HybridZ

A cool HybridZ and Supra halfshaft conversion

CruxGNZ

• 9 months later...

Hey All!!

Yes, this is my website you have found here about putting Supra Halfshafts on a 280z. This is actually the weblink to the conversion:

I havn't been on this site in ages, and they deleted my original post about this, and changed all my other posts to "Anonymous". Guess I should come over here more often. Had to create a new profile.

My car that has the Supra shafts on it is a '75 with a Ford 347 and a T5 in it. I am guessing it's about 350hp, and I have not had a problem yet with the shafts after about 20k mi. I run big 275/40/17's on the back, too. I researched Supra shafts on a Supra forum, and I did not find anyone of those guys complaining that they broke a shaft. When I did the conversion, I did it quick and easy in my backyard with a stickwelder. If I had to do it again, I would make the adapter plates with a special hole cut in them to fit over (not on top like you see in the pics) the Z flanges, weld them on, then have the mounting surfaces retrued on a lathe (to correct the warp of welding), and then have the pilot diameters cut as a last step. This would also leave the shafts about 1/2-3/8" longer which is preferable.

I am also the guy who originally came up with the idea of putting a Neal pulling slave cylinder to operate the clutch on a Ford-T5 combo.

This is my car, but I have taken off the injecton and put a carb back on since I posted this: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/543729

Enigma

I really dig your car, and I am very interested in doing this swap. I already have the plates cut out. I cut the perimiter and the holes out of a piece of steel a little thicker than called for on your blue print. Very detailed prints I might add. I plan on welding them up and finishing them on a lathe as you suggested. What do you mean by leaving the shafts 1/2-3/4" longer? Do the supra shafts extend and contract like the stock half shafts? Did you have the CV shafts balanced. Have you had any problems with vibration? Thanks for the help.

• 11 months later...

I'd like to know if anybody else has done this... i looked up the price of the CV axle from the toyota they are 65 bucks with a 25 dollar core charge for brand new with a 7 yr 70,000 mile warranty. so 130 bucks plus 50 in core charge and some machining cost... seems like this would be the cheapest/best solution.

-Ed

• 2 weeks later...