HybridZ

So I Got My ZX Turbo Professionally Appraised..!!

slownrusty

Hey Gang - Well I decided since I have all this time, effort and a few bucks put into this dang car, I should have it professionally appraised for my insurance company.

The Appraiser came over to my house and spent a solid hour or so examining the paint, suspension, engine, brakes, wheelstires and interior. He was pretty impressed and liked all the custom stuff. He was very honest and said that he had never done a S130 ZX but had done many 240-280Z and quite a few SBC conversions as well. He has been in the business about 22years. As I was talking about all the details on the car he was writing it all down on a note pad and also went through my 3+" stack of receipts as well!!

Well it took him a full week to finally assess the value of the car and prepare a report based on the extensive modifications and the final price he came up with is (drum roll)..........

$12,000 (even). My car is classified as "Special Customized and Modified Engine Suspension and Drivetrain".

The best part is I qualify for the cheaper Haggerty Classic Car Insurance, which is cool, as this particlar Appraiser is recognized and honored by Haggerty. So I will save a few bucks on insurance, I will have to call them and see what the exact savings is per year and also the stipulations (for example only being able to drive XX miles per year etc etc).

I was quite pleased with that number but was hoping for a smidge more. He told me that it would be hard to justify a higher number as the ZX has not officially made it to "Classic Collector Car" status like say a Datsun 240Z or RA Celica.

The Appraiser was a very cool guy and very much a true gearhead, he was pretty impressed with some of the things I have done to my ZX and also my Turbo Corolla and even wanted to hire me to work on some of his own cars as he has a pretty big collection.

It cost me $100 to have the car appraised and I full encourage you guys to have your cars appraised as well especially if you car is clean and modified, as if it ever gets smacked up or stolen, it would be a bitter pill to swallow if the insurance company writes you a check based on the Blue Book (approx $1800-$2000). So $100 is really piece of mind, crap you will spend that on a set of RCAs!!

Well thought I would share.

Regards - Yasin

Sweet, now you can have a piece of mind when driving down the road. Im probably going to get mine appraised when its done, as long as I can stay under the mileage requirement. I would hate to get nailed and only get 1200 bucks from insurance on a car that at least has 15k of parts and time spent on it and thats extremely modest.

My car has never been appraised, but is insured for $20k. When I had my little :oops: with the "Z meets Z-28", the damage was $3500. The car would have 'totalled out' at $1100, but all repairs were done and paid for without the insurance company batting an eyelid. Farmers insurance rules!!!

Yeah but you(Tim) have 8 vehicles insured with them. If they lost you as a customer it would be like loosing 3 normal households! :wink:

It really makes a difference if you are a good customer. Like when I first bought my truck 4 years ago. I was paying $150ish a month for full coverage. After about 6 months my lower door hinge broke off on the drivers side. So I told them the wind blew the door open and it broke the hinge. So they paid the $260 to get it fixed. But from their stand point they had already took $900 from me so they were still waaaaaaay ahead. They knew it was BS but they also didnt what to piss of a guy paying $150ish a month! LOL

Insurance companies are like car sales men.....they can be really nice or they can be real dicks depending on the situation!

Guy

My car has never been appraised, but is insured for $20k. When I had my little :oops: with the "Z meets Z-28", the damage was $3500. The car would have 'totalled out' at $1100, but all repairs were done and paid for without the insurance company batting an eyelid. Farmers insurance rules!!!

Tim240z,.... I'm shocked!!!!! This is the first time I had to reread one of your sentences to make it understandable :shock::wink: . It must be that DAMN FRANCES...... :roll:

LARRY

Guest bastaad525

I'm really concerned about this myself. Living in SoCal, getting hit in my Z, to me, is more a matter of WHEN than IF. I really want to be covered for my full investment (only around $10,000 tops) WHEN something does happen, but, how much more am I going to be paying in premiums per month/year to cover this? I'm paying just liability right now, maybe $30 a month? Even full coverage on my '91 Sentra SE-R, valued at about $3500, is only about $40 a month, that's full coverage though. I'm afraid to ask my insurance co. about the possible increase in rates to cover the Z because I dont want to let on that it's modified and then they jack up my rates anyways... so can anyone possibly give me an idea what I'll have to pay?

My car has never been appraised' date=' but is insured for $20k. When I had my little :oops: with the "Z meets Z-28", the damage was $3500. The car would have 'totalled out' at $1100, but all repairs were done and paid for without the insurance company batting an eyelid. Farmers insurance rules!!![/quote']

Tim240z,.... I'm shocked!!!!! This is the first time I had to reread one of your sentences to make it understandable :shock::wink: . It must be that DAMN FRANCES...... :roll:

LARRY

Larry...a function of too much multi-tasking......all fixed now :oops::oops: