'hood, and I really don't like the fastback. Then I reckoned, what about an rx-??? same situation, and I'm not going to even pretend that i know enough about the wankel to own one and especially try to drive it hard. Plus any of em with a new engine and turbo is rather pricey. Or already sold. So i go back to my beloved Z. And as I have oft read at this wonderful forum the 240z is ideal for conversion/forced induction due to its light weight etc. But alas, there are none to be found anywhere in Texas. however, i did spot a very nice 260z for a fair price, if everything checks out. I realize the cost of turbocharging or a v8 conversion would easily double the price of the car or more, but I am going to college this fall and have a full ride so theres lots of money left over, and I feel like its time to upgrade from my 94 ranger :(. now dont get me wrong! its a nice truck but I yearn for somethign that can hustle. My mother drives a great '97 m3, one of the best balanced cars ever made and I have a lot of experience tearing that beast up at night, and all I've ever driven and learned on was manual. curse the AT. so I *think* I could handle a Z with a little oomph.

SO really after my longwinded introduction I am curious as to whether the 260z is a worthwile platform to build up around, or to wait out for the almighty 240. I suppose a 280 would be relatively easy to find, but the 260 im eyeing already has some goodies in it thats hard to pass up. I just have to make sure it has A/C first. heh. I appreciate in advance any advice, I'm sorry if this is redundant and been answered before, I did use the search option but kinda gave up, its almsot 7 in the morning and I cant sleep but I'm kinda out of it too, my brother is coming back from Japan in 2 days so I need to show him up with a pimp ride. heheh. hard to impress someone whos been peepin skylines and 2002 Rx-7s and s15s and STis etc etc for the past year but thats not really important. I just kinda wanted to introduce myself too after creepin the forums for so long and reading fellow car freaks writings. thanks yall.

I tend to prefer the 260 over the 240 because its easier to find one, and they are some what cheaper to buy.

Also if you get the "early" 260, like MINE, it is almost the exact same car as the 73 240z, with the exceptions of a few details.

The main thing I prefer in the 260 over the 240, is the factory installed air con, and the intermitting wipers, and I like the dash much better also.

These are just my reasons, so no need for anyone to pick a fight over my preferences

... :D

TURBO MOTOR FOR SALE>click<

J. are you my long lost twin brother, separated from me at birth?

Or perhaps my REAL younger brother?

As those are my exact reasons for preferring a 260 over a 240.

My supposedly "real" younger brother "saves money" buy changing his own oil (adds a quart when low) and doing his own brakes (waits till he hears metal, replaces rotor and pads) and actually called me to wonder why his Civic (!!!) lunched it's THIRD engine whilst going 110 down the Lodge Freeway in Detroit! (I think it was the last guy that worked on it---he didn't tell me I needed oil. 'what was he doing?' Brakes...) Yeah, you can't go 110 with only a quart of oil in it, Nick...

Are you SURE you aren't my REAL brother. Please tell me the nontechnically inclined bro isn't really my spawnmate... :lol:

Most of the reasons that the 260Z is "less desireable" have to do with the performance of the powertrain in stock form, since it had the very early emmsions control stuff on it. If you are planning on a modified powertrain anyway, then none of that stuff is of any consequence. If you can find a nice example, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 260Z.

"Information is not knowledge

Knowledge is not wisdom

Wisdom is not truth "

another: "meanwhile, mary was backstage..."

Muahahaha!

Yes, if you plan on modding it, what difference is ther but A/C that actually WORKS! :D

Guest ON3GO

hey man, im in the houston area and i have a few Z's.

and im around atleast 2 old Z's atleast everyday.

PM and we can hook up, ill show ya the in's and outs of Z's and maybe i can help ya and come look at the 260Z with ya.

Z's arent great for drifting at all but it can be done.

240Z, 260Z, and 280Z are all the same in my eyes, yes one might be lighter then the other, but then again one is stiffer then the other.

all the same car in my book.

Mike

Buying a 260z in CA is not desirable because of the smog laws when doing a motor swap. '1973 is the cutoff year am I correct? I wonder if you bought a 260z that was made in late 1973 if you would be ok.

Right at this point in time the rolling 29 year rolling exemption is still in effect, thus in 2005 (just around the corner :!: ), everthing 76 and older is exempt

Guest znow white

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SAYING all the good shells are in texas!

shit like that piss's me off when ppl from cali or arizona/texas complain about not finding any zcars! buddy try living up north a little east

sorry dont mean to be rude i had to say that because I have been looking for a good shell sooo long! and i get soo many ppl from dallas trying to sell to me but too far DIRT CHEAP