HybridZ

Sanderson Headers for the LS1 Swap - Fitment Questions

Since I can't seem to make the exhaust manifolds fit I guess I need to buy some headers. John at JCI is going to have some but the guy who makes them is out for 2 months for back surgery. So that leaves custom headers or the Sandersons.

For those of you with the Sanderson headers, I know you had some fitment problems and they had to make adjustments. Since I am on the other side of the country, I want to make sure that if I buy a set of $800 headers they are going to fit and I am not going to be shipping them back and forth across the country to get it right.

What kind of fitment problems did you all have and what did you have to do to fix it?

Does anyone know if Sanderson has corrected the problem and if they are now a bolt on fit??

Mine was the third set Boyd at Sanderson made. When I first got them, they were just tack welded. Installed them on the car and was able to bend to were I wanted them. Then went back to Them to weld up and ceramic coat. The only problem I had with Sanderson is Boyd can to a lagger. Took him a few more weeks than what he said. Nice part is Sanderson is only about 30 to 40 minutes from my shop.

JOEY

So is everyone using the Sanderson Part Number CC1LS1tuck? That is the part number for the Sanderson headers on my car.

Phantom,

John say that he modified the set for your car. Do you know wht he had to do??

The headers went back & forth between John and Sanderson 3-4 times. I thought they went into the car the way Sanderson sent them to him the last time around. Only thing I can remember John may have done was rotate the discharge flange 90° on the drivers side. I don't remember if that was after the last round or one of the preceeding iterations, though.

Anyone have pictures of the Sanderson out of the car? I might be able to identify differences between them and mine if I could see some.

One more thing to remember though is that my headers have 1 1/2" primaries and I think everone is getting either 1 5/8 or 1 3/4" primaries now. That may have changed the configuration enough to cause the problems?

The headers went back & forth between John and Sanderson 3-4 times. I thought they went into the car the way Sanderson sent them to him the last time around. Only thing I can remember John may have done was rotate the discharge flange 90° on the drivers side. I don't remember if that was after the last round or one of the preceeding iterations' date=' though.

Anyone have pictures of the Sanderson out of the car? I might be able to identify differences between them and mine if I could see some.

One more thing to remember though is that my headers have 1 1/2" primaries and I think everone is getting either 1 5/8 or 1 3/4" primaries now. That may have changed the configuration enough to cause the problems?[/quote']

I just got off the phone with Jeremy at Sanderson. He says the larger size primaries does indeed cause fitment problems and that is why they have been making custom headers and cost $700.

They have headers in stock and available that will fit the LS1 Z car swap (1970-1978) in the 1 1/2" primary size. The drivers side is is what they call an "LS1 Rear Exit Dump". The Passenger side is called CC1 LS1 Block Hugger. He say that these are the same headers that were used on Phantoms car. Jeremy didn't know exactly of the changes John made to the headers but said they could be returned if they didn't work. I am fully prepared to modify them if the dump flange needs to be repositioned or other mods.

The Price: $285. plus shipping.

He said he can get them coated for me after I verify they fit for $100

At this price, I don't have to worry about shipping them back and forth several times.

I ordered them today. They will be here in an week.

Finally some good news on this project!

Finally helped out on one! :-D

FWIW - with the 1 1/2" primaries and a choked exhaust that ran the last 5-6' through a SINGLE 2 1/2" exhaust pipe the car still dyno'd at 311 rwhp 326 tq. That's been fixed now but I haven't dyno'd again to see how much it helped. I think Cyrus had true duals and so does Lone Star 1. I think they both dyno'd in the 330 range on hp and 340 on torque.

From what I can tell from the LS1 guys, going to 1 5/8 or 1 3/4" primaries don't do a lot unless its on a long tube header - and then only at the higher rpms. From what I see on my car I have a choice between block huggers and ground clearance - or long tubes and no ground clearance.

Jeremy is cool. I've met him a few times. I dealt with boyd. He does all there custom work. And yes I have the larger tubes. My dump flanges are not welded to the header-they rotate 360.

Glad to here some good news David!!!

JOEY

P.S. I'm working on the 2 week dead line!!! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Posted: Aug 02, 2004 - 02:31 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quik240z wrote:

I just got off the phone with Jeremy at Sanderson. He says the larger size primaries does indeed cause fitment problems and that is why they have been making custom headers and cost $700.

They have headers in stock and available that will fit the LS1 Z car swap (1970-1978) in the 1 1/2" primary size. The drivers side is is what they call an "LS1 Rear Exit Dump". The Passenger side is called CC1 LS1 Block Hugger. He say that these are the same headers that were used on Phantoms car. Jeremy didn't know exactly of the changes John made to the headers but said they could be returned if they didn't work. I am fully prepared to modify them if the dump flange needs to be repositioned or other mods.

At this price, I don't have to worry about shipping them back and forth several times.

David,

Did you get the headers you described, and if so how did they work? I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive header solution, and this sounds pretty good!

-Bart

Posted: Aug 02' date=' 2004 - 02:31 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quik240z wrote:

David,

Did you get the headers you described, and if so how did they work? I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive header solution, and this sounds pretty good!

-Bart

Update,

I called Sanderson yesterday because the headers should have been here buy Tuesday but I gave it til Thursday before calling. I spoke to Jeremy and he said that they only had one side ready to ship and the other side should be done today and he would ship them out on Monday.

Hopefully he will get them out next week as promised.

I will let everyone know how they fit once I get them.

Dont even get me started on the Sanderson thing.......I had to pick them up from South SF and then drive back to Walnut Creek to find out they dont fit so now I had to bring them back and forth like 4 or 5 different times cause he kept screwing up,cutting and re-welding the wrong header... :twak: .He kept screwing up on my headers.His welds sucked too,leaving splatter from his welds.I brought my headers home and cleaned the welds my self.They looked good on joeys and mas280's.I just got frusterated.He should have payed my gas.You know what they say,you want something done right, do it your self...............If your able to do it....I realy want to know if those headers fit.If they dont,I'll give you a good deal on mine and I know they will fit.

The headers went back & forth between John and Sanderson 3-4 times. I thought they went into the car the way Sanderson sent them to him the last time around. Only thing I can remember John may have done was rotate the discharge flange 90° on the drivers side. I don't remember if that was after the last round or one of the preceeding iterations' date=' though.

One more thing to remember though is that my headers have 1 1/2" primaries and I think everone is getting either 1 5/8 or 1 3/4" primaries now. That may have changed the configuration enough to cause the problems?[/quote']

• 2 weeks later...

Well it took 3 weeks but the Sanderson Headers finally arrived today.

It was worth the wait.

I did an initial test fit and the passenger side bolts right up. The clearance is very tight next to the starter but it clears and it will work. The drivers side will work with less mods then I thought. The collector flange is hitting against the JCI motor mount at the very back top corner of the motor mount. I didn't have any time now to work on it but I know I can grind off a small amount of metal from the corner of the motor mount (1/4"-3/8") and I will have all the clearance I need. I will not have modify the headers and to send them back to be rewelded so this is great news. (if you use mounts like MAS280 made this will not be an issue and these will bolt up no problems)

I am going to contact Jeremy at Sanderson and see if he will have a set coated for me and I will exchange these once the other set is done.

So for all of you out there that want to do the swap and can live with

1 1/2" primary tube headers this will save you alot of money. At $285 uncoated or $385 coated vs. $700 uncoated or $860 coated for the 1 3/4" custom made ones here is your answer.

I will take some pics ASAP and get them posted so you can see them.

Well it took 3 weeks but the Sanderson Headers finally arrived today.

It was worth the wait.

