HybridZ

A Hybrid....Ferrari 550 Testa Rossa?

pparaska

Maybe some of you know about this car already, but I didn't and figured others might find this amusing...what happens when you google - you find what you want (hopefully) and usually things you weren't looking for...!

I've always said that putting a V8 in the Z is no big deal, it's a mass produced car, and that it's not like it's a hand-built classic Ferrari or something!

Well, I was googling for a deal on a new Canton (or other quality) road race oil pan, using the terms:

"oil pan" "road race" chevrolet

I did find that Livermore Performance seems to have a good price.

But I was on the sixth page of results and this was one of the selections:

"

1956 Ferrari 500 Testa Rossa s/n 0652 MD/TR

... in the Brynfan Tyddyn, Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania open road race. ... Chevrolet engine

removed and a Tipo 128F 3 ... The right cylinder head and oil pan were removed to ...

http://www.ibeam-net.com/pvr/0652MDTR_back.html - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

I HAD to look. Searched the page and found "Chevrolet":

"

Fall 1959

Sold by or through Carrol Shelby who was involved in a Texas car dealership with fellow Texans, Gary Laughlin, Alan Connel, Alan Guiberson and possibly John Mecom at various times. Purchased by Harry Washburn of Shreevesport Louisiana. Many years later Washburns mechanic as would Shelby himself relate a similar story of the sale of this vehicle as well as Shelby’s earlier exploits with the car. Washburn raced the car in much of 1959 and 1960. Initialy the car retained it’s 2.0-liter twin cam four cylinder motor. The car was then fitted later with a Tipo 128 C inside plug V12 motor but apparently did not ever race with this engine due to continual overheating problems. Washburn’s mechanics then fitted the car with a 283 cubic inch, 283 bhp Chevrolet V8. (The original motor was rumored to have been seen in Mexico City in the early 1960’s and has not been seen since.) Washburn then entered the car in variety of races throughout the South East and Central United States. Washburn had another Ferrari also fitted with a Chevrolet V8, this was a 750 Monza, chassis 0502M which he campaigned alongside 0652 MDTR. Durring Washburns ownership the car also gained a fiberglass front end with a small oval grill opening that greatly resembled his 750 Monza.

Sept. 6, 1959

Entered and raced by Washburn in the SCCA Races at Mansfield, Louisiana wearing race No. 47 with unkown results.

Oct. 11, 1959

Entered and raced by Washburn at Midland, Texas in the Preliminary Event where he took a third overall. In the Main Event that same day he scored a 6th overall.

Jul. 17, 1960

Entered and raced by Washburn in the SCCA Hammond, Louisiana Races wearing race No. 47 where he took a 2nd place overall.

Jul. 31, 1960

Entered by Washburn at the Hilltop, Louisiana Raceway and driven by Bill Fuller of Oakdale, Louisiana to a 1st place overall.

Aug. 21, 1960

Entered by Washburn at the SCCA Nationals at Louisville, Kentucky and again driven by Bill Fuller, possibly wearing race No. 17. Raced with unknown results.

Sold by Harry Washburn to Lionel Jeannard. Later Sold by Lionel Jeannard to John Stone, Jr. Then Sold by John Stone, Jr. to Charlie Kemp the Ferrari dealer in Jackson, Mississippi.

Found in the back of Kemp’s workshop by John Baldwin of Covington, Louisiana fitted with a fiberglass front end Kemp then sold the car to John Baldwin. A full comprehensive restoration was then begun by Mike Dopudja of Denver, Colorado. Chevrolet engine removed and a Tipo 128F 3-liter V12 (s/n 1861GT) was rebuilt to “TR†specifications and installed. Fuel cell hidden inside original fuel tank, full fire system and disc brakes fitted.

..."

Now I can even say that a famous racing Ferrari 550TR (Testa Rossa) (Raced by Masten Gregory and Carroll Shelby) had a SBC in it for 20 YEARS! !!!

But I think the Tipo V12 with the 6 downdrafts looks MUCH better in there!

I have to wonder if Carroll Shelby knew his former race car was changed over to a SBC (maybe he got whooped by it?) and got the idea there. I've seen the original Scarab race car, the Allard-Cad, etc, but a Ferrari-Chevy?

NOW I've seen it all - and that pristine 73 Z that some were attacking someone here about "cutting up" to put a LS1 in? Kind of puts it in perspective, no?

Mind you, I actually have no problem with Washburn having his mechanics do this swap. He probably saw it as a way to make the car reliable (using the Chevrolet 283). But I'm very glad the car was restored and shown and vintage raced ever since 1979!

Wow. If you thought the Z purists were bad can you imagine what the ferrari loyalist would think if they saw that car. I agree with you 100%. I don't have any problem with the previous owner putting in a chevy V8 probably for maintanance reasons but I'm also glad the car was restored and the Tipo V12 looks MUCH MUCH better in there.

• 2 weeks later...

dude, that's like... putting a gokart engine in a R1 bike...

But hey, doesn't bother me a bit.

The testa rossa i believe is the ferrari in feris beuler's day off (great movie). Only the one in the movie was a 2 seater, so different model.

Shelby probly wouldn't be mad, by 59 i think he'd aleady been toying with the daytona coupe idea. And soon to come he had his 289 A/C, so could he really complain?

If there is anyone who do a little less complaining it would be shelby.

But yea, that would be the funniest thing "hey, what kind of motor do ya got in that thing? V12? V10? Something else?" "Nope, i got a chevy small block..."

The testa rossa i believe is the ferrari in feris beuler's day off (great movie). Only the one in the movie was a 2 seater' date=' so different model.[/quote']

The car in Ferris Bueller was a 250GT California Spider (My dream ride...)

And that car was actually *drum roll* a Z car! Well, it was a Z car at one point in it's life.

!M!

AAAAAAHH!

V8s....poo poo :D

Hey Matt, I thought the Ferris Bueller car was made from a kit...tube frame and all. I might be wrong though. I was looking at them with a twelve in mind but the disign would only hold a small Ford eight.

Over heating V12....go on...really... :roll: