HybridZ

"Kompressor" Z

SHO-Z

Well I just bought a Mercedes Benz SLK230 Eaton M62 Supercharger for my 260Z off of ebay for $200, oh well got to spend the money on something. The project plan is to use forced induction on round top SU carbs. The neat thing with this set up is the “Kompressor†has a electric clutch like an air conditioner and can be turned off when I want to run around on regular fuel. Still have a lot of designing and research to do to make things work. Would like around 10 PSI of boost when finished.

I had a similar set-up when I supercharged my 1987 RWD Corolla GT-S. I used the Toyota derived Eaton supecharger . This supercharger also had an electric clutch but was driven off the TPS that was then linked back to a relay and then the car's ECU and was only engaged when the accelerator was at a certain position (naturally in the accelerating position).

I had a custom crank and supercharger pulley machined for me and ran 14psi all day long, the car was incredible and the list of victims is longer than my arm.

I miss that car..... :(

Here is a pic of my supercharged set-up, I believe I was one of the first sets of enthusiasts in the U.S to attempt this conversion, while keeping all the factory EFI, and emissions friendly and 30mpg all day long.

Yasin

13821634.jpg

13821649.jpg

8592629.jpg

Good luck!! Would love to hear the progress of your install.

Yasin

Guest bastaad525

I dunno what SHO-Z is planning on doing exactly, but forced induction and SU"s has been tried quite a few times and usually ends up being more trouble than it's worth. For one, don't even think of running that with only one SU... someone here did try running a single SU, suck thru turbo system and had issues with the SU not being able to keep up with fuel demands. Secondly, I've seen pull thru dual SU turbo setups, and the major complaint there is that they are just a PITA to get tuned and to keep them in tune.

Stock SU's were pretty close to their limit feeding a stock 2.4L 6 cylinder. And before Norm comes in to yell at me :D yes they can be made to run even 2.9 liters or more, and do it well with simple mods like running richer needles and such, but I think asking them to keep up with forced induction on top of a 2.8L motor may just be asking too much. Just something to consider....

As I said that I am still in the design portion of the project. I have to weigh the options of using a ZX turbo FI set up against carb. After sleeping on it the SU is out. Might have to use some type of 4 brl or stacked dual side drafts. It might be fun to set it up first with the carb see how it works and then try the FI. There is still a lot of research and planning to do. I still have to figure out how this set up will affect the vacuum system, ignition, intake manifold, general layout and all. But this is part of the fun!

Any and all information and comments are appreciated

Wow! That supercharged corolla and zx really kick arse! I like the injector setup on the gold engine. That is really creative and looks organized. Very close to the side and the hood, though? Wish I could check out either of those cars, I bet they really scream! :-D

Brian

81zxturbo

95slobaru

Most of the eaton supercharger used by GM and Ford use a bypass around the supercharger when the power is not needed. Mercedes use a electic clutch, like and an air conditioner compressor in a car. In that it is not turning at the time reduces wear and less hp drag. The air passes throuh the rotors on the supercharger.

Seems like it would be more drag passing the air through the SC while it wasn't spinning. Still a very interesting set up. I think I am definitely going to pick one up for my 620, it could be fun!

The rotors still spin when the clutch is disengaged. It is just that they are driven by the vacuum of the motor. Old style super charged cars had no problem getting home with a blown belt. It is just a little harder on the fuel economy. :wink:

I have seen some V8 cars running both fuel injection and a carb... I was just wondering if you all think that this might be useable in this application by using the SU carb to run the car when off the supercharger and when turned on then the efi is also turned on to add fuel?

Guest bastaad525
I have seen some V8 cars running both fuel injection and a carb... I was just wondering if you all think that this might be useable in this application by using the SU carb to run the car when off the supercharger and when turned on then the efi is also turned on to add fuel?

Sounds like it'd be more trouble than it's worth. But then, definately not impossible :D

Eric,

Chances are they were running a four-barrel Air-Door which looks just like a carburettor.

I would bet they are EFI cars. My 260 Project looks something like that. Two 550CC injectors in the float bowls of the carburettors, hidden wiring, hidden sensors....

Muahahaha...

Now even Moon Equipment is selling Stromberg Replicas so o9lder Flathead Fords can have two injectors per "throttle body" and EFI, but LOOK like old-school Triple or Quad Strombergs complete with the littel "ship vent" stacks...

If in doubt, check it out. Some guys are very adept at cultivating a look. A non-EFI look. :D

DON'T!

I have seen guys with 40 years on flatheads walk by a roadster at teh GoodGuys show, not giving the engine a second look, unitl I say something like "Hey! That's EFI!"

Usually it's "No, those are strombergs, son." And then you ask what the little black switch is on one of the throttle plates, and BOY, the sunglasses come off, people stoop, scrutinize, and "I'll be damned" usually gets uttered a few times.

Unless you look closely, you can miss it. Unfamiliarity is not stupidity. We have all been there. :lol: