HybridZ

Not expecting miracles but... any cheap/easy brake upgrades?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Well... I used to think my '72 240 had okay brakes... I mean, they work well enough, even the few times I've had to come to a stop in a hurry... they've worked great.

But since then a few things have opened my eyes. #1 is that though they may work great in a one off emergency situation... that's about all their good for... after one hard stop they fade VERY noticeably and become damn near useless. #2 is the car I just bought, a '91 Nissan Sentra SE-R... this car has showed me just how soft, mushy and sloppy my Z's breaks really are... now the thing just scares me.

Now... I know the common upgrades are to upgrade to bigger breaks in front, and discs in the back, but to be honest neither of these things is anywhere near within reach for me financially or time-wise right now.... so I wanted to ask, are there any other cheaper, easier ways I can at least improve them even a little bit? Anything... a stiffer pedal, more resistant to fade... anything.

I mean... can I simply swap to a different brake master cylinder? Better brake pads? Better or different brake fluid? Any little improvement would be great... you guys have any suggestions?

make sure your brakes are well bled, new fluid. You can go to napa, and pick up a pair of loaded rebuilt toyota calipers (non-vented rotor) for ~100 bucks. spend $7 on a brake line bending tool, and $6 on 2x 6" lines with fittings, and whatever the toyota pads cost. voila

Guest JAMIE T

John C feels strongly that the OE brakes are perfectly acceptable for MOST applications. Just go through them and freshen up any worn parts. Good fluid, quality pads/shoes, quality soft lines, etc...

I'd personally start with the soft lines, fluid, and pads/shoes.

If your brakes feel mushy, then that means you need to fix what you have, not upgrade. You may need new brake lines, since that is usually what swells and flexes with pressure.

Consider getting some stainless steel brake lines. That will have the added benefit of forcing you to change out the brake fluid. Be forewarned, SS lines will make your brake pedal feel like you are stepping on a brick. It will be solid.

I would also check your vacuum booster. Make sure there are no leaks and that it is providing the proper assist.

A bigger master cylinder (usually larger diameter) will increase the amount pedal effort needed to stop. But on my 240 that made a positive difference in braking. A bigger MC will provide a larger volume of fluid before bottoming out. You should upgrade the MC if you go to larger calipers.

Bigger calipers are nice, but they are not going to help with a mushy pedal. They will only help (arguably) to delay the onset of fade from overheating the brake parts. Not something your should see on the street (if the rest of the system is in good shape). Many feel a vented rotor or brake ducting will do a better job then the Toyo 4x4 calipers with a solid rotor.

Beyond all that there have been several good suggestions on brake pads in the archives. But that won't do you any good if the rest of your system needs rebuilding.

I figure I'll trow in my $.02 here.. My 280z has all stock braking, and when I got it I figured.. well, its old solid disk, little calipers, no wonder it sucks so much.. Then I got around to bleading out the old fluid and changing the rear flex lines (which looked ready to blow up!) and man... this old thing stops pretty good now! I get a bit of fade every once in a while but it's managable, and seeing as I just drive on the street, it's not a big deal. If I was racing, I can see how it would be quite awefull to deal with after a few laps.. :lol:

I'm still planing to do a vented disk/caliper upgrade in the front, but thats only because I plan to add some more power to the drivetrain and I want to make sure the brakes will keep up their end of the deal (stoping my dumb arse from stupid high speeds now and then :wink: ) .. but for now, the stock system (in proper tune) is working well enough for me.