HybridZ

Speartech Harness

Well John at Speartech called on Fridayand left a message that my LS1/T56 harness was ready! He is also going to be able to include a hookup for the A/C pressure line that I will use to hookup and monitor a wideband O2 setup. :D

I should see it next week and I'll snap a pic.

Thank's John!

Dale

Well John at Speartech called on Fridayand left a message that my LS1/T56 harness was ready! He is also going to be able to include a hookup for the A/C pressure line that I will use to hookup and monitor a wideband O2 setup. :D

I should see it next week and I'll snap a pic.

Thank's John!

Dale

That's great. If he is done with yours mine is next. More LS1 Z cars on the road soon.

Keep us updated.

I got mine back a couple of weeks ago, looked very nice. Wish I had thought of the wide band O2 deal. Now If summit would deliver my fuel cell and the guy doing my radiator would finish it up and I need a fuel pump and some fuel line and..... so it goes. Mark

Hey everyone, I have a 1973 240Z that I'm planning on converting to a LS1/T56. I will probably use parts from John's Cars to do the conversion. If I get a complete LS1/T56 with everything still connected, will I still need this Speartech Harness :?:

Thanks,

Bart

From what I understand the wiring for the LS1 is similar in complexity to the LT1. I wired in the oem harness for the LT1 and it is not difficult at all. I just can't see spending hundreds of $$$ on these aftermarket harnesses for something that is so easy. Just get the factory service manual and go circuit by circuit.....it only ends up being about 8 wires that need attention.....

Hey everyone' date=' I have a 1973 240Z that I'm planning on converting to a LS1/T56. I will probably use parts from John's Cars to do the conversion. If I get a complete LS1/T56 with everything still connected, will I still need this Speartech Harness :?:

Thanks,

Bart[/quote']

Bart,

Welcome to the ranks of the LS1 Z car group. You can use the stock harness if you are good with wiring and are able to lookup all the pin outs and tap into the proper wires. You will also be limited as to where you can place the ECU. The custom harness is made to order so if you want to place the ECU under the passenger seat (where I am putting it) they will provide te additional length you need. They also remove all unnessasary wires. I have enough to do on this swap that i didn't want to spend hours going through the Helm manual trying to figure it all out. I also didn't want the ECU in the engine compartment.

It's up to you. Speartech and others can modify the stock harness for less than a custom one too.

As for John's Cars stuff, the quality of the parts are great. His mounts position the motor nicely. Just keep in mind that his prototype was a 280Z and some of the parts do not fit a 240Z (trans crossmember) and the 240Z stuff is still in development. He is a good guy but if you are in a hurry, I would suggest you not wait for the Trans crossmember. I am using the JTR crossmember with Johns Motor Mounts.

:?: I'm trying to decide which way to go on my harness. Have Speartech modify my existing harness or do it myself using the baker electronics LIM (http://www.bakerelectronix.com). Does Speartech wire in a black box similar to Baker LIM? If not, do they provide relays for the starter, AC, fuelpump, high and low speed fans etc? Anybody have a pic of a modified Speartech harness? Anybody have experience with the Baker LIM? Thanks. Tom

:?: I'm trying to decide which way to go on my harness. Have Speartech modify my existing harness or do it myself using the baker electronics LIM (http://www.bakerelectronix.com[/url']). Does Speartech wire in a black box similar to Baker LIM? If not, do they provide relays for the starter, AC, fuelpump, high and low speed fans etc? Anybody have a pic of a modified Speartech harness? Anybody have experience with the Baker LIM? Thanks. Tom

Tom,

Here is the response I got from Speartech about their harnesses"

1) We include the fuel pump relay with our harnesses. We include the wiring to hook up to the fan relays so that they will be computer controlled, but do not include the relays due to so many fan kits on the market. We don't include a starter relay, nor do we even use one on any of our applications.

2) The main wires to hook up are a power wire to the battery, a wire to the ignition switch, and the wire from the fuel pump relay that goes back to the pump itself. This gets you up and running. We also include labelled wires for the various gauges, brake switch, etc., that can be considered as optional.

3) Unfortunately since our harnesses are built custom for each project, there is a wait. The time various by workload; we are running around 3 weeks at the moment.

Here's an overview of what we offer:

A new stand-alone LS1 harness is $750.00. The harness includes a check engine light, diagnostic connector, fuel pump relay, wires for a computer controlled cooling fan relay, and labeled wires for easy hookup to the battery, ignition switch, and fuel pump. Wires are also included for tach, speed, oil pressure, water temperature, and brake switch / park-neutral switch functions where applicable. These custom stand alone harnesses are built for full function, closed loop control, and designed for non-emissions use (no post-cat O2's, A.I.R. pump, purge canister, or fuel tank evap interface). The harnesses can be built to your desired length specifications.

A factory harness rework service is also offered as long as the original harness is in good shape, and the PCM location and overall appearance of the harness is acceptable to you. The rework service converts the harness to stand-alone use, with the same features listed above. The charge for the harness re-work is $450.00. The factory reworked harnesses can retain full emissions capability if desired.

We also offer complete PCM (computer) reprogramming so that your engine runs properly in its new home. The basic charge for LS1 reprogramming is $300.00 and includes your choice of a number of things such as: VATS (vehicle anti-theft system) removal, emissions equipment removal (whatever you don’t need or are not using on your swap such as: EGR, catalytic converters, A.I.R. pump, rear O2 sensors, fuel tank pressure, EVAP, etc.), as well as lower fan turn on temps, raised rev limiter, new gear ratio, tire size, etc.

The reprogramming lets your new engine run properly without the “check engine†light being on all of the time.

All wiring harnesses and PCM programming are done on-site, in our facility.

John

Speartech Fuel Injection Systems, Inc.

www.speartech.com

I asked speartech about the Baker LIM and here is what they said:

"You could use that if you wanted. I don't know anything about it. We can bring out our wires and label them if you want to hook them up to something like that. It looks like it contains a lot of stuff you don't need, but you could use it for your fan and fuel pump relays."

John

Speartech Fuel Injection Systems, Inc.

http://www.speartech.com

My harness should be ready soon.

I hope this helps.

Here's a picture of the harness. The quality is top notch, the labels are well done, the O2 wires are extended to accommodate headers, the cable has been extended to fit it in the cab, and a connection to the A/C pressure sensor was included to be used as a wideband O2 input. John also included a couple of feed through wires for and other gauges if needed.

Harness.jpg

Dale

David: Thanks for the info. I emailed Speartech a few days ago and have yet to receive a response...

Dale: Thanks for the pic. Harness looks great. Looks like you went the new harness route. $750 is too pricey for me for a new harness. I wonder what the reworked harness looks like.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the UPS man brought me another present today. My Speartech Wiring Harness arrived and boy does it look good. Well worth the wait. The quality is first class and all connections are just like OEM. The labels are very clear and the instructons are good too.

I ordered it on July 21st and it came on Sept. 10th so that is about 7 weeks for those of you that need to know a time frame.

I need to make more time to get back to work on the car. I miss driving my Z! I want it back on the road. I am tired of being a member of the Jackstand Racing Crew.