HybridZ

Is this color too much?

Metallicar

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for your positive remarks. All of the black pieces I painted are Satin Black (Rustoleum). I read on this site, that a few have done this, with good results. I thinned it, out of the can with Acetone, a bit on the thin side. It did spray well.

This week, I went though another right of passage, I istalled new windscreen and hatch glass weatherstrips, by myself. I am amazed that it went as well as it did. I first did the hatch with coaxial wire. Never again, what a pain in the ***. For the front, I spent some time reading on some web sites and decided to use 3/8" rope. The rope was much much easier. The fat diameter was the right size for sure.

My Z is a stock 77 280 2+2. The hood is bone stock. I guess the satin black has a way of deception. The only two exterior mods are the early 260 bumpers and the homemade, lower front grille.

What did you use for bumper brackets? I like the 280z lower valance shape. It has a nice big opening...

site1055.JPG

What did you use for bumper brackets? I like the 280z lower valance shape. It has a nice big opening...

I modified the original 280Z Bumper mounts. First, I removed the stock mounts from the car (all four) and released the gas and oil from the pistons. Then I removed the inside tube and piston assemblies. I learned, after the first one it was easy just to sawzall them off as opposed to trying to unscrew the plunger inside. I welded 1" x 1" x 1/8"angle, approx 12" long on both sides of the outer tube so that 6" extended out to the approximate bumper location. I then figured out where I wanted the bumper to be. After a bit of dry fitting, I cut a bird mouth on the ends of the angles to weld a 1-1/4" pipe to. The pipe is about 5" long and intersects both of the angles and now sits inside the 240Z bumper. I drilled the pipe to fit the stock 240Z bumper.

I am now sorry I did not photograph along the way.

This is a quick and dirty drawing:

site1060.jpg

The Rear Mount was even more fun. I did not like the bumper sitting as low as it would have, if I merely did the same as the front. The bumper was too low for my taste. So I had to make my new extenders offset upwards out side of the rear apron and added small gussets to provide strength.

site1059.jpg

I like it!

I always thought it was British racing green (a darker green) that was bad luck.

Reminds me of the green the Jaguar group 04 & 44 cars wore in the late 80`s.

They were and are some of my all time favorites.

I like the black hood but don`t know about the black hatch . . .

• 3 years later...

Somehow, Bobby Labonte of NASCAR fame actually won a Winston cup championship (before they were all referred to as Sprint cup championships like Winston never existed).........with a bright green and black Pontiac sponsored by Interstate Batteries.

I love those colors, and actually painted my alcohol racing cart in the #18 interstate Batteries colors and was very succsesful with it also.