HybridZ

Scraping sound in diff??

Guest jake

I have a R200 3.9 diff.

Everytime I shift down into 2nd gear the diff makes a scraping or grinding sound. It doesn't do it when the clutch is in. In General the diff makes some pretty bizarre noises. What's up with that :?:

It's hard to tell what it is without hearing it.Your better off just buying another one cause it would cost more to fix yours

I have a R200 3.9 diff.

Everytime I shift down into 2nd gear the diff makes a scraping or grinding sound. It doesn't do it when the clutch is in. In General the diff makes some pretty bizarre noises. What's up with that :?:

Ahh.. I don't know about that.. It might be something not even IN the diff (U joint, driveshaft, transmision..) And to be honest, my 280z does that too (as have ALL my previous Z cars, and a 200sx I had.. all with varying amounds of the 'noise') I would say if it ONLY happens in 2nd gear, it might be a syncro/bearing going in your tranny.. For starters, I'd change the fluid in the trans and diff, and check all your driveshafts/u-joints out...

Yeh, I agree about the syncro sound if its clunking or a grinding while going into second but he said "In General the diff makes some pretty bizarre noises. What's up with that ?" so if it is the diff only... I would still replace it...it's cheaper.

Ahh.. I don't know about that.. It might be something not even IN the diff (U joint, driveshaft, transmision..) And to be honest, my 280z does that too (as have ALL my previous Z cars, and a 200sx I had.. all with varying amounds of the 'noise') I would say if it ONLY happens in 2nd gear, it might be a syncro/bearing going in your tranny.. For starters, I'd change the fluid in the trans and diff, and check all your driveshafts/u-joints out...

Well, it's hard to tell here what exactly the 'bizarre' noises are.. Mine makes a 'wirrring' sound when I get off the throttle and let the drivetrain slow the car, and makes a diffrent 'eeeeeeeee..' sound on acceleration. I put both of these up to and old rear end that is probly very worn, and has old/low fluid. I have a leak or 3.. :oops: .. and all the u-joints are making a bit of noise.

As for khashabi1's coment, I still don't agree with the 'just replacing it cause it'd be cheaper' thing.. Cheaper than what? Sourcing out/purchasing a rear dif that has the same ratio's, and getting one you would trust to be better? And while your at it, are you gona just re-use the old u-joints out back? Plus all the nuts/bolts to fight with and probly replace? Dont forget a diff mount too.. and fresh fluid for this replacement diff.. (you dont wana slap in a used diff with out craking it and checking it out/replacing fluid do you?!?)

I would think with new bearings/seals and the addition of good fluid, it could be saved and the noise may dissapear... and IMHO this would be cheaper.. and a better place to start either way..

Just my $.02

Trust me. It's cheaper to replace it. The bearings are not cheap, gear sets are very pricey, and a used one of almost any ratio can be had for under $100. You could try 4 or 5 before you hit the cost of bearings and labor on a rebuild, assuming you can't do any of the labor yourself.

thanks for the help. The sound does come from the rear. So I don't think it is the tranny. I hear A sound all the time, not just in 2nd. But that is when its really loud. It is different than that normal whirrrrring sound. I get that whining sound in all gears but that doesn't really bother me. I changed the driveshaft but that didn't help.

As far as I'm concerned I think I would be better off buying another diff. It is a pain though. The first one I got was a 3.7. The guy told me it was a 3.9 so I had to ship it back. (this gets pricey)

Does anyone have a 3.9? The best way to know is to pop the cover off and check the stampings. I will not buy one unless the seller does this. I don't want to deal with more issues!

Did the 3.7 ratios even come in as an open? If not then you sent back a 3.7LSD! :shock:

Have you pulled the rear cover yet? That would be my first step after determining that it is for sure coming from the rearend. Look for large metal pieces like bearing material or parts of gears. There is always a small amount of metal shavings but large pieces is deffinetly not normal!

The cost of rebuilding a rear diff can get pricey when you dont know how to do it. The cost of new bearings and seals isnt so bad but if your gears are shot then its time for a different differental. But a diff rebuild normally doesnt include replacing the gears, just the bearings and seals and makig sure everything is lined up properly. So if you know how to rebuild a diff or have the paitence to learn(not really that difficult if you have a manual and the tools to do it) I would say buy some bearings and seals and rebuild it.

Guy