HybridZ

Resufacing rocker arms

heavy85

I read on an old post that Norm resurfaced his rocker arms on his 12 second Z ..... and I dont want to spend the $$ for new ones ..... but I want a new cam ..... got me thinking I should just resurface the one's I've got. Any advice on this - I was kind of thinking to sand down the surface to get rid of the old wear marks then move to progressively finer paper untill it was real shiny. Does this sound reasonable?

Cameron

You can resurface the arms on wet/dry... approx 280 - 320 grit from memory was what I used last time. You have to be careful to keep them straight, and clean up the tips at the same time. One the engine is running again, watch for scuffing on the lobes and rocker arms. If any start to scuff, pull the rocker arm and clean up lightly again on wet/dry and do the same for the cam.

I had a set professionally reconditioned (new are basically NA in Australia), and the stone they used was not - the cam lobes were running on only about half the surface area of the rocker arm. Killed the cam...

Why not use the 320 grit paper then hit them with a buffer if its available. Woulnt the near mirror surface be a good thing. Just asking because I was thinking of this myself. I need to get a set race prepped anyway. Hopefully that should not be very expensive.

I picked the best of the bunch in my collection of about 100 or more rocker arms ensuring the castings were all similar. I wouldn't attempt resuracing them by hand on deeply worn rockers though. I used some medium emory, then fine emory, then some 320 wet and 400 wet. Came out very nice. It didn't take all that long. Just set the abrasive side up on a table and run the rockers slowly back and forth with a slight rocking motion until you no longer see the line from cam wear. Try to keep pressure even on both sides while you do this, and turn the rocker over frequently to visually check that you are grinding it evenly and not round ing the surface side to side or putting a flat spot on the rocker.

I haven't been over to Delta cams for awhile. They profiled an L4 cam for me one time that I had no info on and they were good to work with and I remember being impressed with the good quality/price of their work.

Does anyone have experience with their cam grinds, especially for L6 turbo, or rocker arm resurfacing? DAW

Try the following email address.

Mitch Mitchamore of Mitchamore's Garage in Texas.

He used to be on ebay all of the time.

Does Cams and Followers.

They look very good and mike out true as well. I don't have enough time on them yet to say more.

E. E. Mitchamore <emitch@worldnet.att.net>