HybridZ

Will a R32 5speed trany work?

zguy95135

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7915077921&category=33733 The seller claims it will fit a L6 motor "but it is must to do change front end each of original end". What is he talking about? BTW If it does fit, how much stronger would it be compared to a 280zx or 280z 5 speed? (I did use the search)

edit:I also saw this LSD on ebay, what do you think? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7914777754&category=33731

From what I can tell it is a RB20DET gearbox, like the one thats presently being fitted with minor mods to my FJ20DET engine. What I think has to be done, I'm not sure, to fit that box to an L series engine is to use a L series box front case. Which would have to be modded to accomodate the larger front layshaft bearing and the larger diameter selector shafts, at least.

Some of those boxes have a double syncro on second gear, they are a good strong box with good ratios. And the shifter is a lot better. They are similar to the boxes used in later turbo Silvia's and 200SX turbos.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

COMING FROM THE RB WORLD HENCE THE NAME I CAN TELL YOU THAT:

1) THE RB20DET TRANNY IS OF THE SAME GENERATION AS THE KA24E/DE TRANNIES. I ACTUALLY HAVE A HYBRID SITTING ON MY WORK BENCH RIGHT NOW.

2) THE RB25DET TRANNY IS THE SAME GENERATION AS THE Z32 TT TRANNY. IT IS QUITE STRONG AND HAS HELD OVER 600WHP WITH OUT BREAKING A SWEAT.

3) OS GEIKEN MAKES CUSTOM GEARS AND PARTS FOR BOTH TRANNIES.

4) YOU CAN HYBRID A SR20 TRANNY INTO A RB20 CASE OR VISE VERSA SO YOU CAN USE SR20 TRANNY PARTS (WHICH ARE ABUNDANT).

5) I'M BEGINNING TO DO A HYRBID SR20 6 SPEED CONVERSION IN A RB20 CASE.

PROJECTRB240SX

That is great info you got there buddy :D . I will call my buddy and ask him him if the input shafts are same length (and diamater) in t-5 and rb25 tranny. Here is my whole reason for inquiry about interchange. Eventually I will be making above 450whp and while t-5 is "strong" i will need something that will hold the abuse of high rpm launches and solid rear end. One of my options is to go TimZ's way and spend $2500 and get that t5 upgraded internally which is great idea but only thing is i dont have that much $$$ come to think about it i wont have that much money for a LONG LONG time :evil: (school). Now i am just trying to see for other options and no i will not put auto tranny in this Z so thats out of question. On the side note what rear end ration does rb25 like? I know that rb26's like some crazy low gears like 4.88's so i am just wondering about that.

Thanks,

Ivan

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

THE RB20 R32 USE A 4.11 REAR END

THE RB25 R33 IS DEBATEABLE BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW IF THE ONE I HAD WAS SWAPPED OR NOT BUT IT WAS A 4.36

THE GTR'S ARE 4.11 IN THE 5 SPDS AND 3.545 IN THE 6 SPDS AS FAR AS I CAN TELL.

HERES A GOOD WEBSITE THAT USED TO HAVE ALL THE GEAR RATIOS ON IT: http://www.jbskyline.net/

umm...

Z32 turbo mission is a 90A

all GT-S skylines use 71C

71C mission swap to L series block with L bellhousing.

best one nissan made is from an S14 with SR...dual cam KA24 is also very strong.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

THE R33/R34 GTST MODEL SKYLINE USES THE 90A DERIVATIVE WITHOUT THE EXTENDED SHIFTER.

THE KA TRANNY INTERNALS ARE SIMILAR TO THE 71C TRANS INTERNALS...... THEY ARE JUST WIDER GEARS. THE KA AND SR TRANS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME.

• 8 months later...
Guest fatz

im just about to put a rb30det motor into my nissan patrol

very interetsed inthe standard 4sped maunal will bolt up to the engine

does anyone have furthur information on this

pete