I did an initial test fit and the passenger side bolts right up. The clearance is very tight next to the starter but it clears and it will work. The drivers side will work with less mods then I thought. The collector flange is hitting against the JCI motor mount at the very back top corner of the motor mount. I didn't have any time now to work on it but I know I can grind off a small amount of metal from the corner of the motor mount (1/4"-3/8") and I will have all the clearance I need. I will not have modify the headers and to send them back to be rewelded so this is great news. (if you use mounts like MAS280 made this will not be an issue and these will bolt up no problems)

I am going to contact Jeremy at Sanderson and see if he will have a set coated for me and I will exchange these once the other set is done.

So for all of you out there that want to do the swap and can live with

1 1/2" primary tube headers this will save you alot of money. At $285 uncoated or $385 coated vs. $700 uncoated or $860 coated for the 1 3/4" custom made ones here is your answer.

I will take some pics ASAP and get them posted so you can see them.

This is the data I've been waiting for.

Now I can move forward with starting my LS1 conversion.

:D

JTR should have the Sanderson LS1 Z headers in stock very shortly.

I photographed the headers that MAS280 has, and took them to Sanderson a few days ago. What makes MAS280's headers special is that they are 1-3/4". Also, MAS280 did not use the John's Cars mounts, so the header's he has may not work on other LS1 Z cars.

Custom one-off headers are very expensive, however, if Sanderson makes a pattern for the 1-3/4" LS1 Z headers, the price drops substantially. We should have the 1-3/4" LS1 headers in a few weeks. The estimate for the 1-3/4" plain (no coating) will be under $400. The 1-3/4" ceramic coated should be about $500.

However, I would like to add a bit of caution. Sometimes the first few headers require "adjustments" until the bugs are worked out.

We plan on carrying the 1-1/2", 1-5/8", and the 1-3/4" LS1 headers in the next few weeks. Because we are a distributor of Sanderson headers, we can actually sell the headers to the public for less than Sanderson will sell to the public.

With that being said, Sanderson's phone number is 650-583-6617

One more note, if there is enough interest, we are looking at producing LS1 V8 mounts similar to those on MAS280's car. He has photographs of these somewhere on this forum. MAS280 is very talented and very knowledgeable, and he told me it would be ok to copy his design

Mike this is very good news. Apparently I've missed your other 17 posts. Glad to see you read and post here. Also glad to see you're expanding your product line. I just mentioned in another thread that you now have a ZX section. That's great! Next swap I do ("Over the Rainbow" playing in the background) will be an LS1. I like Mike's (mas280) set up better than John's Cars. And the price is better. I hope you persue your efforts with Mike (the other Mike) and produce the mounts. Please keep us up to date.

MikeJTR wrote:

One more note, if there is enough interest, we are looking at producing LS1 V8 mounts similar to those on MAS280's car. He has photographs of these somewhere on this forum. MAS280 is very talented and very knowledgeable, and he told me it would be ok to copy his design

I would definitely be interested. In fact I sent you (JTR) an email a couple of weeks ago asking if you would be making LS1 conversion parts anytime soon. :D

JTR hasn't done much with Z cars in the last 10 years.

Only recently has JTR got back into the Z's. And only in the past week did we decide to make parts for the LS1 swap.

I would like to note that many people on HybridZ have more knowledge and experience with V8 Z's than JTR, and we are learning much from this forum.

The LS1 Z swap is an expensive swap, and we don't know if many people will actually do, or complete the LS1 swap. We cannot offer information regarding the wiring, computer, or fuel system. The point being, the only parts we plan to offer for the LS1 Z V8 swap are mounts, headers, and cooling parts.

One more note, the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 Chevrolet truck engines have the same architecture as the LS1, but they use a cast-iron engine block (which, according to Chevrolet, weighs about 65 lbs more than the LS1). It may be possible to install an LS1 intake manifold on these engines, and install them into a Z car. A 6.0 engine from a Cadillac Escalade has about the same power as an LS1, and costs a lot less.