HybridZ

New Custom Hood Vent Prototype

Sleek Z

A customer and Z buddy of mine dropped by to show me a new custom hood vent design that he's been developing. He has several refinements planned for it's next evolution, but I thought it might interest some of you to see what he's come up with so far. I'd like to get both pro or con opinions about what is pictured below. What alterations or changes to this design would you all like like to see made? What do you like most about the design and look in first prototype?

Pictured below is a passenger side vent mounted to a black 77-78 hood. Silver frame is CNC'd out of stainless steel. Front of hood is to your left as you look at the photo.

DCP_3499rw1.jpg

I didn't think to ask him, but keep in mind that the stock setup on the 77-78 cars only had a drip pan underneath the driver's side originally. Because these custom vents bolt up to the stock mount holes on the hood that would mean that the stock drip pan could also be bolted on in stock positon underneath the hood vent if so desired.

It's ok. I don't think that the horizontal groves are working though from a design standpoint. Too much going on ie: grooves and holes. Plus the two tone material. Just a little busy. I definately like the concept though about a flush fitting cnc'ed grill. And get rid of the Z. Too kitch

I tend to agree with innerware and his input on the vent. Looks a bit busy to me as well. My recommendation would be to have a plain SS finishing trim without the center rib (would allow more air flow) and the slots. Also, provide a screen in silver or the same finish as the trim piece. Keep it simple clean and functional. As they say....form follows function!!! Overall, it does look nice. Just my 2 cents worth. :D

My 0.02 Hide the mounting fasteners on the four corners. Might shrink the borders thus increasing venting area. Nice rectangle-angle, Center emblem is ok, maybe circle that center emblem rather than the band. Maybe instead of holes, how about interlocking Zs. I'm sure a CNC laser could zap an awesome pattern. I agree with innerware, could loose the grooves (a little too bussy, all those different paterns). Nice work! keep it up.

I agree, hide the mounting hardware. my only other thing is IMO yellow accent doesn't work for most color cars but that's an easy fix.

maybe make the existing vents narrower (or shrink the borders and move them outward) make the Z taller and add a split 3rd channel on both sides of the Z

/-----------

/ --- Z --- <- something like this

/-----------

just my 2 bits, but I think I would still buy one if it where made availible (not a yellow one tho, no offence to anyone who likes yellow)

It's good to see new designs being thought of to spruce up the z's. I like the idea of the machined border, but without the "z" and the slots it would seem to look better. Maybe the screen underneath could be removable from the stainless steel border to be painted the same color as the car and it would blend in better. A drip pan to divert the water and still allow airflow would be a good idea.

Brian

81zxturbo

95slobaru

Hi Gang

I thought I'd weigh in with a few pro & con thoughts of my own on the vents and to thank everyone for some very good and thoughtful observations and opinions. Very much appreciated.

1. I know that the creator of the vents will be most interested to read this thread once he gets free from other pressing life demands.

2. The maker of the vents told me that the gold (not "yellow") looking anodized mesh shown in the photo was not intended as final choice to go with the stainless steel frame. He told me that the gold mesh material just happened to be laying around the machine shop when he was trying to rouigh out his first design and cnc cut test.

Here it might be useful to point out, however, that if one were to envision a Z car painted in a black, charcoal, or dark color that was running a set of the classic looking, gold centered with polished silver lip, Enkei 92 wire mesh wheels then you could see how even the present design could look outstanding with the gold mesh vents mount on the hood. Picture a dark car with the gold center vents matched to Enkei 92's displayed below.

DCP_0370.jpg

3. The creator of the vent design would be in agreement with the many that expressed concern about the design being too gaudy or busy. I believe he intends to try to refine the design to avoid it looking excessive in ornate detail or "kitch" as someone put it.

Even though I too felt reservations about the small, angular slots added around the frame, it's worth keeping in mind that Nissan angled it's air slots at same angle so that when the pair on the car's hood were viewed together as a pair or set, they formed a kind of chevron pattern centered on the hood. In the photo of the one you do not see the potential of the slotted holes forming a visual effect on a hood remincent of Nissan's original design.

4. Creator and I discussed different methods to mount the corners. He'd either use a polished or chromed thorx flush head screw or add it as a hidden post threaded or welded to underneath side. I suggested possible use of a small, very low crown, chromed stove bolt head for a finishing touch.

5. Regarding whether gold mesh would impede hot air venting, most likely only an air dynamics engineer could analyze that accurately. Personally, it is not clear to me what air flow rate would have to flow through the vents to make a major difference under the hood, but I do remember that when I swapped in a vented hood on my turbo charged 73 240Z years ago, that the under hood temperatures really dropped very noticeably.

6. As for the aesthetics of the classic "Z" logo cnc'd into center area, I was not comfortable with the effect. For one I do not care much for that particular Nissan Z design. It looks too much like a symbol out of a medieval heraldry book to me. I would prefer a much more modern and elongated Z that stretched out more along center vent divider piece or none at all.

The maker and I also had thoughts of inserting a Z symbol made out of 3D looking, translucent, color plastic that could be lite with a small light bulb from underneath for a cool, if not slightly "camp" look after dark.

7. Lastly, the whole question of whether flat, two dimensional, CNC'd metal can look finished enough on a body piece (hood) that has so many subtle and sensuous three dimensional aspects to it's make up, became a persistent one for me. Put differently, a hood has smooth, gently changing and flowing lines all symbolizing speed through air and sensual or sports car design. Question I have is whether flat, thin, sharp edged, CNC cutout designs harmonize with the smooth curving lines of the Z hood or should a custom vent design aim to have a more complimentary, three dimensional, raised detail design to better harmonize with the look of the Nissan hood in order to look more finished and justified as a substiture for the original, OEM vent inserts?

OK, well those are a few thoughs of my own which have accumulated over the years while I have weighed possible custom designs of my own. Maybe some of them will fuel a bit more thought on this topic.

Thanks again everyone for expressing their reservations, preferences and compliments. Maybe the creator of the vents will weigh in later this week about the next evolution of his design that he has in mind.