HybridZ

SR20DET SWAP in a 280?

Guest zunitzx

is it possible to put a sr20det in a 1983 280zx nonturbo

Dropping an SR in a 280zx isn't going to be much different than putting one in a 240. Just depends on your level of technical/mechanical/fabrication proficiency and how deep your pockets are! :D

• 5 weeks later...

They seem pretty pricey, unforunately. I talked to XAT Racing down in the same area (Tampa) and their prices seemed a little more reasonable. Of course, I haven't compared the prices as of late (this was months ago). I'm getting the engine bay painted this week. After such time, I will actually be ready for the swap (I should have sufficient funds). I don't know who will do the work for me, we shall see.

I know that I am and old and all. I can follow the Chevy and ford motor, TPI, LT1, LS1, EFI. But all of the acronym on the Japanese motors I cannot follow. I have no idea of what motor they are talking about in this post. I just wish that when some one list’s a post they would say out of a year make and model, so some of us “old farts†could figure out what is going on.

SR 20 DE (T) - SR -series of the motor, 4 cylinder. 20 - 2.0 liter, DE - dual overhead cam, electronic fuel injection. T - turbo.

commonly found in the japanese nissan silvia s13, s14, s15 (240sx in states) and nissan sunny/pulsar (not available in states, but a very cool awd hatchback in japan)

other motors:

RB26DETT - rb 6 cyl series motor, 2.6 liter, dohc, efi, twin turbo. found in skyline gt-r

rb20det - 6 cyl, 2 liter, dohc, turbo

rb25det, 2.5 liter turbo

ca18det - predecessor to the sr20det, found in previous models of silvia known as the 180sx. 1.8l 4cyl turbo

the motors i listed above do not come in any of the US bound vehicles, but they can be purchased through importers from japan that sell them locally stateside